Steve Dusheck Passes

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Wells

Steve Dusheck Passes

Postby Scott Wells » March 8th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I read on a Facebook post that Steve Dusheck died on the morning of March 8, 2019. Has this been verified? If so, then it is another sad loss upon another after hearing about the passing of Marshall Brodien last night.
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Tony Baronio

Re: Steve Dusheck Passes

Postby Tony Baronio » March 8th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Yes, sadly it is true. He was in the hospital back in December with pneumonia. The past few months had been very hard for him.
Steve was one of my best friends. I spoke with him for over two hours about a month ago about a variety of topics. He was always coming up with new and amazing ideas. He was a very giving and sharing individual, magician and creator. He left quite a legacy!

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » March 8th, 2019, 4:22 pm

When reading magic forums, it's pretty easy to forget how many good, humble people are among us.

He was one of them.

R.I.P., Steve

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » March 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Steve's daughter Rene just contacted me to tell me of Steve's passing. He was one of the true geniuses in the field of magic who, unfortunately, was so hurt by the pirates ripping him off, chose to back away from the general magic populace. Despite that, he continued to create a huge load of amazing magic that only his close friends knew about. This is the true price the magic world pays when we support these ripoff artists. The rest of magic will never know of half of this amazing man's creations.

And he was one of the sweetest guys you could ever know. He helped me in more ways than I could ever express. I was honored to call him my friend.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 9th, 2019, 2:15 am

Some years ago I put out a small manuscript and wanted to reference Steve's coin vanish in a folded dollar bill which had been published in one of the out of print NYMagic Symposium books. So I emailed him to ask if he could tell me where else it might be in print. He sent me his lecture video so I could see it performed and gave me permission to teach my (exceedingly minor) variation in the manuscript.

He's was one of the three names everyone knew when I was coming up in magic: Paul Harris, Nick Trost, and Steve Dusheck, and one of the nicest people I've encounter in magic.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » March 9th, 2019, 3:50 am

I e-mailed Steve in 2007 with a question. We'd never met, but he sent me a detailed and courteous reply.

I was struck by what a nice guy he was.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » March 9th, 2019, 9:08 am

What a shame. Steve was a creative force of nature. R.I.P.

Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

Postby Russ » March 9th, 2019, 10:39 am

Very Sad.
I bought the 1982 VHS lecture in the late 80's. In 2006, I found an address for Steve and wrote a letter telling him how impressive this was then but still was today. He responded back and exchanged emails. Once he knew you were legit, he allowed you in his circle and that great mind. He was generous indeed. He sold me one of his last Ringers and material from those early days. He said that he liked me and enjoyed corresponding with me. It showed because I would then start receiving stuff in the mail free of charge through these years! I had a few effects published in TLR. He reviewed them for me and would give advice. Up to a year ago or so, I was getting emails from him on his new material that he shared with this circle. He always said that his health wasn't the best. I, too, was privileged to be called a friend from only correspondence. You will be missed sir.

Russ Polizzi
Russ Polizzi

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 9th, 2019, 12:46 pm

If anyone knew Steve well enough to write an obituary for Genii, I would be glad to receive it.
Contact me at moobooks@verizon.net
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » March 9th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Back in 2002, I was looking for a replacement Wunderbar for one that I had misplaced. Looking online I found obvious unauthorized copies at various sites but found one ad for Steve Dusheck's Wunderbar at a dealer website that I was under the impression was well known and reputable.

Hank Lee's Magic Factory

I'm sure it will shock and stun everyone here that what I received was a mediocre copy of Wunderbar manufactured in India. I contacted Hank Lee's and asked why they were advertising Wunderbar using the actual image from Steve's the original packaging but supplying the fake? The reply was "because the real Wunderbar is unavailable."

I posted my plight on the old alt.magic newsgroup and one of the poster's offered to send this info to Steve. Assuming he would want to know I told him to go ahead.

The next week I got an email from Steve offering to send me a Wunderbar (insisted is a better word) at no charge. When it arrived he had included extra IT. When he replied to the email I sent thanking him, he offered to give me suggestions for my close up magic upon request. We traded a few other emails discussing magic.

And this is how he treated a complete stranger. A truly honorable gentleman. RIP

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » March 9th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, Mr. Dusheck was a favorite magician and inspiration

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » March 9th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Steve and I have corresponded regularly for years via email and the good old USPS. This is just terrible news. Such a brilliant mind…

I will truly miss him.

Tony Baronio

Postby Tony Baronio » March 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm

The funeral arrangements for Steve are as follows:

Viewing - Monday, March 11th from 6-8 pm at:
Fierro’s Funeral Home
26 W 2nd St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Funeral - Tuesday March 12th at 9:30 am:
Queen of Heaven Parish at Our Lady of Grace Church
750 North Vine St.
Hazleton, PA 18201

Curtis The Mentalist
Favorite Magician: What is this, third grade?

Postby Curtis The Mentalist » March 10th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Another one I'm sad to hear of passing, and even more regretful never got to meet in person. I remember his brilliant creations from way back in my youth. Condolences to his close friends and family.
Curtis Waltermire
Mentalist/Speaker/Actor/Army Veteran/Grandpa/Cool Dad & Above-Average Husband
https://CurtisTheMentalist.com
https://MastermindShowComedy.com

Bill Wisch

Postby Bill Wisch » March 11th, 2019, 12:12 pm

My condolences to Steve's entire family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Every glowing comment mentioned here, and everywhere, about Steve Dusheck's marvelous personality and incredible generosity is completely and absolutely true. What a wonderful guy and, if you were fortunate...cherished friend!
His magical creativity was off the charts...a virtual machine that never stopped! Great, Great, GREAT magic!!!
Also a wonderful and extremely clever performer...and demonstrator?...WOW! NOBODY ANYWHERE like him!
Steve, you will always be missed, my friend. You made us all a lot happier!!! Rest in peace. --- Bill Wisch

Trovatore

Postby Trovatore » March 11th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Back in the mid-90's (I think it was!) I purchased 'Wunderbar' from my local shop. A few years later I realized that I had misplaced the gimmick material that came with it. Steve's address was on the instructions, so I wrote him a letter (of the USPS variety) asking if I could buy more from him. He mailed a reply that included a very generous supply of the material, along with some of his tips & thinking on the effect. If I wasn't a 'fan' then, I instantly became one. I contacted him in 2010 with a question about something about something in one of his books. Again, a very courteous reply that led to a few months of correspondence re: his current projects and material. A very kind, very generous man.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 11th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Very sorry to learn of this...

Return to “Buzz”