New David Regal Book Coming in September

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

New David Regal Book Coming in September

Postby Zig Zagger » August 2nd, 2019, 11:54 am

David Regal is very high up on my personal list of magic creators and performers. Hell, if I were much younger, I‘d probably be a fan-boy with a cheesy t-shirt, chasing him for autographs! I treasure all of his books, and I am particularly impressed by his talent for creating audience engagement through meaningful, original trick premises and quirky routines. He also seems to be an all-around nice and funny guy you‘d love to have a good (German) beer with. And his last book, Approaching Magic, came out already one decade ago.

Having said that, I am very excited to learn about his upcoming book, Interpreting Magic. According to his website, this tome delivers another 550+ pages of original magic, among them 60+ routines with more than 1,000 photographs and some 30 conversations with other magic inventors and artists. The book will be available mid-September, the price is 75$ plus shipping.

Find out more here: http://www.davidregal.com
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Zig Zagger

Re: New David Regal Book Coming in September

Postby Zig Zagger » August 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Addendum:

You can see the full table of contents here:

http://davidregal.com/Contents.pdf
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I heard about this at Porland Magic Jam, where David was the headliner.

Having read the the TOC, I’d buy it just for the conversations...

Where do we get our t-shirts?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I helped proofread the book. Highest recommendation.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » August 8th, 2019, 7:32 am

I received an advance copy of something that made me happy. If you would like to receive an email when it is available, go here:

https://davidregal.us12.list-manage.com ... 97c79a063f

Here's the first ad:

http://davidregal.com/redactedad.jpg

David Regal

Postby David Regal » August 18th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hi All -

I am in Chicago shooting the current (and final) order of The Carbonaro Effect. It's a crazy sort of schedule and, somehow, my book is coming out at the same time.

The order window was made live briefly so that the fulfillment company I'm using could check things out to make sure information was passing through into their system - some orders came in during that open window, but I did not mean to offer the book for sale yet, as the book will not arrive until the 2nd week of September.

The first official ordering window will go to my mailing list (you can get on it at https://davidregal.us12.list-manage.com/......79a063f) followed by online links here and at http://www.regalmagic.com.

I will be selling the book directly for a time, and you will understand why when you see the final product, which is lovely. I have an advance copy in my Chicago apt where they put me up, and I sleep with the thing some nights. It turned out well, but the costs involved with going the extra mile were significant... and for that reason I'll be selling the book directly.

The price, while it is sold direct, will be $75 plus s&h, the same retail as Approaching Magic although this book is slightly larger, and more deluxe in a couple of ways.

The book is a labor of love, and a different sort of book. There is a lot of material... and a lot of other things as well. Thanks in advance for your interest, and I hope you are pleased with the purchase.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 18th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Wait...the last season of The Carbonaro Effect?! Nooooo!

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » August 19th, 2019, 4:08 pm

And news are getting worse:

David graciously cut out some time from his busy schedule to answer my questions on inspiration, creating magic, and his new book. (That's the good news.)

Now get this: Interpreting Magic may well be his last book! And David does not feel too young to retire from magic... :o

Great teaser, eh? ;) I'll post the interview in my blog once it's edited in a day or two. I will let you know here. Please stand by.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:

Having read the the TOC, I’d buy it just for the conversations

You’re right, the conversations alone must be worth the price of admission.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » August 21st, 2019, 5:15 am

Zig Zagger wrote:And news are getting worse:

David graciously cut out some time from his busy schedule to answer my questions on inspiration, creating magic, and his new book. (That's the good news.)

Now get this: Interpreting Magic may well be his last book! And David does not feel too young to retire from magic... :o

Great teaser, eh? ;) I'll post the interview in my blog once it's edited in a day or two. I will let you know here. Please stand by.

Well that was unnecessarily provocative.

