Jay Marshall

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Jay Marshall

Postby Chris Randal2 » April 16th, 2020, 6:15 pm

When I was a kid at the Desert Magic Seminar I had the pleasure of meeting and following around like a puppy dog Jay Marshall and Karrel Fox they were so nice to me and my father but as a kid I had no idea of the impact they had on magic. I have read a lot of the Fox books but never got my hands on any of Jays books. Everytime I research a routine it often comes back to Jay. Can any one please point me in the direction of some sources or books that I can research Jay and his material more. I know Magic Inc but I never made it out to the store and did get to meet Sandy a few times but never got my hands on any books or literature. Thank you in advance

Max Maven

Re: Jay Marshall

Postby Max Maven » April 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Jay did not publish much trick material. He put out only a few marketed items (such as "The Jaspernese Thumb-Tie"). He did write a number of historical articles, mostly in Magicol magazine.

You can find a basic biography in the article I wrote for Genii that was the cover story, twice. For much more, get a copy of Sandy's biography, Beating a Dead Horse.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » April 17th, 2020, 1:24 am

Thank you

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 17th, 2020, 6:33 am

While anything by Karrell Fox is worth having, IMO his three best books are Kornfidentially Yours, Clever Like a Fox, Another Book, the latter two published by Supreme Magic.

In 1978 Karrell MC'd the Hastings British Ring Convention Gala Show. Two shows that night (the same one repeated, the early one being open to the public and magicians who liked to go to bed early). The first house overran by over an hour and the second house, which I attended, started about 45 minutes late and also overran. There were huge delays between some of the acts that needed a lot of set up. One act which opened the second half-a giant spider's web spanning the entire stage and up into the flies, had a lady float up to the top where she was supposed to vanish but didn't. That took ages to strike once the curtain came down.

Anyway Karrell was the MC. From out front you would not have thought anything was wrong. He kept the show moving and appeared totally in control filling the spots with laughter and fun. Only later did I hear him say he had never worked so hard in his life. Having been told he'd only need to do a minute before introducing the next act, some hitch would have occurred and he'd hear the whisper, "Do another three minutes." On one occasion, having done the three minutes, another whisper, "Do five more."

It is a credit to his professionalism that he never batted an eyelid and never showed the stress he was under.

Max can confirm this as he was on the show.

Back to Jay. He also wrote TV Magic and You, perhaps somewhat dated now but still worth a read if you are going on TV. There is one sketch that should play well today.

I was lucky enough to meet and get to know, even if only a little, both Jay and Karrell. One character I never got to meet was Clarke Crandall. His "Now You Can Get the Best of Senator Crandall", a compilation of his New Tops columns is well worth getting from Abbott's, as well as any of his other publications (mostly booklets, apart from his monthly magazine Crandall's Comments - 7 issues).

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » April 19th, 2020, 3:35 pm

I saw Karrel do very similar MC spots at Desert Magic Seminar. Side note they used to jokingly call me Senator Crandall because Chris Randall so it became CRandall. So often I would hear people call me Senator but I remember them starting it and a kid thinking who the hell is Senator Crandall. I still don’t know a lot about him and is someone I should research more.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » April 20th, 2020, 4:38 pm

I became friends with Jay Marshall in 1972 when we met at Harry Riser's house. For almost twenty-five years I had the privilege of accompanying him when he performed "Lefty" at magic conventions. On Tuesday (April 21), I'll share some Jay Marshall stories during my live broadcast at my public Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/michaelclosemagic/).

And because these are Jay Marshall stories, the broadcast will be rated PG-13.

Thanks.

Michael Close

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 20th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Not "R"?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » April 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Chris Randall: I did my talk about Jay yesterday. If you missed it, here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/michaelclosema ... 179464687/

I'll be sharing a few more stories today (Friday, August 24).

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » April 24th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Great stories Michael, thank you.

Beating a Dead Horse by Sandy Marshall is a great read and Frances' You Don't Have to be Crazy is an excellent take on magic culture and though dated, much of it applies today.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » April 26th, 2020, 4:46 am

Definitely putting it on my list I know Sandy very well through AJ and wish I would’ve took the time with him with more care

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 3rd, 2020, 12:44 pm

As you may already know I posted a number of videos we recorded of Jay Marshall in 1996 on my YouTube channel. They include the Jaspernese Thumb Tie, Lefty, Linking Rings, Juan Escadero, The egg bag, etc. As Jay himself mentions he was not "in his prime" but these give you an idea of how good he was in his prime. Here's one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19NEv8OAJcQ

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » May 5th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Thank you Tom that was great to watch

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » May 5th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Michael Close wrote:Chris Randall: I did my talk about Jay yesterday. If you missed it, here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/michaelclosema ... 179464687/

I'll be sharing a few more stories today (Friday, August 24).

Oh I saw it sir and thanks for the shout out.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 5th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Randi with a great Jay Marshall story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvvs1ZzFiSw

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » May 7th, 2020, 5:58 am

So why isn’t there a complete legacy book on this wonderful man. The Chinese sticks routine I have already stolen a few lines or told some friends. Hey &)&;&;&;$ you need to steal this line it’s too funny.

Return to “Buzz”