Announcement regarding new Steve Forte book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Re: Announcement regarding new Steve Forte book

Postby Christopher1979 » January 28th, 2020, 2:49 pm

That is kind of the reply I expected from you Mark...
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

performer

Postby performer » January 28th, 2020, 3:14 pm

You are of course welcome. I am not too proud to acknowledge that I can learn from other people.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Marco Pusterla wrote:
performer wrote:Still expensive but far more bearable than I first thought. I bet the shipping costs a fortune though! Especially overseas.........

Shipping to the UK starts at a bit more than $63 than to more than $100.

Heavy set of books = high postage cost. Steve is not trying to make money on your postage.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Hebert

Postby Brian Hebert » January 29th, 2020, 2:09 pm

I read that there were 1000 printed but does anyone know if it will be printed again?

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » January 29th, 2020, 2:15 pm

I had a few emails back and forth with his wife Cheryl asking other questions and yours. She said that Steve had never reprinted any of his works regardless of the demand and there has been no decision at this time if this one would be reprinted. They were likewise overwhelmed by the initial response.

Peace, Joe

kkelly

Postby kkelly » January 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm

does anyone know if the books will be available through any dealers?

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » January 29th, 2020, 4:53 pm

kkelly wrote:does anyone know if the books will be available through any dealers?

The rate they're selling, there won't be any left for dealers by the end of the week.

JustinM
Favorite Magician: Mike and 40.... The rest are dead!

Postby JustinM » January 29th, 2020, 5:12 pm

I ordered my copy 1st thing last saturday morning..... This is the last book you want to miss!....... Don't sit on the fence guys!

JustinM

Postby JustinM » January 30th, 2020, 11:28 am

Back to the topic. there are 86 copies left of the book.. Be on the right side of history!

jwjmcd

Postby jwjmcd » January 30th, 2020, 6:14 pm

67 left.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 30th, 2020, 6:56 pm

All:

The countdown to a sell out is exciting, and certainly Mr. Forte is soon to be congratulated on selling all 1,000 copies of his book, which I think makes it a bestseller as far as magic books are concerned. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, RK) The feat is even more impressive in light of the high price tag.

However, although it may expose me to flames and derision, I can't help but feel that due to the specialized, advanced nature of the material, I suspect there will likely be availability of this book on the secondary market for some time to come.

I have no data whatsoever to support this, of course. However, my hunch is based on the fact that the book is likely not full of sleight-free "miracles", nor are there lots of plots with iphones, Rubik's cubes and other gadgets (i.e., what the typical 2020 magi lusts after). If the sample pages are any indication, although Mr. Forte writes clearly, hand holding isn't his jam. You're going to have to read (sometimes between the lines) and seriously study to put this information to it's best use.

Therefore, I think more than a few people will get caught up in the hype, buy the book, leaf through it, realize it's not for them, and act to recoup their investment.

I wish to make it clear that I am NOT attempting to cast shade on Mr. Forte's magnum opus in any way. I ordered it, and feel certain I'm going to love it. But then again, my taste seems to run counter to so much of what is popular these days.

I guess I'm saying to anyone out there who is dying from FOMO but can't afford the book right now, I think eventually there will be a copy for you to buy at a not horrific premium if you are willing to be patient.

JustinM

Postby JustinM » January 30th, 2020, 7:13 pm

I had the exact same thoughts about a lot of people not being able to execute the material.. I have his other books and have no issues with the moves or their descriptions.... I have bought this new book as well...

Card magicians and lovers of sleight of hand may not realize it, but Steve Forte (Gaming expert) is actually responsible for more advancements in these areas (than most magicians), than he's given credit for! Look at his output.. and now with this, he's definitely on my mount rushmore!

JustinM

Postby JustinM » January 30th, 2020, 8:02 pm

57 left.. I'll be up all night counting down!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 30th, 2020, 8:29 pm

I just received an email from Mr. Forte that says in part: "I'll post the timeline for the next printing as soon as I have more definite information."

So, with regards to my previous post, in the words of the immortal Emily Litella: "Never mind."

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 30th, 2020, 8:52 pm

JustinM Wrote: "Look at his output.. and now with this, he's definitely on my mount rushmore!"

I would be remiss if I didn't chime in that Bill is on mine. This comment was unsolicited, and even unknown (until possibly now) by it's humble recipient. I have seen a lot of card manipulators, and there are some great ones, including several who are members of this very Forum. IMHO, there is no one more accomplished with a deck of cards than Steve, but I will say the same of Bill. I remember back around 1993, when I used to frequent Magical Moments, a wonderful brick and mortar shop, in Coral Springs Florida. It was co-owned by a fabulous magician named Cory Allen, who taught me a lot. One day, he told me, "Alfred, you love card magic; Bill Malone performs at the tables regularly at Cafe 66 in Fort Lauderdale. Go see him - he's the best card manipulator in the world." i honestly hadn't ever heard of him at that point. But I went down there and asked for Bill to come to my table. He did, and I realized Cory wasn't exaggerating! It changed my life, and my eyes are still popping out of my head to this day. And Bill can also do coins, silks, ropes, cups and balls, sponges, and more, plus an amazing platform and stage show to boot, all of it immaculate, and so incredibly magical. Marlo would be very proud...

