The Great Magician (film)

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
John Tudor

The Great Magician (film)

Postby John Tudor » September 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Has anyone seen the movie The Great Magician? It's on Netflix and Youtube, in Chinese with English subtitles. I think it's awesome; a lush, nuanced production that I highly recommend. It's an action fantasy comedy with political intrigue and romance, which plays out in magic shows. This may be old news, as it came out in 2011, but I just discovered it, and am watching it for the second time. (I didn't see it in the Forum archives)
"In the early 1920's, on the streets of Beijing, the nation's most talented performers have gathered to show off their most spectacular skills. The challenge is set: a handsome prize to whomever can reproduce a magic trick called the Eight Immortals"
Magicians will be impressed by the seamless mix of stage magic with CGI.
Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BJ8-qMgMc
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Max Maven

Re: The Great Magician (film)

Postby Max Maven » September 5th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I spoke about this film in a Genii audio column several years ago.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai is perhaps the only actor I’ve ever seen who, in playing the part of a magician, handles his props as if he is completely familiar with them.

Moreover, according to Chinese sources I asked, he had no experience with conjuring prior to this film.

Return to “Alternative Media”