Marshall Brodien

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
James Nelson

Marshall Brodien

Postby James Nelson » March 8th, 2019, 8:51 am

Chicago news reports Marshall Brodien passed away today at age 84.

Anthony Vinson

Re: Marshall Brodien

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 8th, 2019, 9:49 am

Aw man. He got me started in magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN1JLsrVe8

Av

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » March 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

That's a shame.
I remember being mesmerized by those TV Magic Card ads when I was 5.

What's in the water in Chicago anyway?

So much magic.....

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » March 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Oh, what a loss. I was infected with the magic virus at age 13 when I received a TV Magic set for Christmas. It's all Marshall Brodien's fault. I couldn't thank him enough.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » March 8th, 2019, 1:57 pm

I started buying mail order magic from Marshall Brodien when I was a youngster. The money I earned from my paper route helped my magical education. If you were a member of his magic club, you were able to get a 10% discount on purchases.

Gregory Schultz

Postby Gregory Schultz » March 8th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Marshall Brodien died today. Those of my generation remember him from the TV adds for TV Magic cards.1974 was the first year that I went to a magic convention. It was in Colon Michigan. The first magic star I met was Marshall Brodien. He was very nice and signed an autograph for me. I met many other legendary magicians on that trip. I annoyed them in my overly enthusiastic teenage way. All were kind to me. Magicians tend to be nice people. I went on to study magic in Colon Michigan. Through friends in Colon I met my wife Louise. She died almost a year ago. She was a local girl. My life changed forever. Many of my magic heroes have passed. I appreciate them all. They improved my life through their kindness and art.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » March 9th, 2019, 1:29 am

Gregory Schultz wrote: 1974 was the first year that I went to a magic convention. It was in Colon Michigan.
Abbott's '74 was also my first magic convention. I was 17.
Perhaps we sat next to each other at one of the shows, or maybe you were the kid who showed me Cardwarp at the diner.
Who Knows?
For sure, it was a wonderful four days!

Gregory Schultz

Postby Gregory Schultz » March 9th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Brad Jeffers I think I learned card warp a few years after that. I did help some folks with the Gene Anderson newspaper tear. Those Abbott's conventions were some of the best weeks of my life. I saw so many great acts. The greatest piece of stage magic I ever witnessed there was the great Harry Blackstone Jr. performing the floating lightbulb. The legends were such kind people to interact with. I also remember sitting with Millie Bouton and listening to her stories and asking her questions about the Blackstone show. Sigh I am getting really nostalgic. I am having a Marcel Proust madeline moment.

James Nelson

Postby James Nelson » May 19th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Everytime I seen Marshall he would invite me and my daughter to his home. We spent a good portion of the day in his basement which was an actual museum of his career and products. It was fascinating how much he had collected and was very well organized. Marshall was very kind and generous. He loaded up my daughter with posters and gifts for her collection. Marshall always took time to stop and talk where ever I seen him.

Ray J
Favorite Magician: Chris Kenner

Postby Ray J » May 20th, 2019, 8:29 am

James Nelson wrote:Everytime I seen Marshall he would invite me and my daughter to his home. We spent a good portion of the day in his basement which was an actual museum of his career and products. It was fascinating how much he had collected and was very well organized. Marshall was very kind and generous. He loaded up my daughter with posters and gifts for her collection. Marshall always took time to stop and talk where ever I seen him.

James, it is always nice to hear stories like this. I remember seeing the television ads for the TV Magic Cards and was in awe of Marshall. Finding out that he was a good man is even better.

Glad you shared this with us.

Return to “Buzz”