Announcement regarding new Steve Forte book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Re: Announcement regarding new Steve Forte book

Postby Bob Coyne » February 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

I'm really looking forward to getting the book too. I don't care if it's a limited edition, an unlimited edition, or whatever. If it's published in any form whatsoever, it will accomplish the primary motive of this reader, as he needs the information!

r paul wilson

Postby r paul wilson » February 1st, 2020, 12:41 pm

As part of the team of friends who have encouraged and helped Steve through this book's long journey; who wondered if it would ever be finished given Steve's other commitments and the enormous amount of work required by him and his family; I never imagined it would be received with anything but enthusiasm from the magic community.

I know for a fact it will rewrite how future generations perform and analyze sleight of hand, that his thinking alone is worth much more than the price of the book and it will offer people an impossible to quantify window into Steve's goldmine of material.

This has been nothing but an enterprise built on Steve's passion and willingness to share.

Kudos to all who have added a positive perspective to this thread and as Jason says, any real flaw is a slight mistake in the language used.

For the vast majority of fellow enthusiasts, the book is fantastic and will be printed in very limited numbers and all of us who know Steve well have no idea if he will have the time or desire to run more now or in the future; so if you got one, congratulations - you're in for a real treat.

JustinM
Favorite Magician: Mike and 40.... The rest are dead!

Postby JustinM » February 1st, 2020, 1:12 pm

Big thank you to you, Mr. Wilson. I'm a purchaser and couldn't imagine how much work has gone into a project like this!

I have Poker Protection and have been looking for this book since it was 1st mentioned....

As i've said previously, 40 and "the dream team" should win a literary award for this instant classic!

Justin

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » February 1st, 2020, 1:56 pm

Heartily agree with both of the above posts. I want to add that the customer service from Cheryl was outstanding as well and told both Steve and Cheryl my appreciation. Service these days is word most are not familiar with. To say nothing of ordering a book and having it ship only a couple of weeks later, another unusual occupancy.

Peace, Joe

PS. I hope I’m not forcing my views on anyone in a public forum that is meant for the express purpose of sharing views forced (an interpretation) or otherwise.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2020, 2:28 pm

I've done a lot of mopping up here, and it was my error for not nipping it in the bud.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2020, 2:32 pm

I wish I could apply your abilities to "mop up" conversations in my own life lol
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm

JHostler wrote:This is really simple.

4) The obvious solution to the current "issue:" Steve could hand-number each book in the current run of 1000. He'll be signing most of them anyway.

Hm, reminds me of expensive art prints, where a certain quantity are uniquely numbered (and perhaps signed) while additional, unnumbered copies are also made available without signature and at a lower price.

It's already been done with the castle notebooks and Hobbs original printing of the Labyrinth. An inexpensive way to add value (to those who actually live for that sort of thing) while still keeping alive the possibility of future availability.

jwjmcd

Postby jwjmcd » February 1st, 2020, 5:11 pm

The value of this book to the “magic” world considering Steve Forte is a gambling sleight of hand expert cannot be overstated.

I hope he reprints... he deserves to... I’ve asked for my copy signed. This is a book that will be forever in my collection.

I cannot wait.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 1st, 2020, 5:27 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:
JHostler wrote:This is really simple.

4) The obvious solution to the current "issue:" Steve could hand-number each book in the current run of 1000. He'll be signing most of them anyway.

Hm, reminds me of expensive art prints, where a certain quantity are uniquely numbered (and perhaps signed) while additional, unnumbered copies are also made available without signature and at a lower price.

It's already been done with the castle notebooks and Hobbs original printing of the Labyrinth. An inexpensive way to add value (to those who actually live for that sort of thing) while still keeping alive the possibility of future availability.

It's almost a no-brainer for limited runs. Marlo even numbered his "magazines." The Ralph Steadman prints I collect - if not for that magical signature and # - would sell for gazillions less. What's been lost in this conversation is that folks can value artistic merit (or content) and collectability/exclusivity simultaneously.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Most of you have never had the opportunity to sit with Steve and watch him work. Having spent time with what many people would consider the greatest sleight of hand artists of our time, I would venture that Steve exceeds their abilities. The only people who were close were Derek Dingle and Charlie Miller (I never saw Ross Bertram work in person), but Steve outstrips them in ability. His digital ability is staggering. I am greatly looking forward to this book.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2020, 6:17 pm

I have never had the opportunity to sit with Steve and watch him work. I am sure there would be a very long queue of people wishing to get that chance. His knowledge of the gambling world and the "real work" is unrivaled. As has been said by others, this book is going to change our perceptions on card handling forever and at the age of 40, I am glad I have the time to spend a few decades trying to get within 10% of Forte's abilities and knowledge!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 1st, 2020, 8:52 pm

You are most fortunate, indeed, Christopher, and I'm betting you have already had a very good head start with card handling...

