False Swing Cut

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

False Swing Cut

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 9:31 am

Hello. I wanted to know if anyone knew any sources for a straight false swing cut in the hands. My friend and I have been working on a false swivel cut and it is invisible (as in it looks like a normal swing cut) from all angles except from the birdeye top view.

If anyone had any sources so i can see if our version is different would be great.

-Tony C.

Kevin Wiese

Re: False Swing Cut

Postby Kevin Wiese » July 24th, 2006, 11:39 am

Card College, vol. 1, p. 58 has The False Swing Cut. This is not in the hands, though.

The Pirandello False Cut is in Frank Simon Versatile Card Magic Revisited. It is a false swing cut in the hands.

From the book: "It looks like a triple cut but is actually a double cut that is a false cut."

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 24th, 2006, 11:48 am

Cut Controls By Jerry Sadowitz contains "Swing False Cut" and "Running Swing False Cut"

(found at http://www.magicbooks.be/)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 11:52 am

Originally posted by Kevin Wiese:
Card College, vol. 1, p. 58 has The False Swing Cut. This is not in the hands, though.

The Pirandello False Cut is in Frank Simon Versatile Card Magic Revisited. It is a false swing cut in the hands.

From the book: "It looks like a triple cut but is actually a double cut that is a false cut."
Kevin, Is the Pirandello Falso cut a Multiple cut? I'm looking for a false cut that simulates a single swing cut.

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » July 24th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Originally posted by woodman:
Originally posted by Kevin Wiese:
[b] Card College, vol. 1, p. 58 has The False Swing Cut. This is not in the hands, though.

Kevin, Is the Pirandello Falso cut a Multiple cut? I'm looking for a false cut that simulates a single swing cut. [/b]
It resembles a multiple cut, not a single cut.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 1:56 pm

does anyone here have contact info to Jerry Sadowitz? I want to ask him to see if mine differs from his method.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 2:09 pm

not quite sure what you mean by "swing cut"

I have a false kick cut, ie forefinger lifts and swings (kicks) top packet off... it's in Apocalypse in a two card transpo effect.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
not quite sure what you mean by "swing cut"

I have a false kick cut, ie forefinger lifts and swings (kicks) top packet off... it's in Apocalypse in a two card transpo effect.
isn't the standard cut from the biddle grip a swing cut? (the forefinger lifts and swings like Jonathan said)

Does your false kick cut simulate and keep the illusion of a normal swing cut? If so, I need to see or find somehow if ours differs.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 3:00 pm

...isn't the standard cut from the Biddle grip a swing cut? (the forefinger lifts and swings like Jonathan said)

Does your false kick cut simulate and keep the illusion of a normal swing cut? If so, I need to see or find somehow if ours differs.
In the spirit of the vetting we are doing over on the coin production thing...

This is in Apocalypse and published some twenty years ago. Your right hand takes the deck in from above and starts the kick cut, and your left hand accepts the top half of the deck. Your right hand tables the bottom half of the deck, then takes back the top half from your left hand and "completes the cut". It's simply that the wrong half of the deck gets tabled at the start. And it helps to have their attention when you do this. In rhythm, sound and overall gesture this duplicates a legit cut. Harry Lorrayne does a great job of putting the nuance into words in his writeup.

Done in context, I usually go for this as a three way cut, kicking over the top two thirds and tabling the bottom third, then repeating the process.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Speaking of Harry Lorrayne, there is an in-the-hands false swing cut in "The Magic Book" if I remember correctly. Essentially the same as Jonathan Townsend's description above but instead of tabling the bottom half, you take it over the top half and replace it under the top from the left side "completing the cut."

I remember reading it and thinking "that's so obvious, it won't fool anybody." I've used it for over 20 years and it's never been questioned.

JMD

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2006, 12:34 am

does anyone here have contact info to Jerry Sadowitz? I want to ask him to see if mine differs from his method.
www.jerrysadowitz.com
You can also order the booklet "CU T CONTROLS" there.

Denis

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2006, 1:08 am

Whoa, what a website!

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2006, 2:30 am

Tarbell 3 contains Paul Rosini's False Cut (p. 197) which is the simplest and most direct both to see (spectator) and perform (magician). There is an item of finesse that is an improving touch, not in Tarbell.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Gerry Griffin's "Spin Cut" taught as part of the Card Compendium Project. It may be on some of Gerry's material as well.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Anthony,

Thanx for mentioning the Paul Rosini's False Cut in Tarbell 3. Upon looking it up, I realized that it's the same as the false cut from "The Magic Book." Now I can properly credit the move when necessary. Is the finesse you mentioned (that isn't in Tarbell) in print?

JMD

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 10:59 pm

There seems to be a difference between and "swing cut" and a "swivel cut". Although the terms are use for roughly the same idea. I believe a swing cut is what has already been described on this thread. But a swivel cut is when you are holding the deck in biddle grip and the left first finger swivels the upper packet around 180 degrees in a clockwise direction leaving the upper packet in dealing grip and the lower packet is placed on top.
I mention all of this because in your original post you mention a swivel cut and a swing cut. I have a control called the Bluff swivel cut. you can see a clip of it on my website as it is taught on my DVD Decks, Lies and Videotape. www.decksliesandvideotape.com
Hope that did not add more confusion,
Brent Braun

Return to “Close-Up Magic”