Arrival

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Regal

Arrival

Postby David Regal » January 26th, 2022, 7:49 pm

I made a giff. I'm so freaking proud of myself.

I am not trying to fool you into spending your money. This is something that I've done, and if it is something you can use it is available. The handkerchief/gimmick is made from a custom run of silk twill, double printed, hand-sewn, it acts as both a servante and a holdout and it sells for $45.

XO

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Arrival

Postby Tarotist » January 26th, 2022, 11:36 pm

It reminds me of a trick in the Royal Road to Card Magic. The version above seems to be different because the entire pack is not used. However, there is somewhat of a similarity. I have very rarely performed it because of the inconvenience of carrying the little bit of wax (or diachylon whatever the hell that is) around with me but on the few occasions I did try it out the reaction was very good indeed.

However when I was annotating the Royal Road to Card Magic I came across something in the description that must have missed decades ago when I first read it. It said you could carry the wax around on a shirt or jacket sleeve button and it will remain there all day. If I had noticed that little tip 60 years ago I would probably be doing the trick regularly now!

David Regal

Postby David Regal » January 27th, 2022, 12:28 am

Here's a link to the full ad, to give you a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCF75vWpK6w

XO

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 28th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Looks really good. Not fond of the ugly handkerchief design however.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 28th, 2022, 4:33 pm

I like the handkerchief design. I would call it beautiful rather than ugly. I suppose it would be better for other tricks and for this particular one it would be a better contrast for the card to show up against a plain background. Still, it isn't a big deal either way so I am certainly not going to nitpick over it.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 28th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Hankie looks especially weird when it's wrapped in that weird thick rope. I get that it's trying to make it look special, out of the ordinary, etc. but I'd think that's exactly what you wouldn't want since it's the modus for the switch.

But lovely thinking/visuals in terms of the actual switch. Seem very practical/useful/deceptive. If only it didn't look like someone vomited gold and silver filigree all over it.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 28th, 2022, 5:57 pm

I work impromptu quite a lot and I think the version on chapter 12 in the Royal Road to Card Magic is worth checking out for spur of the moment work. It is also described in Classic Secrets of Magic although I prefer the Royal Road description. Incidentally Bruce Elliott credits the trick to Dai Vernon and Wallace Galvin.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 28th, 2022, 7:07 pm

Tarotist wrote:I work impromptu quite a lot and I think the version on chapter 12 in the Royal Road to Card Magic is worth checking out for spur of the moment work. It is also described in Classic Secrets of Magic although I prefer the Royal Road description. Incidentally Bruce Elliott credits the trick to Dai Vernon and Wallace Galvin.

Just took a look at in RR and agree. Seems to be a very good trick, with the card revelation being pretty interesting (i.e. you're not just whipping open the Handkerchief).

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 28th, 2022, 8:30 pm

I have done it a couple of times in the past and it got great reaction. However, I really didn't want to carry wax around with me so I kind of neglected to make use of it. . However, when I wrote up my annotations to the Royal Road I noticed something I must have missed decades ago when I first tried out the trick. It explained that you can have the blob of wax (I use blutak) on your cuff button and it will stay there all day and nobody will notice it. It has encouraged me to revive the trick. It gets a really good reaction even though I don't do it particularly well.
Incidentally (and I may be imagining things) I could almost swear that I read somewhere that Nate Leipzig invented the trick rather than Vernon and Galvin. I do know for sure that he performed it a lot and it was one of his favourites.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 29th, 2022, 11:13 am

I always did the trick with a tiny loop of scotch tape, sticky side outward. You can wear it as a ring until you need it and no one will notice. I likely learned the trick from Classic Secrets of Magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 29th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Yes. Bruce Elliott mentions the scotch tape loop. I have used this idea for the Card To Ceiling a la Elliott's description. I used to do the card to ceiling a lot when I was a teenager but in the end I ran out of ceilings and got fed up with picking the cards up from the floor. This, of course was in the days before rubber bands were used to wrap the cards up.

Now it is true that the hanky trick can be done with the scotch tape and it had actually occurred to me once to do it that way. The ring is a good idea but although nobody will notice there is one exception to this. ME! I would notice it whereas I would forget bits of wax on my cuff button. The trouble is that blutak is not reliable. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The Scotch tape would be better but I don't think I would be comfortable walking around all day with a Scotch tape ring and besides it would interfere with other card tricks I would be performing.

I need to find some kind of more reliable wax. I have been messing about with the trick and I believe it is a really superb piece of magic. The visual impact is fantastic! It is the logistics of the thing that needs figuring out.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 7th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Review by Norman Beck:

Arrival. A closing effect from David Regal.
$45.00 postage paid in the USA.

David Regal is smart. He is real smart but not by being complex and convoluted but rather simple and direct. In 2019 he published a book Interpreting Magic. He had a effect called "David's Bottle" where a folded card is in a wine bottle. A card is selected, signed and returned to the deck. The spectator is then directed to the wine bottle and the folded card in the bottom. The magician picks up the bottle and turns it upside down and hands a set of tweezers to the spectator and when he removes the card it is his signed card. The effect was simple, direct and pure. It looks like magic. I loved it.

His newest effect "Arrival" arrived today. I like it better than David's Bottle. The effect is simple, direct and magical. When I first saw it I had no clue.

Effect:

A card is selected from a deck that was wrapped in a 18" silk that is silk. The silk becomes the stage or focal point of the trick and it is folded up and when it is unfolded the signed card is laying face up in the center of the silk. The prop also has a version with two cards selected and they are revealed one at a time.

My favorite is with a blank card and a pen that is folded up and when the card falls from the silk it has a message written on it. The prop is versatile and can be used with cards, bills, business cards, money or coins. Most things I review go on the shelf, many go in the drawer a very few go in my close up case. This is going in my close up case.

The prop and the 30 minute video made me think and I was thinking how he got so smart making things so simple. I love the effect. I love the simplicity even more. If you have read this far no recommendations are needed. And if you stopped reading this review no recommendation will matter. For those from Texas just buy it.

http://www.regalmagic.com

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 9th, 2022, 11:20 am

A nice note from Paul Mellan, owner of Mel's Magic City - a REAL LIFE magic shop on Scranton, PA. Check his shop out at http://www.melsmagic.com

This arrived from out of the blue:

Name: Paul Mellan

I bought your wonderful knife set from you for my magic shop in Scranton, Pa, not too long ago. I have all your books and have sold a good number of them. You are a creative genius! You remind me a lot of my close former friend, Steve Dusheck (God rest his soul) "Arrival" proves it! The silk is absolutely gorgeous and your tutorial is second to none. I sold out of the first order I received and ordered more. All my customers who purchased it are raving about it. I love working with it and wanted to mention that it is perfect to use with a card to impossible location using Gaetan Bloom's fantastic Intercessor gimmick! Thank you for keeping the price so reasonable. It makes it a lot easier to sell, although there are many other excellent incentives why any magician should have this phenomenal effect in his or her arsenal.

Thanks, Paul. Being compared to Steve Dusheck warms my heart - it means a great deal to me.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » March 29th, 2022, 5:43 pm

I talk a bit more about ARRIVAL here:

https://youtu.be/C7I2vtfSWDg

Very different gimmicks and utilities than the other hank prop out now. I wish the other guy success as well!

Return to “Buzz”