Jan asked me if there was going to be some sort of trilogy, one that started with Approaching Magic, is continuing with Interpreting Magic, and will culminate with some other book. I told him I can't imagine that (no - there's no trilogy). This one took ten years AND IT'S STILL ON ITS WAY TO ME. It's not even HERE yet. Another book? This is like when I'd visit my Nana Etta. I'd walk in the door and the first thing she'd say is, "When am I going to see you again?" To which the only proper response is, "Nana Etta, cool your freaking jets."

Then he led into a question by saying, "You are obviously way too young to retire..." to which I replied, "I am not too young to retire," which is true. I get into the movies at a discount. Turning that into some sort of headline... what's the point? People ALREADY think I've retired, as producing The Carbonaro Effect has caused me to vanish for six years. No, I am not too young to retire. In fact, you can literally see my hair go grey while flipping through the pages of Interpreting Magic, but the tricks are not in chronological order, so the end result looks like I occasionally try to dye my hair, and fail at it.

The only headline I want is "David Regal has a new book." It will arrive in September, you should check it out, and it will be available at http://www.regalmagic.com.

P.S. I received an advance copy, and I'm pleased with it. And "pleased" means I occasionally sleep with it. Not kidding.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » August 21st, 2019, 6:42 am

David Regal wrote:
Well that was unnecessarily provocative.

Sorry, David! You're right, that was a bit too much of a pitch.
Even though it was intended tongue-in-cheek, not as "big news." My bad.

There is absolutely much more relevant information and personal insights in your answers than this bit. Thanks again for sharing these and for your time!

https://zzzauber.wordpress.com/2019/08/ ... vid-regal/

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 21st, 2019, 10:40 pm

David Regal wrote:...you can literally see my hair go grey while flipping through the pages of Interpreting Magic, but the tricks are not in chronological order, so the end result looks like I occasionally try to dye my hair, and fail at it.

What I read is there's a bonus hair color Spellbound flip book hidden in Interpreting Magic.

More excited than ever now.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » September 4th, 2019, 11:54 am

My new book Interpreting Magic will be available in two weeks. Here is an advance review:

INTERPRETING MAGIC
Review by Michael Close

It has been ten years since David Regal has gifted us with a big book of magic; that book was the wonderful Approaching Magic. His new book is Interpreting Magic, and it, too, is wonderful, with a wide variety of clever routines of all types (suitable for close-up, parlor, and stage), insightful essays, and interviews with a who’s-who of top creators and performers. There is literally something for everyone here.

If you want to skip the rest of the review and head right to David’s website to order the book, here’s the bottom line. If this book only had the magic routines, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the essays, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the interviews, it would be worth the price. To get all three, packed into a beautifully produced, 565-page book is a gift. In fact, it’s the gift that keeps on giving, because I know you will return to it often to find magic you previously overlooked and to remind yourself of the wealth of useful information contained within.

David Regal performs regularly at the Magic Castle and makes infrequent convention appearances. What has kept him off the magic radar is his work as a consultant for television and movies. In particular, he has been the driving magical force behind the popular hidden camera/prank show, The Carbonaro Effect, which is currently taping its fifth season.

I am a longtime fan of David Regal’s work. He has a knack for creating well-constructed, sneaky routines. As I read through them, I almost always encounter something that makes me think, “Ah, that’s clever.” In addition to the craftsmanship shown methodologically, what I really appreciate is that every routine he publishes has a “hook,” a premise, some bit of unexpected whimsy that draws the spectator into the proceedings. David also emphasizes scripting; each piece has a thought-out presentation. You might not (and probably won’t) use his words verbatim, but he offers a pathway that can aid you as you write your own script. A third important factor is staging; David understands how to elevate an effect (and conceal sneaky stuff) through blocking and audience management. Even if you never perform any of his routines, you will learn a lot by studying how he puts them together.

Scattered throughout Interpreting Magic are essays devoted to topics such as the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph: Staging, Structure, and Conditions; Writing Magic; Magic in Motion; Method and Effect; The Power in Not Knowing; Examining Examination; The Human Element; Falling Down; and several others. All of this information is backed up by David’s years of experience as an improvisational comedian, a comedy writer for television, and a consultant/coach for many projects. The overarching priority, however, is given in the title: the need for magicians to be interpreters of the magic effects they perform. In the Preface he writes:

This book has many pages, but its intent can be summed up in a sentence: The surest pathway to good magic is through interpretation.

