RIP David Roth

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP David Roth

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 15th, 2021, 5:50 am

There are multiple reports that David Roth has died. There are no details at this time, other than we have lost yet another giant of magic.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: RIP David Roth

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 15th, 2021, 7:08 am

The man was just incredible. I'm grateful to have attended one of his lectures.

luigimar

Postby luigimar » January 15th, 2021, 8:54 am

2 greats in 2 days! Thats very sad! RIP Mr Roth...
luigimar

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » January 15th, 2021, 10:12 am

How sad...he was only 68!

I had a wonderful conversation with him several years back and really appreciated having the opportunity to do so. I still think about the things we discussed that day.

He was a regular guy and a really nice guy as well as an excellent magician.

Very sad day...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 15th, 2021, 10:17 am

The greatest coin magician I have ever seen and a fantastic teacher of magic. Gone way too soon.

RIP, Mr. Roth.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » January 15th, 2021, 10:22 am

Dreadful news. RIP a legend.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » January 15th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Oh, how awful. At Fantasma he destroyed me with a cheek to cheek deck. I was looking for the sleights...

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 15th, 2021, 1:32 pm

What?!?!? This is a total shocker! 68 years young, and gone far too soon! The very personification of what clean deceptive coin work should be. Sincere condolences to his family! It wouldn't surprise me if, as we speak, he's approaching a group of angels with a '64 Kennedy Half, saying: "Look, a half dollar, a fifty-cent piece, a silver coin. Watch..." as they look on enraptured and totally captivated.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » January 15th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Definitely a shame. David was generous with me when I presented myself at the FAO Schwartz magic counter in 1986 and asked for some feedback on the palm to palm change I had been learning from his video. He then did it for me with sets of dice, switching two for two. It was perfect and an ephiphany. It's a good thing he had pledged to use his powers for good

And for those who don't know, his card work was beyond superb -- as I learned when he did a few things for me and some laymen in the store.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Roth's abilities went beyond coins. His work on the chop cup elevated it from the guessing game. He could do the cups and balls very well, and his three ball routine was superb. His general knowledge of magic and its history was impressive. He was among the next wave of magicians like Steve Freeman, and Earl Nelson, who traveled to the Castle in the 70s to be with Vernon.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 15th, 2021, 10:38 pm

My girlfriend and I had a front row seat at a David Roth lecture at the 2008 SCAM convention.
She was extremely impressed and still talks about it to this day.
We were both saddened to hear of his passing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 16th, 2021, 11:18 am

Roth used bridge sized cards, and often did an excellent Straddle Pass, something you don't see often.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 16th, 2021, 11:42 am

Has anyone seen the cause of death anywhere?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 16th, 2021, 2:35 pm

I believe the law in New York City is that when someone who dies alone an autopsy is automatically required. Not sure if that's still the case, or if the novel coronavirus has changed that. And of course the results are private unless someone makes them public. If Roth's sister is no longer living, then he has no immediate survivors.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 16th, 2021, 9:17 pm

This wonderful clip was just posted yesterday in honor of David. It's a young David Roth appearing on the Robert Klein Show in 1987. He would have been 33 (possibly 34) at the time of this appearance. So smooth, and the misdirection and timing are phenomenal! Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevxL9Rc2Ho

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm

Thanks for sharing that Alfred! It was David at an important time in his career. A young extremely talented magician making his rounds all over the place performing his magic.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 16th, 2021, 10:02 pm

Thanks MBA. Somewhere out there is a video from his appearance on Wonderama. The Tuning Fork routine was magical and poetic.

... leaves [us] with just the tuning fork, the glass, and... the memory.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 17th, 2021, 1:02 am

HERE is a clearer copy of the video Alfred posted. It was posted by Peter Samelson, who along with Dorothy Dietrich, appeared on the same show.

HERE is the interview segment of the program.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 17th, 2021, 10:19 am

Thanks for both links, Brad. Robert Klein is the perfect host.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 17th, 2021, 10:26 am

Jim Martin wrote:Thanks for both links, Brad. Robert Klein is the perfect host.

Not sure how you decided that! He seemed to be stepping on David’s presentation at first and David seemed to be annoyed with him. Then, Klein calmed down and allowed David to do his presentation.

At least, that is how I viewed that segment.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 17th, 2021, 10:50 am

I.M. Magician wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:Thanks for both links, Brad. Robert Klein is the perfect host.

