The Magic Rainbow

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
PapaG

Re: The Magic Rainbow

Postby PapaG » March 17th, 2019, 12:19 am

Your cleaning lady needs a raise.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 17th, 2019, 8:33 am

A few days ago, Mike Powers posted that he had a couple of shrink-wrapped copies for sale at 20% off retail.

(I did not post the link here since it's from another forum, and he did not include his personal information in the ad. However, Mr. Powers is very easy to track down)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 17th, 2019, 10:51 am

PapaG wrote:Your cleaning lady needs a raise.

Congratulations. You just undermined your entire position.

If a few hours of my cleaning lady’s time is worth more than $80, as you claim, then the lifetime of work that went into the production of the book, the writing of the book, the editing and translating of the book, the years of experimentation and thinking that went into the material that comprises the book is easily worth much more than $150 to any magician who strives for greatness, or at the very least, improvement. (With a nod to john Carney for that turn of phrase).

Good work!

We knew you’d come around to our way of thinking.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » March 17th, 2019, 11:02 am

If I was younger I would be looking for a facepalm emoji.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 17th, 2019, 11:13 am

If you were younger you wouldn’t still be complaining how soda used to cost a nickel.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 17th, 2019, 11:14 am

Brad--you may want to read this article:

https://www.vox.com/2015/7/16/8961799/h ... ob-clients

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 17th, 2019, 11:31 am

I’ve read it. I’ve known the lady who works with me for years. She set the price so I hope she is happy. I’m an open book so there is no need for her to spy on anything. She’s a great person and I have no doubt she thinks of my Place as the ‘magic house’.

This last week she arrived while I was out. She had been on a trip and was unaware of my collection’s newest addition - a full sized taxidermied grizzly bear.

When she noticed it, it gave her a fright.

She’s really great. She asks before throwing anything away because she knows what looks like trash can be a very rare and valuable piece of magical apparatus.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 17th, 2019, 3:23 pm

I’m an open book so there is no need for her to spy on anything.

Who do you think has been reading your Tamariz?

bob gill
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby bob gill » May 11th, 2019, 6:44 am

Magic publishing is a market - not a public service. You can buy a perfectly functional wrist watch for $20, an OK-looking one for $200, or a Rolex for $10,000. No-one is forcing you to buy the book, and no-one 'deserves' access to the book for chump change. I lot of people had to band together to get this product ready for the shelves. They all need some remuneration, and the publisher deserves to make a profit. The question might be: how much profit is 'acceptable'? Answer: none of your business, except whether you choose to pay to access the contents (likely to be fascinating: I haven't seen it yet but my order is in; and I had a long hard think before I pressed 'order'). Your money, your choice. It seems bizarre to this Brit bibliophile to observe debate of this non-issue in this way, particularly hosted by the nation that is at the epicentre of capitalism. If you fancy owning a Harbin book, get your $1500 ready. No? me neither.

Return to “Buzz”