A BOOK, A DECK OF CARDS & A DESERTED ISLAND

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

A BOOK, A DECK OF CARDS & A DESERTED ISLAND

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 8th, 2020, 9:10 am

Imagine that you have just been convicted in the Court of Magic for stealing another magician's material and passing it off as your own, and without giving credit to the creator (of course in real life you would never so much as dream of committing such a heinous offense). Since the judge is quite lenient, you have been sentenced to 3 months on a deserted tropical island, where you will live alone in a deserted hut. No worries about food and drink because there is an abundance of pineapples, coconuts, nuts and other fruits and vegetables growing on the island, and there are streams with fresh pure water. However, other than some rudimentary personal effects such as clothing and toiletries, you are allowed to bring just one deck of cards of any brand or type, and one magic book of any kind, on any subject, from any time period. No other magic-related materials, props or paraphernalia allowed. What deck and book would you bring? Feel free, if you like, to elaborate on the reason(s) for your choice.

Bob Farmer

Re: A BOOK, A DECK OF CARDS & A DESERTED ISLAND

Postby Bob Farmer » February 8th, 2020, 11:37 am

Any Roy Walton book.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 8th, 2020, 11:48 am

"The Legendary Kabbala"
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » February 8th, 2020, 11:54 am

Ha, where can I book that trip, Alfred?

I‘d bring a Nudist Deck, of course! No, wait... A Tally-Ho Circle deck because the fun optical illusion you can do with the circle (from Apocalypse, I think) would keep me entertained for the first week.

Then I would dive into „Greater Magic,“ probably the only book in my collection I‘m not sure I could actually devour within three months!

And I wouldn‘t worry about the absence of other props. Most magic is only happening in my head anyway...
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 9th, 2020, 2:41 pm

I'm encouraged. This thread (which I'd hoped would generate responses and stimulating discussion from magicians talking about their favorite magic books and playing cards) only has about 200 fewer views and 2 fewer replies than one (which was posted several hours thereafter) about somebody getting run over by a car. I am going to need to seriously re-evaluate what is and what is not of interest and importance to magicians on a magic forum.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 9th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Perhaps the solution is to ask which book would you prefer to be reading before being run over by a car.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 9th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Perhaps the solution is to ask which book would you prefer to be reading before being run over by a car.

Such an obvious solution! Why didn't I think of that? But I would want to be clear that I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (even if I had any enemies) and if anyone were unfortunate enough to get run over, God forbid, I would hope the worst injury they would suffer would be a "trick" knee...

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » February 9th, 2020, 5:31 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I'm encouraged. This thread (which I'd hoped would generate responses and stimulating discussion from magicians talking about their favorite magic books and playing cards) only has about 200 fewer views and 2 fewer replies than one (which was posted several hours thereafter) about somebody getting run over by a car. I am going to need to seriously re-evaluate what is and what is not of interest and importance to magicians on a magic forum.

Truth well told, Alfred! Kind of sad, isn't it?

As you can see by my very modest post per year ratio, I'm not one to comment easily on each and every subject, but I do appreciate your thoughtful questions and very personal comments and insights. Some true nuggets in a tidal sea of bantering and bickering, boasting and hawking...
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » February 10th, 2020, 6:32 am

Bicycle Elite and "The Complete Almanac" by Richard Kaufman.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 10th, 2020, 6:49 am

Zig Zagger, Thank you for your exceptionally well-written and truthful observations, and for your kind words towards me. Your post helped greatly to relieve the sadness and disillusionment I was feeling. I should probably be devoting more time to practicing, anyway. I spent some time over at your blog last night. It was time well spent, and I will look forward to more....

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » February 10th, 2020, 7:04 am

Probably ECT. So much in there that I've told myself, well maybe one day when I have the time...

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » February 10th, 2020, 1:20 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:which I'd hoped would generate responses and stimulating discussion from magicians talking about their favorite magic books and playing cards
My favourite magic book wouldn't be a card book. Which is why I hadn't replied.

Not trying to divert this thread. Merely hoping to assuage your disappointment.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 10th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Old custom decks from the USPCC that were made for a friend (varnished, not plastic coated), and Greater Magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » February 10th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Dave Le Fevre wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:which I'd hoped would generate responses and stimulating discussion from magicians talking about their favorite magic books and playing cards

Not trying to divert this thread. Merely hoping to assuage your disappointment.

No excuses, Dave!

As Alfred has stated in his scenario, you are invited to bring "one magic book of any kind, on any subject, from any time period."