Not sure how you decided that! He seemed to be stepping on David’s presentation at first and David seemed to be annoyed with him. Then, Klein calmed down and allowed David to do his presentation.

At least, that is how I viewed that segment.

I don't disagree with you about the opening.

I felt that Klein gave an appropriate, respectful intro. Then as you stated, at first, he was being silly and ad libbing for a short period of time - and David responded and participated. Klein stopped and the viewer's focus shifted to view David's work.
The more David did, the more magical it became.
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » January 17th, 2021, 12:08 pm

David passed suddenly and unexpectedly at home from complications stemming from chronic health issues he had. He is survived by his sister Linda. However, I am writing for another reason. David's cat was taken by the police from his apartment, and is now held at the Manhattan ACC for only a few days. Then, I don't know. Neppi is 9(they have him as 5 and misnamed him Nippi), a neutered male with all shots. He only has lived with David, and is probably shy with others. He needs a home quickly, someone with no kids or pets who would be patient with him. He is now in a cage, scared and alone after losing his only friend. If you can help, please please please let me know. My email is rubinsteindvm@aol.com

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 17th, 2021, 12:12 pm

I am now praying that someone loving takes ownership and excellent care of his cat Neppi.

If I could adopt Neppi, I surely would but circumstances do not allow for that to happen unfortunately.

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » January 17th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Update- Neppi is being adopted!! Thanks to all for listening!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 17th, 2021, 2:25 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:I am now praying that someone loving takes ownership and excellent care of his cat Neppi.

If I could adopt Neppi, I surely would but circumstances do not allow for that to happen unfortunately.

That is a kind sentiment, I.M. Cats are the cat's meow! And great news, Michael, your post must have done the trick!

And I agree I.M. that Klein was stepping all over Roth right out of the gate - and that David was (understandably} annoyed. It made me feel uneasy for Roth right from the get-go. It is to his credit that, despite Klein essentially heckling him and forcing him to get off to an awkward start on National T.V., David overcame it, rallied beautifully, and took control. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some producer in Klein's ear telling him to back off. The reality is that there are some people who don't like anyone else to be the center of attention, and as magicians, we've all encountered them from time to time. It is an undesirable personality trait that can be displayed by "friends," family members, Joe Blow at a party, and yes, certain celebrities. It is an especially undesirable trait for a television host who is supposed to help make their guests look good, not rattle them.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 17th, 2021, 3:08 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
I.M. Magician wrote:I am now praying that someone loving takes ownership and excellent care of his cat Neppi.

That is a kind sentiment, I.M. Cats are the cat's meow! And great news, Michael, your post must have done the trick!

And I agree I.M. that Klein was stepping all over Roth right out of the gate - and that David was (understandably} annoyed. It made me feel uneasy for Roth right from the get-go. It is to his credit that, despite Klein essentially heckling him and forcing him to get off to an awkward start on National T.V., David overcame it, rallied beautifully, and took control. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some producer in Klein's ear telling him to back off. The reality is that there are some people who don't like anyone else to be the center of attention, and as magicians, we've all encountered them from time to time. It is an undesirable personality trait that can be displayed by "friends," family members, Joe Blow at a party, and yes, certain celebrities. It is an especially undesirable trait for a television host who is supposed to help make their guests look good, not rattle them.

First, I am so very happy that Neppi is getting a new (and hopefully loving) home! Thank goodness!!

Second, I agree with your thoughts Alfred. I see it the same way...

Letterman was notorious for fouling up a magician’s performance.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 21st, 2021, 6:47 am

A nice tribute to Roth by Swiss:

https://jamyianswiss.com/blog/coin-magi ... L_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=ee62249878&mc_eid=c3db149972

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » January 21st, 2021, 8:58 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:A nice tribute to Roth by Swiss
He refers to David’s Legendary Four-Coin Trick, a delightfully eccentric routine that I have never seen anyone else perform. I love it, and I perform it.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 21st, 2021, 11:59 am

Roth is to coin magic what Vernon, Marlo and Bill Malone are to card magic.