It’s strange that there is a need to point this out, as it is something that goes without saying in the case of all the other arts. No singer purchases the sheet music to a song, and thinks, “I’m done.” The singer is not done. The singer is just beginning, and the sheet music is a tool that allows the singer to begin.

That is what a magic secret is. It’s wonderful, essential, and just the beginning.

Secrets are a necessary component of magic. They allow a performance of magic to occur, and as such are a means to an end, not the end. They give us a way in which to reach a desired aim, and the better secrets and methods provide pathways that allow our aim to be realized with elegance. The audience does not enjoy the secret, because the audience does not perceive the secret. All the audience can take in is the presentation of our intent. The decisions we make in the process of creating that intent become our interpretation.

How important is this idea of personalized interpretation? I’ll let you make up your own mind about that, but here’s a hint. Interpreting Magic includes interviews with more than thirty of the top performers and creators in magic today. I’ll give you a partial list. As you read through the names, make note of the fact that each and every one of these magicians has established an identifiable, unique performing style: Simon Aronson, Barry & Stuart, John Bannon, Gaetan Bloom, Eugene Burger, Derren Brown, Lance Burton, John Carney, Mike Caveney, Raymond Crowe, Charlie Frye, Guy Hollingworth, Helder Guimaraes, Kevin James, Mac King, Martin Lewis, John Lovick, Max Maven, Eric Mead, Jeff McBride, Andy Nyman, David Roth, Juan Tamariz, Teller, Johnny Thompson, Suzanne, Paul Vigil, Michael Weber, David Williamson, R. Paul Wilson, Rob Zabrecky. If you have been in magic for any length of time at all, merely reading the name conjures up images of that person’s performing style. This is the importance of interpretation.

I’ve touched on the essays and the interviews, what about the tricks? As I mentioned above, there is just about something for everyone – card tricks, coin tricks, close-up routines, and magic for parlor and stage. I should mention most of these routines are designed for a formal presentation, like the Close-up Gallery or the Parlor of Mystery in the Magic Castle. They are longer routines, and some require the addition of extra “secret” stuff – like a servante for example. While this means you won’t be table-hopping with this repertoire, you will find routines that would work perfectly at the magic theaters that have recently sprung up around the country. I would not classify any of the routines as technically difficult, but they are not geared for the beginner – some magic experience is required. For those of you who love little gizmos and gadgets, you’ll find quite a few of them here; and you’ll probably have a delightful time sitting at your kitchen table putting them together.

And that’s about all I have to say about that. Please support this project; as you’ll hear in my conversation with David this month, producing a magic book is a labor of love. You simply cannot imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into it. Interpreting Magic has everything you want in a magic book: a wide variety of cool tricks, valuable essays, and insightful conversations with magic’s upper echelon of performers and creators. I give it my highest recommendation.

You can download a newsletter containing an advance trick and an audio interview at www.michaelclose.com

David Regal

Postby David Regal » September 17th, 2019, 9:07 pm

IT'S ARRIVED - IT'S SHIPPING
I'm pleased to report that The Regal Has Landed...

"I give it my highest recommendation."
Michael Close

"'Interpreting Magic' is outstanding."
Josh Jay

“This book offers a wealth of wonderful ideas that will ignite your passion of magic and put you to work.”
Asi Wind

"An enthusiastic five-star rating out of a possible five stars."
Nick Lewin - VANISH Magazine

"'Interpreting Magic' is smart, creative, and insightful on every level."
John Guastaferro

"I haven't had this much fun reading a magic book in many years."
Mark Kalin

AVAILABLE NOW
WWW.REGALMAGIC.COM

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » September 25th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Mine arrived in Georgia yesterday. Started devouring it last night. Great stuff. Thanks, David!