JustinM

Postby JustinM » January 30th, 2020, 9:22 pm

No disagreement with anything you said, Alfred... Bill is a longtime friend of my teacher, who was the 1st person to bring Bill to my attention as one of the finest ENTERTAINERS, period!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 30th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Few will be able to execute the material in Steve's book. That is beside the point. One learns even if one doesn't do.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » January 31st, 2020, 8:14 am

Purchasing this book has been one of my better experiences in magic. Though expensive, the book is undoubtedly worth every penny, and that is counting the Erdnase material as a bonus. The website was very informative, had samples and functioned beautifully. I immediately received an email confirming my order. I forgot to ask for my copy to be signed, sent an email, and received a quick reply saying they would be happy to repair my oversight.

My only question: What does limited edition mean? Limited to two or three printings?

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 31st, 2020, 8:44 am

Interesting that there's thought of another printing. Originally Jason mentioned he thought they'd still have copies available for a few months. Obviously, it sold quicker than imagined. What is the smallest print run you can order to get books at a decent price? Like Richard said, most won't be able to execute the material, will a number of books hit the secondary market? Magicana had a second printing of the Thompson books, did that sell out as well? I would think Johnny's books are more for a wider market of general magic.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » January 31st, 2020, 8:54 am

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 31st, 2020, 9:50 am

This business about "few being able to execute the material" in Forte's book is a bunch of guff.
Presumably, if you've purchased this book, this isn't your first trip to the fun house, and you'll certainly be able to execute the material with the requisite time invested in practice.

If you've never picked up a deck of cards in your life, or have only been "into" cards for 6 months, Forte's book may not be for you ... but that's also true of any of many other authors, e.g.- Jack Carpenter.
It's a bit silly to imply in advance that "many" won't be able to execute the material in Forte's book when the only folks that would likely apply to are folks that would be better served by reading RRTCM.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 31st, 2020, 1:19 pm

Let’s keep the argument on point:

We can agree that most magicians won’t/can’t do most of the material in the book AND that those who do indeed read it but can’t do it can still get value from the experience.

We can also, I hope, agree that most magic books purchased never get read. I’ve bought far more books than I have read. I would say that’s true for most people who buy lots of books - and not just magic books.

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » January 31st, 2020, 2:04 pm

Meir Yedid did a small video with Steve where he explicitly stated that the material is for everyone. The third part are gambling demonstrations and he said they are not particularly difficult to do.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 31st, 2020, 3:06 pm

In this case, the official text specifically says limited edition, but doesn't seem to say the exact # of copies comprising that ultimate limited amount (.i.e 1000 could just be an initial run, with another printing, then no more.)

- Limited Edition

- Volume 1 - 515 pages; Volume 2 - 592 pages
- 11.5 x 8.5"
- #80 Arrestox B Stock
- Smyth Sewn, Black Cloth Boards w/ Silver Stamping
- Signed and inscribed books are available by request during checkout.
- Books will begin shipping the week of February 10th.

As such, if there is an additional print run, and then no more, it's still limited, albeit to the two (or however many) print runs extant.

I'm reasonably sure I've never seen a quote from Forte saying he'd never print more. In fact, I believe I saw Jason E. specify early on in the process that Forte was open to it.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on January 31st, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 31st, 2020, 3:18 pm

A day before the book was officially released:

Jason England wrote:Posted: Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am

The print run is 1000 copies. Steve isn't averse to printing more, but these would have to sell out first and then there would still have to be high demand before he would undertake something like a second printing. My guess? It won't happen for a while, if it ever happens.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 31st, 2020, 3:24 pm

Grippo's Wish wrote:Meir Yedid did a small video with Steve where he explicitly stated that the material is for everyone. The third part are gambling demonstrations and he said they are not particularly difficult to do.

With all due respect, I think Steve's definition of "for everybody" and "Not particularly difficult to do" might differ slightly from mine. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on January 31st, 2020, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 31st, 2020, 3:49 pm

I hope no one is ascribing ill intent to Steve’s ad copy.

Perhaps a better choice of words would have been “limited print run”

Nowhere on the site does it state a number of This edition. It is only through insider info that we know 1,000 were printed.

So Steve could print as many as he likes and call it a limited edition - so it should probably be taken not as a statement of limitation (as none was offered) but one of inventory.
Last edited by Brad Henderson on January 31st, 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » January 31st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Hey, this one's a limited edition bestseller!

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » January 31st, 2020, 8:12 pm

A limited count of 3 are left.

Peace, Joe

Joe Naud

Postby Joe Naud » January 31st, 2020, 9:20 pm

1 left.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » January 31st, 2020, 10:07 pm

All of Forte's books are now sold out!
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 31st, 2020, 10:39 pm

Steve’s background section hints at a third volume down the road.

