Recommended performance (only) videos for study

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
IanB

Recommended performance (only) videos for study

Postby IanB » February 28th, 2003, 1:16 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in studying close-up performance videos to look at "the masters" in terms of personality and character, timing, audience interaction, etc. And I guess, just for enjoyment too.

Are there any videos anyone could recommend? I'm thinking here of world-class performers in their prime performing for real audiences (rather than the "staged" magic video audiences we're all familiar with). I've no desire to have any of the effects on the video's explained, but would just like to see them in action.

Many thanks,

Ian

Re: Recommended performance (only) videos for study

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 12:04 am

If you can get the three recordings of Slydini on the Dick Cavett show from the late '70s or early 80's , you will be hard pressed to find anything better. Slydini was superb on these three specials and Dick was a great audience, even though he was Slydini's student. Prior to that I had never seen Slydini 'live', and his skill and his accent and manerisms are so perfect it's almost disappointing to realize that I'll never ever get to his level of perfection. He was really that good.

His coins thru table, cigarette magic and knotted silks were all masterpieces and well worth the effort to locate. I don't have a set, but I have been fortunate to have seen a set that belongs to my teacher. They are uncopyable, and I am actively seeking a quality set I can call my own.

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 4:20 pm

The "Gazzo Uncensored" tape is excellent, and you can learn a lot from watching the two hours of performance on this tape of one of the greatest street performers.

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 7:05 am

It's not a video that was officially released, but members in your local magic club probably have a copy of Ricky Jay's HBO Special: Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants. It's a really entertaining video.

He does some standard effects (Cups & Balls, Card Locations, MacDonald Aces, etc.) but his presentations and personality make this a very worthwhile video.

And even though it could be considered filmed before a "staged audience", Bill Malone has some excellent performances on his DVD series. The tricks and routines are great, but what's even better is the showmanship, advice and presentation he has.

KC

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 2nd, 2003, 9:07 am

Being a Brit... you can't miss watching all the Paul Daniels material.

Anything you can get with Fred Kaps.

Go onto Ebay and there you will find, listed by a seller named VOYANT the Slydini tapes of his performances on Dick Cavett. Beware, tho, Slydini's style fits only small Italian magicians.

:D
Stay tooned.

IanB

Postby IanB » March 2nd, 2003, 12:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Any recommendations of purchasable tapes - e.g. some of the Stevens library - rather than borrowing TV recordings. Being UK based I doubt I'll be able to get copies of the US shows (could be wrong, of course) - and I must admit to not having recorded the Paul Daniels shows when they were on.

Come to think of it, I probably didn't have a video recorder when they were on.

Ian

troublewit

Postby troublewit » March 2nd, 2003, 3:39 pm

The Magic Ranch tapes, (which are Performance only) not only give Don Alan's delightful material and performance style, but also includes footage of Al Flosso, Karrell Fox, Jack Gwynne, Senator Crandall, George and Betty Johnstone, Richard Himber, Jay Marshall (no Lefty or Juan, but vintage Jay),and Neill Foster, among others. You also get to enjoy an assortment of Milk Duds and Slo Poke commercials. These tapes are available from many of the fine dealers. Ask Denny Haney or Richard Hatch if they have copies.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » March 2nd, 2003, 4:55 pm

John Carney's Up Close and Far Away is Highly reccomended...

best,
nate.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”