David Regal

Postby David Regal » September 26th, 2019, 8:16 am

"I gained knowledge and joy from every page of this book."
Norman Beck - M.U.M. Magazine

The shipping company is now sending out confirmations to purchasers including shipping/tracking numbers. They are doing an amazing, precise job and books are being shipped same-day.

Thank you all.

TerryTerrell
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby TerryTerrell » September 30th, 2019, 7:12 am

Mine came in last week. Reading the Conversations pieces first.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 30th, 2019, 9:25 am

Arrived in Indiana. It’s stunning.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 30th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Got my copy today, and spent a couple of hours with it. I read the front matter, the first four tricks (found a Spectator Cuts the Aces routine that will probably replace the one I love*), and read the David Roth and Suzanne conversations. This book is a gift.

Thank you Mr. Regal

* which is kind of fun because it's also a David Regal trick.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 1st, 2019, 12:57 am

David,

Will you be at Genii, with copies of the book?

I'd like to buy one.

KG

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 1st, 2019, 8:14 am

Thank you for the kind comments.

I am finishing up an order of The Carbonaro Effect in Chicago, so, unfortunately, I can't attend the Genii convention. For now, the only way to get the book is to place an order through my website, where it is instantly routed to a company handling fulfillment (and they are pros).

David

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » October 1st, 2019, 3:32 pm

My copy arrived in Rhode Island yesterday. I have a good-sized library of books on magic, but I dare say that this one could replace them all. Top-notch magic, well-written, beautiful (and copious) photographs, high-quality printing and binding. The routines are clearly the product of many years of performing, refining and honing. High entertainment value, and with something for folks of all levels of manual dexterity.

Thank you, David. As someone said, this is a gift!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » October 6th, 2019, 3:59 pm

I just started reading the new David Regal book. I am only a couple of tricks in but I can already tell that reading this book is going to be an incredible experience.

The first trick in the book is a very unusual card trick.

I just wanted to mention that Stage Shout by Roy Walton has a similar structure. It is the opening trick in The Complete Walton - Volume 1.

Both these tricks use sneaky "one-behind" type thinking. As such if you like this trick you may want to check out the Walton trick as well. The tricks are pretty different but the structure is similar. At least that is how it seems to me.

I can't wait to check out the rest of the book.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 6th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Yes, it's the same gathering of assets during the "Whispering Queens" portion of the effect - the assets are then put to work differently. An effect occurs at the end that pushes things in an interesting way. By that I mean it is an escalation, the climax, and I wasn't even sure an audience would believe anything happened until I tried the trick out. It's just one of those things. When that "pushed" effect landed and drew applause, I truly thought: Well how about that?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » October 7th, 2019, 1:47 am

Yeah - you took it to the next level.

Almost like the balls of Bro Hamman meets the sneakiness of Roy Walton.

Your books are some of the very best in magic. I want to dive into your latest book straightaway. But I also want to take my time because it will be such an enjoyable experience.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 7th, 2019, 9:02 am

You are very kind - they are both heroes of mine. I'm glad you are enjoying the book.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » October 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I ordered on September 17th. Looking forward to receiving it in Santa Barbara.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » October 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I just wanted to mention that Stage Shout by Roy Walton has a similar structure. It is the opening trick in The Complete Walton - Volume 1.
Whoops - that should be Volume 2. I am going from memory here. But I am pretty certain it is the opening trick of volume 2.

Roy M. McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » October 7th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I ordered the book last night and got confirmation that it had shipped this morning. Great service and looking forward to another great book.

1stgerri
Favorite Magician: Giobbi

Postby 1stgerri » October 9th, 2019, 4:10 pm

David Regal wrote:
I will be selling the book directly for a time, ..

David, hi,--

are there any decisions or maybe plans to sell Interpreting Magic through a magic dealer? As I treasure all of your books and many of your DVDs and Tricks it's painful for me to add more than 50% onto the (very fair) price due to the international shipping costs.

