Please retire the term, "cardman."

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Jackpot

Re: Please retire the term, "cardman."

Postby Jackpot » March 21st, 2019, 12:18 am

Bill Duncan wrote:But an important distinction is that there is no award for Best Sound Editing by a Person with Ovaries. Technical awards are genderless.

;)

I'm only guessing, but I suspect that has to do with who's seen on the big screen. While you see the actors (both male and female), you don't see the technical people. Awards for Best Actor and Best Actress were given at the inaugural event in 1929 while an award for Best Sound Engineering wasn't presented until 1963.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 21st, 2019, 7:25 am

As there were only 7 or 8 awards given at the early Oscars, perhaps splitting the acting category into genders allowed for a greater number of people who could be recognized. This is a reasonable conclusion since Chaplin was up for three awards for the same movie and they removed him from the running (giving him a special award) intentionally to allow more people to be honored.

It seems the history of the Oscars has been to expand to recognize a greater number of people. Having two actors recognized makes more since than just one.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm

And in other news, apparently this sitcom is in pre-production: https://deadline.com/2019/02/like-magic ... 202560174/

I hope she does card tricks...

;)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 21st, 2019, 3:26 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Pete, I wrote exactly what I meant. Don't pretend to read my mind.

Richard, if I have misunderstood, or mischaracterized your opinion, I am sorry.

Please help me to understand. Are you saying that you specifically meant to exclude women from the point you were making? In other words, are you saying that your use of the term cardmen was deliberately chosen, so that the claim about GH's ability would be only relative to other men?

If that is the case, can I ask why you meant to limit your meaning in this way? Do you think there are enough female card magicians of sufficient skill that GH would not be considered one of the best card magicians in the world without that restriction? Or was there some other reason you wanted to limit your assessment to male card magicians only?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 21st, 2019, 11:43 pm

Jackpot wrote:
Bill Duncan wrote:But an important distinction is that there is no award for Best Sound Editing by a Person with Ovaries. Technical awards are genderless.

;)

I'm only guessing, but I suspect that has to do with who's seen on the big screen. While you see the actors (both male and female), you don't see the technical people. Awards for Best Actor and Best Actress were given at the inaugural event in 1929 while an award for Best Sound Engineering wasn't presented until 1963.

Sorry, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Return to “Feature Articles”