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 1st, 2020, 9:42 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:You are most fortunate, indeed, Christopher, and I'm betting you have already had a very good head start with card handling...
:) Work commitments always get in the way of devoting the time I would like but I am involved in magic through work as well so I count myself very lucky. I just love cards! the simplicity of 52 pieces of cardboard but yet the millions of complexities that take a lifetime or many lifetimes to master is very intoxicating!

performer

Postby performer » February 2nd, 2020, 8:36 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Most of you have never had the opportunity to sit with Steve and watch him work. Having spent time with what many people would consider the greatest sleight of hand artists of our time, I would venture that Steve exceeds their abilities. The only people who were close were Derek Dingle and Charlie Miller (I never saw Ross Bertram work in person), but Steve outstrips them in ability. His digital ability is staggering. I am greatly looking forward to this book.

This may well be true but I have always considered "digital ability" although useful at times, to be the least important attribute of a good magician. After all the public never see it anyway so it certainly doesn't impress them. The only people it impresses are other magicians and of course they really don't count. They are always impressed by the wrong things.

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 2nd, 2020, 9:15 am

They can still be impressed by sleights without knowing it though.. The sleight contributes to the overall effect that they were impressed by..... Sleights affect the "effect".

Magicians just have an insider perspective.. Magicians and spectators enjoy the same effect, but for different reasons..... and it's O.K.

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 2nd, 2020, 9:16 am

All of this is done within the context of routines, etc. of course...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 2nd, 2020, 9:27 am

Jason England wrote:...PS: Johnny Thompson sold 1500 copies in the first 2 weeks. Steve sold 1000 in 6 days. That's fewer copies, but a faster average rate, especially considering Steve's book is $50 more expensive than Johnny's (at least at Johnny's pre-sale price of $250). I think both of these guys have a case for "fastest selling magic book in history," yes? Can anyone think of a book that sold quicker? Especially in that $200+ range?

Interesting question.

I seem to remember Max Maven's "Protocols" book selling out like lightning, and the first printing of Asi Wind's Repertoire was gone before I could even look at his website. (However, I don't know the exact sellout times or numbers) Of course, those were roughly a 1/3rd of the price.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 2nd, 2020, 9:47 am

For comparison, the 1st volume of the Cervon Castle Notebooks (at $200) took from Nov 17th, 2007 to around Jan 2nd, 2008 to sell out the announced 500 copies. That surprised me a bit, but it may have reflected the state of the world economy at the time.

(PS: While not books, I can't think of any pricey magic objects that sell out faster than Todd Lassen coin gaffs. If you don't purchase within minutes of the announcement, you are toast! :D )

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » February 2nd, 2020, 4:14 pm

A wonderfully talented artist friend of mine offers limited editions of his work. If asked, he will happily tell you "The number is limited to how many I can sell."

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 2nd, 2020, 6:12 pm

Has Steve Forte published any card magic?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2020, 7:16 pm

Only a few things.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 2nd, 2020, 8:48 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Has Steve Forte published any card magic?

I think he had some stuff in Channel One.

performer

Postby performer » February 2nd, 2020, 8:55 pm

JustinM wrote:They can still be impressed by sleights without knowing it though.. The sleight contributes to the overall effect that they were impressed by..... Sleights affect the "effect".

Magicians just have an insider perspective.. Magicians and spectators enjoy the same effect, but for different reasons..... and it's O.K.

Yes, but you can have too much of a good thing. In fact too much sleight of hand can be detrimental. I have always thought that it is foolish to be skillful beyond the bounds of necessity.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 3rd, 2020, 10:04 am

The sleight of hand issue is an interesting one. I have met people who derive great satisfaction from mastering various sleights with cards. Some (and I believe there was a poster here not long ago) are desirous of mastering a sleight or sleights sheerly for the satisfaction of the accomplishment, and the enjoyment in the doing. They may not even be interested in applying the sleight to a trick, or even in performing at all. If that's what floats someone's boat, then I say have at it. It comes back to Eugene Burger's magic being a house of many rooms, and there is room for all of us: performers, card mechanics, authors, magic scholars, historians and teachers, avid readers, collectors, publishers, illustrators, and on and on.

