Anthony Owen Has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Anthony Owen Has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Just saw this terrible news on Facebook. No other details. He did not seem to be in ill health.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Re: Anthony Owen Has Died

Postby erdnasephile » April 13th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Oh, man! I was a big fan of his work. This happened way too soon... So sad.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » April 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm

I was literally in the middle of a project With him and there was never any hint of illness or problems. He leaves behind three children who he loved more then words could express.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 14th, 2019, 2:53 am

I was proud to call Anthony my friend. I first saw him more than 25 years ago in London's Monday Night Magic with John Lenahan. I interviewed him on stage at an International Magic convention and had great respect for him. He was a producer at Objective Productions and worked on the Derren Brown TV shows. He wrote a book about something called Changin' Glue (not sure if it's in the U.S.), but beyond all that he was a lovely, warm, talented man. I am devastated.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 14th, 2019, 3:24 am

Matthew Field wrote: He wrote a book about something called Changin' Glue (not sure if it's in the U.S.), but beyond all that he was a lovely, warm, talented man. I am devastated.

I'm guessing that is his "Sticky Blue Book" (https://www.magicbookshop.com/p/books/t ... -blue-book).
This is really sad news. Anthony was always lovely to deal with when I was at H & R, starting with his Dungeon issues and continuing through more recent publications. Thinking of his family and many friends.

jwjmcd

Postby jwjmcd » April 14th, 2019, 7:42 am

Really shocked to hear this. What an incredibly lovely human. The world is a lot poorer today. So sad. Rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 14th, 2019, 10:43 am

LONG POST
In 2004 I moved to the U.K. with my lovely, British-born wife, who had lived in the U.S. for about 30 years. A year later, having settled down, I joined The Magic Circle. Some time after that I received a phone call from a gentleman I had seen about 10 years earlier when I visited London. Anthony Owen was back then working with John Lenahan on something called Monday Night Magic, and it was a great show. Afterward, the three of us chatted for a while.

So, that phone call was an invitation from Anthony to meet him in the offices of Objective Productions in London and have lunch with him. I jumped at the chance. Anthony was producing magic shows for Objective, notably the Derren Brown specials. I had spent the previous 25 years working in radio in New York, many of them at classical WNCN.

Over lunch we reminisced and spoke about all manner of things, his role at Objective, his growing family, my magic book editing, and my move across the pond. As always, Anthony was inquisitive, funny, friendly and warm. I enjoyed the time with him.

Eventually I took over editorship of The Magic Circular, the monthly magazine of The Magic Circle which Anthony had previously edited (he had previously edited his own Dungeon magazine), and we had long talks about that. Some years later, Anthony requested that I interview him on stage for the International Magic Convention, which I happily did.

We met and talked regularly, often at The Magic Circle, and Anthony helped me set up an interview with Derren Brown for a cover story in the magazine. He went on to produce many magic shows for TV, often for the BBC and its children's channel, CBBC, including "Help! My Supply Teacher is Magic." ("Supply teacher" is British for "substitute teacher".) Many of these were award-winners, including a BAFTA. He was also involved in stage productions. He was always humble and always had a twinkle in his eye. Anthony had an on-line magic company which marketed tricks he had invented, and he wrote several books, including his big one, "Secrets"..

It was with disbelief that I awoke this morning to read that Anthony died suddenly on Friday leaving his wife and three children, to whom I send my deepest condolences.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 15th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Here's Andi Gladwin's tribute: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/anthony-owen/

Mr. Gladwin says that the profits from the sales of Mr. Owen's outstanding book, Secrets, are going towards a youth magic scholarship.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 21st, 2019, 4:01 am

From Magic Week UK...

http://www.magicweek.co.uk/

Andy Nyman writes: This week was the inquest into the death of our dear friend Anthony Owen. It was concluded that tragically Anthony took his own life. Anthony was one of the kindest, sweetest, most creative and best-loved figures in the magic world, so the fact that he kept his mental health and work pressures a dark secret came as a terrible shock to so many of us. The male 'code of silence' is a devastating one that means that for men under 45, suicide is the largest cause of death. If you are struggling at all, you can call CALM - the male suicide helpline on 0800 58 58 58 (nationwide) or 0808 802 58 58 (London). You can also visit the website and chat online at http://www.thecalmzone.net

(The US number is 1-800-273-8255)
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Return to “Buzz”