Jason England

Postby Jason England » January 31st, 2020, 10:42 pm

If Steve decides to reprint, future printings will be clearly labeled "second printing" and it will only be because there is sufficient interest to justify a second run.

We said "Limited Edition" because we really believed that selling 1000 copies of a $300 dollar book would take some time, and we felt there was a very real possibility that he'd go to a wholesaler with his "remainder" copies after a few months of sales.

We were clearly (and happily) mistaken about the response and the ridiculously rapid time it took the book to sell out, but there was no intention to deceive anyone.

Jason

PS: Johnny Thompson sold 1500 copies in the first 2 weeks. Steve sold 1000 in 6 days. That's fewer copies, but a faster average rate, especially considering Steve's book is $50 more expensive than Johnny's (at least at Johnny's pre-sale price of $250). I think both of these guys have a case for "fastest selling magic book in history," yes? Can anyone think of a book that sold quicker? Especially in that $200+ range?

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 1st, 2020, 12:27 am

Changing the subject back to the real topic at hand:

Hopefully we'll see more of the marvellous video clips of Steve demonstrating some of the moves in the book appearing on the website in the future. Perhaps, if it feels too much like a giveaway, they can be behind a password for those who own the books.

I'd also like to see references pointing towards the relevant clips on the '52' DVD of GPS, if there are any.

Lastly, if there is a third volume somewhere down the line, can we get advance notice so as to get first dibs.

Just a few requests and wishes.

As you were.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 1st, 2020, 2:12 am

Jason England wrote: ... we really believed that selling 1000 copies of a $300 dollar book would take some time, and we felt there was a very real possibility that he'd go to a wholesaler with his "remainder" copies after a few months of sales.

There's a finite number of people who will purchase this book at this price. We know that that number is at least 1000. You took a gamble on the initial run of 1000. As it turned out, it wasn't much of a gamble after all. More like a sure thing.

Now the second run of 1000 might be a different story. It's here where your concerns expressed in the above quote might come into play. Who knows, they might also sell out in six days - but I doubt it.
I would think that most anyone who wanted to purchase a copy has already done so.

But then again, at $300 each, what percentage of 1000 copies does one need to sell before showing a profit. Considering that factor, then a second run of 1000 is probably a good decision, businesswise.

Just glad I got my copy.
Looking forward to reading it.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 1st, 2020, 2:36 am

WTF cares how many copies get printed?

I'll tell you who ... internet whiners who have inappropriately taken ownership of Forte's book such that they somehow feel they have the right to limit the number of books Forte makes available for sale, further excerbated because they also failed to understand the difference between "limited edition" and "never to be reprinted".

Wankers.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 1st, 2020, 10:52 am

This is really simple.

1) Producing something as a limited edition DOES add value and drive demand. That's why it's done.
2) Producing something as a limited edition DOES obligate the seller (ethically, if not legally) to maintain the edition's limited status.
3) Both sellers and buyers should exercise care and due diligence in their marketing efforts and interpretation thereof (respectively).
4) The obvious solution to the current "issue:" Steve could hand-number each book in the current run of 1000. He'll be signing most of them anyway.

Whether the initial copy or promotional efforts in this case were "misleading" is open to debate. Too old and tired go there.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 1st, 2020, 11:19 am

Roger M. wrote:WTF cares how many copies get printed?

I'll tell you who ... internet whiners who have inappropriately taken ownership of Forte's book such that they somehow feel they have the right to limit the number of books Forte makes available for sale, further excerbated because they also failed to understand the difference between "limited edition" and "never to be reprinted".

The publisher opened the door by stating "limited edition," but not stating and honoring/committing to a specific limit before opening sales. That's the whole point of a limited edition. It's a specific term, and the term was very arguably misused. "We'll print more if there's demand" is an open edition, not a limited edition. Further printings of a given edition are still the same edition.

The publisher is an amateur at publishing, and got it wrong. A noncommittal "limited supply" is apparently what was meant. Customers who care should notice the term was being used without stating a specific number, put that together with the publisher's amateur status, and ask for clarification before making the purchase. But the publisher did get it wrong.

Roger asks "WTF cares...?" Words matter. They're all we have to connect and communicate in this medium. Let's all be thoughtful and careful about how we use them.

Aron Prins

Postby Aron Prins » February 1st, 2020, 11:27 am

Super excited to get the book - SUPER DUPER excited about the bit on Erdnase, I think it will be the first time I'll read something other than "its amazing" or along those lines from what I hear from the sidelines :P
http://www.aronprins.com - Check my website for my latest work, or details how to contact me :)

Jason England

Postby Jason England » February 1st, 2020, 11:33 am

Ted M,

Just read your last reply in this thread.

You're absolutely right - we got it wrong! We meant "limited supply" and said "limited edition" instead. We screwed up and I apologize to anyone that purchased early and wished they'd waited (or not purchased at all).

Jason

Return to “Buzz”