I personally share Performer's philosophy in that I am in it to be primarily an entertainer. I can do some sleights/moves pretty smoothly for some of my routines, but I am going to go with whatever gets the job done with the least chance of detection or suspicion. I admire great sleight of hand artists/card mechanics, like Steve and Bill, and others too numerous to mention, but I'll choose a subtlety over a sleight whenever I can. Even Vernon, a universally acknowledged grand master and innovator in sleight of hand, advocated that philosophy. I would hasten to add that in the case of Bill, we have a universe class sleight of hand artist AND entertainer. That is an exceedingly rare thing...

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 3rd, 2020, 12:32 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Has Steve Forte published any card magic?

Not a lot, but if you do the research, you can easily put together about 20 minutes of some incredibly hard hitting card magic if you choose to, all of it from Forte.

You access some excellent Forte material through third party books and DVD's (Sal Piacante and Bill Malone DVD's for example), and other bits via forum research that may point you to specific issues of Genii or Magic ... or elsewhere.

A lot of folks have parsed information from his Gambling Protection DVD's, and even though there is no instruction included on those DVD's, those with some skills can deduce some of what he's doing simply from watching him do it.

But the real answer to your question might be "no", Forte himself hasn't published much (if any) card magic.
Last edited by Roger M. on February 3rd, 2020, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 3rd, 2020, 12:34 pm

Both great card guys! Love Piacante's memory work!

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 3rd, 2020, 12:43 pm

Piacante himself will tell you that one of his best "memory effects" that is presented as a card effect is actually 100% a Steve Forte routine, and has absolutely nothing to do with an "amazing memory", or anything remotely requiring difficult card moves (in fact there are no moves whatsoever to be found in this routine) ... having instead everything to do with Forte's brilliant thinking about what can be accomplished with a deck of cards.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 3rd, 2020, 12:55 pm

Very interesting Roger, I got interested in his work with the "Major System" as well as of course all his gambling-related items

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 3rd, 2020, 5:38 pm

Check out the bloody brilliant "Sal's Memory Opener" on his Expert Card Magic DVD's. As per Sal's own explanation of the effect, it'actually a Steve Forte routine, one of a couple on that DVD set.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » February 6th, 2020, 3:02 pm

For all of those interested in this book you may want to check out the link below as there is an update about shipping and the "limited edition" question has been clarified by Steve.

https://www.gamblingsleightofhand.com/

Peace, Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2020, 10:44 pm

More specifically, from the website:
"Second Printing: I have decided on a second printing to accommodate the ongoing interest. For any buyer who was primarily interested in purchasing a first-edition copy, I understand the disappointment having been a serious book collector at one time, but all I can do is apologize—a “limited edition” was my true intention, but no one could have anticipated last week’s remarkable response. I’ve removed Limited Edition from the description and offer a full refund to any buyer for any reason. Just make the request via email and a full refund will be issued promptly.
I will let everyone know as soon as possible when more books will be available, but it won’t be for another 4-6 weeks. At this time, my focus is entirely on the secure packaging and efficient fulfillment of the purchased books."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2020, 10:44 pm

I'm always pleased to see another publisher or author, who is a friend, have a sterling success like this!

aofl

Postby aofl » February 20th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Got the shipment notice about the book.

It's happening!

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 20th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Yep! got mine yesterday morning. :D

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 20th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Christopher1979 wrote:Yep! got mine yesterday morning. :D

You lucky son of a *&%$#!.......... First impressions?

It's going to take a few days for mine to get here, but i'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 21st, 2020, 11:26 am

Ooh sorry!... I meant that I got the shipping notification then. The book is going to arrive today.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Received my books today! WOW! I am in love.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 21st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Just got mine this second!.... Snap Richard!

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 21st, 2020, 8:08 pm

Just sat reading Forte's take on Erdnase. I am just floored, what a remarkable book this is! I tilt my hat to Forte.... just WOW!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 21st, 2020, 8:31 pm

No spoilers.

Return to “Buzz”