Magicflix

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Magicflix

Postby Joe Lyons » September 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

Has anyone subscribed or have any input on this: http://www.magicflix.com

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Re: Magicflix

Postby Zig Zagger » September 7th, 2019, 5:08 am

There's a full article about this by Nick Lewin in the latest issue of VANISH magazine, plus a promo code for a free trial.

http://www.vanishmagazine.com
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 9th, 2019, 1:57 am

Ugh, I attempt to read an issue of Vanish a few times every year (in the hope that it might somehow have improved) and am amazed at how consistently crappy it remains (even as a free mag!)

Magicflix isn't the worst idea ever, but I can't imagine the breadth/longevity of such a service would be long lasting. I suspect they'll get decent initial signups followed by a marked decline in memberships over a few years time until it's no longer cost effective to run the service. The proprietors seems like nice folks, so for their sake, I hope I'm wrong, but suspect I'm not.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » September 9th, 2019, 9:41 am

Chris Aguilar wrote:
Magicflix isn't the worst idea ever, but I can't imagine the breadth/longevity of such a service would be long lasting. I suspect they'll get decent initial signups followed by a marked decline in memberships over a few years time until it's no longer cost effective to run the service. The proprietors seems like nice folks, so for their sake, I hope I'm wrong, but suspect I'm not.

This will be interesting to watch. The lifespan of a magic video is about that of a Mayfly. Just this morning I see Hocus Pocus selling 95 Murphy Lecture DVDs for $225. Cipher that.

I can see a hard road unless they follow the Netflix model and produce their own unique content. We're talking fairly serious sheckels there, I assume.

As always, time will tell.

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » November 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

One administrative point: I signed up for the free trial...decided it wasn't for me. But, to be fair, I stayed for the first month 'paid'. Now, try as I might, I cannot unsubscribe (it says I already have) - my card keeps getting charged. I have emailed the staff, but it might pay to stay away until they fix that issue!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Deal with it through your credit card company right away.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Link Watch”