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » February 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Zig Zagger, Thank you for your exceptionally well-written and truthful observations, and for your kind words towards me. Your post helped greatly to relieve the sadness and disillusionment I was feeling. I should probably be devoting more time to practicing, anyway. I spent some time over at your blog last night. It was time well spent, and I will look forward to more....

Oh, thank YOU very kindly for your warm words, Alfred! (This is starting to feel like a politically correct version of Waldorf and Statler now, isn't it?)

You also got me thinking on why and how I was (am) actually attracted to magic, so I'll try to organize my thoughts and then head over to your other thread. See you!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Great I will look forward to it! And to clarify some of my comments, I do not wish to come across like a whiner or trying to make anyone feel guilty. The topics I post and my comments on the various threads just come from the love of magic that is in my heart, my sincere desire to hear from others about their magical perspective and experiences, and to try to help make this a fun, fascinating and educational forum.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 10th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Perhaps the solution is to ask which book would you prefer to be reading before being run over by a car.

Bob’s got a point. I’d give up my career and magic for an island like that.

But to stay in the spirit of things, an Elite deck and Greater Magic.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » February 10th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Zig Zagger wrote:No excuses, Dave!

As Alfred has stated in his scenario, you are invited to bring "one magic book of any kind, on any subject, from any time period."
I had understood his criteria. And they specify that I can't have any conjuring-related hardware other than the deck of cards.

So reading my chosen book on coin magic but with no coins to hand, that'd be pointless and infuriating.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 10th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Zig Zagger wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote: This thread (which I'd hoped would generate responses and stimulating discussion from magicians talking about their favorite magic books and playing cards) only has about 200 fewer views and 2 fewer replies than one about somebody getting run over by a car. I am going to need to seriously re-evaluate what is and what is not of interest and importance to magicians on a magic forum.

Truth well told, Alfred! Kind of sad, isn't it?

I'm a bit confused.

Which exactly is sadder, the lack of response to this thread, or the death of Orson Bean?

Anyway, this thread is now winning.

18 to 6, if your still keeping score. :(

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 10th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Deck: Almost any Bicycle Deck, but especially Richard Turner's Gold Seal. Book: Strong Magic, Darwin Ortiz. (Most books on card tricks teach how to do tricks, and I know more than enough card tricks already, but this fabulous book, which I owned years ago and gave to a friend, focuses on how to perform magic).

Smurf

Postby Smurf » February 10th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Richard's specification of the deck is very important. I've heard the praises of varnish decks but I don't have any first hand knowledge of them so I would never come up with that idea myself. Due to my imagined conditions on the island, I would select plastic cards, though I would never choose them for magic in a well-controlled environment. I will go with the Bicycle Prestige line even though I know KEM cards are very popular with card players. With the restriction of one deck stated, for the book I will choose Paul Cummins From A Shuffled Deck In Use. I've never read it, but with the topic it just seems apropos.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » February 11th, 2020, 9:41 am

Book: How To Survive on a Desert Island

Deck: The Alexander deck so I can spend as much time as needed to locate all of those special markings supposedly on the backs which they refused to reveal along with the deck.

And...plenty of top quality chocolates! I love top shelf chocolates!

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » February 11th, 2020, 2:02 pm

A deck of Aviators.

The Art of Switching Decks by Roberto Giobbi.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 11th, 2020, 3:05 pm

I think the the sentencing judge might be open to granting a special dispensation to PressureFan before remanding him to the custody of the DMC (Department of Magical Corrections), and allow two decks in his particular case.

It's been a long time since I've used Aviators. But I have fond memories of them as being the first cards I used for magic. A deck of blue Aviators and my Scarne on Card Tricks (my first card magic book, which I still enjoy and learn from to this day), and I was as happy as could be. I didn't know a double lift from a pass back then, or actually that either even existed. Preoccupied as such, a whole day could go by before I knew it. Those Aviators and my Fox Lake strippers (I'm talking about the cards) were my go-to's. Maybe I'll pick up a deck of Aviators just to see how they feel and handle these days...

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Bicycle 808s will do me just fine. Red, preferably. And, after careful consideration, Card Craft by J.K. Hartman. That's a nice, thick volume filled with sleights, subtleties, and tricks enough to keep me occupied until the rescue ship arrives. Either that or a volley ball that I can teach to pick a card, any card...

