A tv appearance

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

A tv appearance

Postby Brad Henderson » December 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm

This is me on the local news pitching an upcoming event. I do a trick. Not perfect, but not awful.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin ... --part-one

performer

Re: A tv appearance

Postby performer » December 19th, 2019, 1:42 pm

The restaurant will like that. I would be surprised if it doesn't bring business in.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 19th, 2019, 1:55 pm

EXPOSURE! **Gasp!** ;)

Seriously, nice job, Brad! (I laughed at the parsley line.)

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » December 19th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Good work! I'm curious about behind the scenes with this. Did you rehearse it with the host beforehand? And was he aware of the TT?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 19th, 2019, 3:19 pm

No rehearsal. I gave him the transitions I wanted to get Into the pitch of the event. I originally considered having him on my right and just telling him to look from behind and play along (the guy is a huge magic fan and likely has seen tips before). BUT when practicing i realized that this blocking was less ideal as it made the TT vulnerable to detection during the chat intro.

While I think most people would remain oblivious to it, I decided swapping places allowed me to not worry about that.

(I prefer as a rule to be on the left as it draws focus than the other way around BUT I also knew I would be doing the trick in close up and isolated so I could make that change without a loss of focus during the most important time - magically speaking).

Anyway, by putting him on my left the TT is concealed from him. It turns out however that the close up camera was at my far left so it even further blocked any chance of him seeing it.

But as I said, he’s a magic fan and I wasn’t too worried even if he did.

NOW we did NOT rehearse the hand shake! That came as a surprise BUT I've been loaded and offered a hand before and it’s been my experience that it doesn’t get noticed.

I’ve made several appearances on this network (my next will be the magic of Valentine’s Day) and we have a good working relationship. I let them know what I have planned basically and they take my lead on the blocking etc. but i want their reactions to be genuine.

Here is one of the two sets we did for halloween

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin ... -halloween

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Very good! There are some things that are just better when done with plump hands.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » December 19th, 2019, 6:05 pm

That was nice Brad! I liked your presentation style. Professional, no jokes about "Oh I see you're wearing that great French clothiers line, J.C. Pennay", etc.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » December 19th, 2019, 9:08 pm

That was great. I enjoyed the performance.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » December 19th, 2019, 10:36 pm

I’m guessing that although there was no rehearsal, you either gave the host the dollar or handled his bill prior to the performance since the folds for the switch were there before flips upside down first phase. Not that it’s needed since the first phase does the work (I do a similar first phase when I do the bill switch for exactly the same reason.) but it does streamline the work.

Very nice performance, Brad.

JMD

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 20th, 2019, 9:15 am

Yes. I gave him the dollar. I didn’t intend to create the illusion it was his. I was just going to start with ‘now, I’ve asked you to check out that dollar . . . ‘ the goal was to shift that examination process off screen for time purposes. BUT when I gave it to him he put it in his pocket so I just went with that.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 20th, 2019, 9:17 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Very good! There are some things that are just better when done with plump hands.

That’s what she said.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Nicely done. And the earlier tricks you've done are linked at the bottom -- worth seeing them as well.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 20th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Most of the ones that they have linked were ancillary content shot for the web. Sadly the performance segments what fed into them are not online.

BUT here is the follow up web segment from this shoot. I actually teach a trick - one I learned in 2nd grade from a book I got in my elementary school library.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin ... --part-two

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » December 26th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I actually teach a trick....

I'm looking forward to hearing your lecture at the Oakland Magic Circle meeting on Tuesday, January 7th. I expect you'll do much more than teach tricks. You'll challenge us all to reflect and expand our thinking. See you then.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 26th, 2019, 11:06 pm

I’m looking forward to the lecture. While tricks will be used as vehicles for discussion, my goal is truly to share some idea, technique, or strategy during the course of the evening that will empower everyone to better realize their own magic goals and visions.

It will be hands on, as much as the group will go for, and I hope that some of the ideas are indeed challenging to people’s way of thinking. And I will discuss why disagreeing with me is good!

Im trying to pare it down to just two or three key concepts (though each will be well explored). I tend to want to share everything I have every thought about a subject and that leads to overload.

Return to “Buzz”