I learned my basic coin sleights by studying David back in the early and mid-nineties. My most valuable takeaway was the importance of mastering the fundamentals (still a work in progress, ha ha). It's amazing what you can do with just the basic concealments (classic, finger and thumb palm), a few good vanishes (retention pass, French Drop, and classic, finger and thumb palm vanishes), a shuttle pass, the Han Ping Chien move, and of course, lapping, when sitting at a table.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 21st, 2021, 12:13 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Roth is to coin magic what Vernon, Marlo and Bill Malone are to card magic.

I learned my basic coin sleights by studying David back in the early and mid-nineties. My most valuable takeaway was the importance of mastering the fundamentals (still a work in progress, ha ha). It's amazing what you can do with just the basic concealments (classic, finger and thumb palm), a few good vanishes (retention pass, French Drop, and classic, finger and thumb palm vanishes), a shuttle pass, the Han Ping Chien move, and of course, lapping, when sitting at a table.

The thing is, when David performed those sleights, it was real magic! Not a slip, flash, or any other goofs at all.

When sleights are done as perfectly as he David did them, you are performing real magic if you know what I mean.

We would all love to perform our magic so perfectly that it fails any detection. It doesn’t get any better than that!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 21st, 2021, 1:02 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:

First, I am so very happy that Neppi is getting a new (and hopefully loving) home! Thank goodness!!

Second, I agree with your thoughts Alfred. I see it the same way...

Letterman was notorious for fouling up a magician’s performance.

Roth on Letterman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpBgDffoCqA

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » January 21st, 2021, 1:10 pm

Kmarr the Discount Magician fixed Letterman with the Jigsaw. Hilarious.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 21st, 2021, 2:09 pm

As immaculate as David was in his technique, the reality is that his performing style was very deliberate and expository, and the patter very descriptive and explanatory. So, while not necessarily a justification for the antics of Letterman and Klein (because it can be taken too far and become a distraction), it is understandable why, as comedians/entertainers, they would want to ham things up as a counterpoint to David's dry style.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 21st, 2021, 3:00 pm

I actually thought that Letterman was funny in that segment.

Although I understand what you are saying Alfred and do agree to some extent, I can imagine how annoying it would be if I was on national television and the host was interfering with my performance.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 21st, 2021, 4:03 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:I actually thought that Letterman was funny in that segment.

Although I understand what you are saying Alfred and do agree to some extent, I can imagine how annoying it would be if I was on national television and the host was interfering with my performance.

No doubt about it, I.M.

When a host crosses that line, it would undoubtedly be rattling. After all, I would think a major part of the host's function is to put the guests at ease and help make them look good. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm waffling here, I do think Klein crossed that line of demarcation between being witty, funny and entertaining and stepping on the performance, but IMHO, Letterman didn't, just as you have implied.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » January 21st, 2021, 4:11 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
I.M. Magician wrote:I actually thought that Letterman was funny in that segment.

No doubt about it, I.M.

When a host crosses that line, it would undoubtedly be rattling. After all, I would think a major part of the host's function is to put the guests at ease and help make them look good. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm waffling here, I do think Klein crossed that line of demarcation between being witty, funny and entertaining and stepping on the performance, but IMHO, Letterman didn't, just as you have implied.

Exactly! Letterman would be relentless while Klein drew the line. Carson was respectful of magicians with the only exception being you know who but that was something else altogether. Carson being a magician himself was annoyed by you know who’s claims so he challenged him.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 21st, 2021, 8:37 pm

Who knew that what catapulted Roth into magic was that when he was about 10 years old, a friend of his dad's pulled a coin out of his ear? He said it had a "tremendous effect" on him. Here's a short but sweet interview with David:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKyfp-ZS1mk

I don't think I will ever again underestimate the power of pulling a coin out of a kid's ear...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 21st, 2021, 11:10 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:A nice tribute to Roth by Swiss:

https://jamyianswiss.com/blog/coin-magi ... L_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=ee62249878&mc_eid=c3db149972

Jamy mentions a tribute from John Carney -- where might it be?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 21st, 2021, 11:29 pm

Bill Mullins wrote: Jamy mentions a tribute from John Carney -- where might it be?

Prolly Facebook. I know Carney has a page and posts there.

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » February 18th, 2021, 1:01 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:HERE is a clearer copy of the video Alfred posted. It was posted by Peter Samelson, who along with Dorothy Dietrich, appeared on the same show.

HERE is the interview segment of the program.

Brad, that was a great video! Thanks for posting this!

Roberto

Return to “Buzz”