Thanks in advance and all the best

Gerri

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 9th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Shipping internationally has become very expensive. It has essentially doubled since my last book came out. Interpreting Magic is large, about 6 pounds, and that $45 overseas shipping charge is actually a greatly discounted rate. For me to ship the book internationally, personally, I would have to pay $70 (and I have), so I pay a big fulfillment company to do the shipping for me - the cost dropped to $45 as they negotiate discounts with the Major Package-Movers of the Earth.

Yes, it's expensive to ship internationally. No, it's not a profit center. You are paying much less than if I walked it to the post office! When I work The Session in January I will ship some books ahead, and I assume there will be more savings realized due to shipping groups of books in cartons. I will pass whatever those savings are on. To be clear, I have zero desire to make a profit on shipping.

As for selling to stores, it may happen sometime in the future but for now I need orders to go through me for a simple reason: I paid 100% of the costs and I see a much higher rate of return by selling direct. This book is a beautifully-printed (expensive) book, and for me to see a reasonable return going through the traditional distribution chain, the retail price might need to rise. So, in the end, that international postage fee with the retail at $75 (US dollars) might not be a far cry from the eventual cost to buy it in a store overseas.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 16th, 2019, 10:51 am

From an interview subject in the book, who just received his copy of Interpreting Magic:

"Congratulations on a beautiful and fascinating book! There are so many interesting ideas here, and every one has a great premise and script. I can't imagine anyone not being inspired by your explorations."
John Carney

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

I will second David's comment that $45 for overseas shipping is a greatly discounted rate. And I know, having just published books that were 20 pounds and 10 pounds in recent years.

Customers often complain about the cost of shipping as if it's our fault, as publishers, and as if we are trying to do something sneaky like get more money than the retail price because of the cost of shipping. We are not doing that. In fact, the opposite is the case: we absorb some of the shipping cost and don't pass the entire amount along to the customer.

You can thank the US Post Office for the increased cost because they eliminated overseas shipping by boat some years ago.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 17th, 2019, 1:49 pm

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 20th, 2019, 10:41 am

I admit I've been clicking on the Genii website for a few days now, waiting for the November issue and the review of Interpreting Magic. The review, by Francis Menotti, has been published, and here is the first paragraph:

"David Regal is not human. Over the hours, no-days-of thoroughly digesting the more than 500 pages of his freshly released tome, it is evident that the man is part elfish imp, part unstoppable robot, and a fully whimsical creative genius with the witty demeanor of a mischievous Terry Pratchett character. If one is looking for another procedural, academic textbook featuring the here's-a-trick, here's-the-method format, they will be disappointed. This is a journey through magic and its construction and its betterment. It is a collection of time-and experience-tested thoughts, cleverly disguised in tricks, moves, routines, essays, and an impressive number of interviews with many of today's top minds in magic."

The book was a journey and a labor of love, so I am pleased that people are responding to it. Many thanks.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » October 24th, 2019, 10:48 am

From the review of Interpreting Magic in today's Magicseen Magazine:

"If the book consisted of only the tricks, it would already be a "Must Buy," but that is only one third of the book's content."
Mark Leveridge

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » November 2nd, 2019, 8:55 pm

Wow - that story about Francis Carlyle and his identical twin brother that David Roth shares in the book is brilliant.

So funny.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » November 3rd, 2019, 8:57 am

Some things came out of the interviews that I'm very glad I was able to record.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm

David's new book also got a rave review from Michael Close, who, in a detailed review, gave it his highest recommendation.

(If you want to hear an insightful hour-long podcast of David discussing the book (and related topics), sign up for the Michael Close newsletter and check out "Conversations with Close" [September, 2019])

It is sadly rare these days that I can read a book from cover to cover, page by page. This is one book for which I am making the time to do so. It is absolutely FANTASTIC. Perhaps the best thing I can say is that this book has excited, inspired and pushed me to take action to work to find my own path to MY very best magic.

My recommendation? Buy the book now!!! :D

Return to “Buzz”