Av

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 12th, 2020, 10:48 am

There is no need to make an exception for PressureFan. You can use all of Giobbi's techniques to switch one half deck for another.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 12th, 2020, 12:07 pm

AS I said recently on another forum, the book I would take is titled How to Get Off a Desert Island.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 12th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I haven't ever seen an island on a desert. But if there was one, and I was on it, yes, I'd be looking to get off it, as well.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » February 12th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Dave Le Fevre wrote:
Zig Zagger wrote:No excuses, Dave!

I had understood his criteria. And they specify that I can't have any conjuring-related hardware other than the deck of cards.

So reading my chosen book on coin magic but with no coins to hand, that'd be pointless and infuriating.

Oh, I can see your point now. I was mislead by your sentence,

However, trying to make the best out of this infuriating island scenario, I would encourage you to bring your coin magic book and then ferociously start coining the promising sub-genre of sea shell magic!

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » February 16th, 2020, 11:52 am

A pack of bridge size Aviators or Fox Lake, circa mid/late 70s. I have some.

A copy of “The Odds Against Me” or “The Amazing World Of John Scarne”.

I think probably “Odds,” because the book is longer and the Scarne Yarns are much more humorous. Although one or two in “World” are missing from “Odds”.

Notwithstanding the obvious charms of the island, the more laughs the merrier,

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » February 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I've been thinking about this topic for days and am unable to name a single book to pass the time with on the island, so I'll cheat and say, "Gimme a deck of Bicycles and my editions of both The Berglas Effect and Mnemonica and I'd be a happy camper."

magicfish

Postby magicfish » February 17th, 2020, 10:29 pm

JawDroppers- Lorayne

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » March 15th, 2020, 5:28 am

A pack of Waddingtons and the Royal Road.

If I got sent back again, a pack of Waddingtons and Expert Card Technique.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 15th, 2020, 8:25 am

BarryAllen wrote:A pack of Waddingtons and the Royal Road.

If I got sent back again, a pack of Waddingtons and Expert Card Technique.

From the bit of research I've done on their website, Waddington cards appear to have a long and illustrious history. I've been collecting playing cards for several years, but I've not owned a deck of these. I did not see on the website anything regarding the materials, cut or finish. I assume they handle well and are good for executing flourishes such as fans, spread and turnover, one hand Faro etc.?

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » March 15th, 2020, 11:28 am

There’s no “appear” about it.

However they are not as good nowadays as when they were made in Leeds and London. “Good,” of course is a personal thing.

Back then, and I don’t mean last week, they would take a faro shuffle. I learned the faro using Waddingtons and the Ed Marlo booklet. But unless you’ve been faroing for a while they are challenging. And as with all cards, every batch you open has its own foibles.

Waddingtons were always Bridge Size, which puts them straight out of the window in many quarters. Having been brought up on Bridge Size, I have no problems with them.

Since they surrendered to the demands of business and sold out to whomever owns them currently, there are some poker size produced under their banner. What these are like, I have no idea and so can’t comment on their faro functionality.

Faros apart, they are a decent all-round card, more than suitable for card trickery.

Unsurprisingly they are more expensive than they used to be.....

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 15th, 2020, 11:56 am

From Waddington Website:
"Hasbro, a large toy company, bought Waddington's Games in 1994. Waddington’s No.1 Playing Cards are still a best seller in Britain, but today they are marketed by Winning Moves, who bought the brand from Hasbro, together with Lexicon."

AJM

Postby AJM » March 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm

The desert island is not currently allowing new visitors.

performer

Postby performer » March 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Waddingtons Number One cards were the ones I used for decades. They even manufactured fake cards for International Magic if my memory is correct. Then I went to Canada and I heard that British magicians were using poker size cards all of a sudden and usually American brands like Bicycle. I couldn't understand why they would do that when Waddingtons quality was so excellent. Then I returned to the UK for a visit and discovered the reason why. Somehow they weren't the same quality any more. They had done something to the manufacture I know not what and there was a definite deterioration in the way they used to be.

Incidentally I utterly refuse to use Poker Cards unless I absolutely have to. Not the British way of doing things I afraid. Besides bridge cards are better for flourishes particularly the fancy one hand cuts that I frequently do.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » March 16th, 2020, 11:04 am

AJM wrote:The desert island is not currently allowing new visitors.

What about the current/resident castaways? Can they leave?

AJM

Postby AJM » March 16th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Enforced quarantine for 14 days I’m afraid.

The island would have been perfectly fine if it hadn’t been for random folks turning up with their cards and books.

I suppose they’ll have plenty to read for the next couple of weeks.

Andrew

Return to “General”