Perfect timing

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

Perfect timing

Postby Jason Ladanye » May 11th, 2019, 10:59 am

New blog is up! Find out more about the perfect time to do anything.

https://www.cardmagicbyjason.com/perfect-timing/

Gerald Deutsch

Re: Perfect timing

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 21st, 2019, 4:16 pm

My First Job

While I was going to college I wanted to be a part time salesman in a department store and be able to work with people. At that time I was already doing magic. I also smoked two packs of cigarettes a day.

The manager told me after I was hired and accepted the job that they needed a stock boy and that was the job I had to fill.

I was bored down there, alone in the basement stocking merchandise and smoking. Then the manager caught me.

“Hey – Stock boy – Smoking is not allowed. Make that cigarette disappear! Now!”

I took the cigarette out of my mouth with my right hand, transferred it to my left, waved my right fingers over my left and – and – the cigarette was gone!

“Hey – come up here.”

I was no longer a stock boy.

Skmayhew2

Postby Skmayhew2 » July 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm

Gerald Deutsch wrote:My First Job

While I was going to college I wanted to be a part time salesman in a department store and be able to work with people. At that time I was already doing magic. I also smoked two packs of cigarettes a day.

The manager told me after I was hired and accepted the job that they needed a stock boy and that was the job I had to fill.

I was bored down there, alone in the basement stocking merchandise and smoking. Then the manager caught me.

“Hey – Stock boy – Smoking is not allowed. Make that cigarette disappear! Now!”

I took the cigarette out of my mouth with my right hand, transferred it to my left, waved my right fingers over my left and – and – the cigarette was gone!

“Hey – come up here.”

I was no longer a stock boy.

Terrific story!!!

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 21st, 2019, 5:44 pm

LOL. Thanks for sharing that, Jerry.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » July 23rd, 2019, 11:54 pm

"Nothing is perfect. (Except for my bottom deal.)".... Bold statement!
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 24th, 2019, 12:32 am

I sort of feel the same about myself : nothing is perfect, except for my bottom.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Yikes!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 24th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Oh, grow up.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 24th, 2019, 9:54 pm

In the Air National Guard

I was appointed an “Element Leader” during Basic Training with the Air National Guard and was in charge of a group of recruits from all over the country.

There was one fellow JB – something from some small town. I don’t think he ever wore a pair of shoes before joining the Air National Guard. He was a nice fellow but a bit difficult to get under control.

One day we were all out in the woods on some sort of “exercise’ and we had to build a fire. I assigned various tasks to the guys and I asked JB to get some logs.

“I don’t have to listen to you, Deutsch,” he said.

I just wasn’t in the mood.

I picked up a rock with my right hand, transferred it to my left hand and while JB looked on, I gestured with my right hand over my left hand as I counted, “1-2-3”. At the count of “3” I opened my left hand and the rock was-----gone!

I then raised my right hand and gestured over JB counting, “1 -2----“

I never finished. As I said “2” JB raised both hands and yelled “No! No!”

I never again had any problems with JB.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 25th, 2019, 1:16 pm

In College

When I was in college I was in a fraternity. I did then – as I do now – mostly close up magic – sleight of hand with cards coins and objects commonly carried by most of us. I also learned to do some pick pocketing and I became good at stealing watches.

Every Friday there was a “party” and our social chairman would invite a sorority or a girl’s “house plan” to visit. Usually it was just an interesting evening but some brothers did meet girls that they began to date on a regular basis.

One Friday as sorority girls that were invited came into our place, I noted a very pretty girl that I wanted to meet. “Howie,” I said to my friend, “Look at her. I’m going to show you a brilliant idea I came up with for my watch trick. It will really fool her.”

What I did was to say “hello” to the girl and take her arm and bring her over to Eddy, another fraternity brother who was a good looking ladies man and I introduced them – asking her name of course and as I did I slipped her watch to Eddy. Eddy gave her the watch – which of course bewildered her because he had not had any contact at all with her.

But then Eddy put his arms around the bewildered girl and led her to a couch.

“I don’t think that idea was too brilliant,” said Howie.

I did learn when and when not to do magic.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”