What Do You Think Would Do The Trick

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

What Do You Think Would Do The Trick

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 28th, 2019, 11:16 am

Imagine that you were a guest at a party and did a few close-up tricks throughout the evening for various guests, who really seemed to enjoy the magic. (For purposes of this question, it makes no difference whether you are an amateur or pro). As the party is drawing to a close, you are approached by an individual who introduces him or herself to you, stating that they heard from some of the guests that you did some wonderful magic tricks that the guests really enjoyed. This individual tells you that he/she is the owner, president or CEO of a local company and that there is going to be an upcoming one-hour cocktail party for the employees and their guests at a local restaurant. They say that maybe magic would be a nice addition to the event, and that perhaps the company may want to engage you to walk around and do some magic for the guests at the party.

They then ask you to perform "a quick trick" for them. If I had it with me, I would place the ID in their hand and ask them to name any card (or perhaps to call someone they know and ask them to name a card). Alternatively, I would have them sign a card and do just the first phase of the Ambitious Card, or do the flash cash, turning five one dollar bills into five one hundred dollar bills. If it was a lady, I would do just the first phase of the sponge balls; i.e., vanish my ball and it appears in her hand with the "ball" I gave her to hold. (again, assuming I had them with me).

What would you do?

Anthony Vinson

Re: What Do You Think Would Do The Trick

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 28th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Since I usually carry the setup with me, John Bannon's Ion Man - his version of Max Maven's Positive/Negative. (I am not and do not aspire to be a pro, but that would end with them having a business card/souvenir to take along.) Barring that, I think a brief one-coin routine.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:Since I usually carry the setup with me, John Bannon's Ion Man - his version of Max Maven's Positive/Negative. (I am not and do not aspire to be a pro, but that would end with them having a business card/souvenir to take along.) Barring that, I think a brief one-coin routine.

I am not familiar with "Ion Man," Anthony, but I am certain it's a winner since you carry it with you. Where did you learn it from? And speaking of Max, Eugene Burger made no bones about the fact that he considered "Brainwave" the greatest packet trick of the 20th century; he always carried it in his wallet and it was the one trick he would almost invariably do when someone asked to see something...

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 28th, 2019, 2:34 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I am not familiar with "Ion Man," Anthony, but I am certain it's a winner since you carry it with you. Where did you learn it from? And speaking of Max, Eugene Burger made no bones about the fact that he considered "Brainwave" the greatest packet trick of the 20th century; he always carried it in his wallet and it was the one trick he would almost invariably do when someone asked to see something...

I learned it from the John Bannon cover issue of MAGIC Magazine. Sorry, not sure which issue off the top of my head. I believe it was subsequently published in his big book, High Caliber. I, too, carry a B'Wave set with me - Never fails to kill.

I just noticed that I used the word "would" when I should have used "could", in my initial response, but cannot figure out how to edit that post. Half the time, roughly, you can send 'em home with souvenir!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 28th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Ion Man was described in MAGIC, vol. 21, no. 6, february 2012

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 28th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Milt Kort's U.F. Grant Bill Transposition. Burger was fond of this effect and figured out how to present it with the newer bills. I found an older Lincoln $5 dollar bill and use that.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 28th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Since I would have a deck with me, Card on Forehead, or perhaps The Homing Card (the to pocket trick, not that counting crap... )

It would depend on how I read the person making the request: does he need to be fooled, or laugh?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 1st, 2019, 12:19 am

Write down "cell phone" on the back of my business card, put it on the table face down, then ask him to pull five objects out of his pocket and point to two of them...

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 1st, 2019, 11:08 am

Leonard Hevia Wrote: "Milt Kort's U.F. Grant Bill Transposition. Burger was fond of this effect and figured out how to present it with the newer bills. I found an older Lincoln $5 dollar bill and use that."

Yes, very strong for a layman. I remember when I met the great Roger Klause at a mutual friend's party, and he was working the room. I wasn't familiar with the effect, and he fooled the socks off me with it.

Bill Duncan Wrote: "Since I would have a deck with me, Card on Forehead, or perhaps The Homing Card (the to pocket trick, not that counting crap... ) It would depend on how I read the person making the request: does he need to be fooled, or laugh?"

Excellent choices IMO. However, to make them laugh with the card on forehead, they must be surprised, meaning you managed to successfully get it on your forehead surreptitiously. So aren't you both making them laugh and fooling them?

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 1st, 2019, 1:02 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Write down "cell phone" on the back of my business card, put it on the table face down, then ask him to pull five objects out of his pocket and point to two of them...

Excellent choice! The PATEO principle seems underrated and underused. Powerful stuff! I particularly love Michael Weber's ploy from Life Savers that allows the spectator to decide who goes first.

Av

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 1st, 2019, 6:54 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:Write down "cell phone" on the back of my business card, put it on the table face down, then ask him to pull five objects out of his pocket and point to two of them...

Excellent choice! The PATEO principle seems underrated and underused. Powerful stuff! I particularly love Michael Weber's ploy from Life Savers that allows the spectator to decide who goes first.

Av

Sounds very intriguing. I am not familiar with it. So, you would need nothing more than a business card (or other writing surface) and a pen to do it?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 1st, 2019, 7:03 pm

I personally wouldn't use PATEO here, but look at, for example, Docc Hilford's E'voke and the work of David Berglas on equivoque.

Then repeat with a different object. The repeat is powerful if you're careful to pick different ways to eliminate from the first time.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 2nd, 2019, 10:36 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Anthony Vinson wrote:

Av

Sounds very intriguing. I am not familiar with it. So, you would need nothing more than a business card (or other writing surface) and a pen to do it?

Yes. Even though I made an Olympian leap about Jack's comment - he was referring to something else - the PATEO principle allows for the performer to create an impressive bit of predictive mindreading on-the-fly and with minimal materials. You can even do it without a written prediction. Not sure where to send you for resources... and I hesitate to go into any sort of detail here. I learned it initially from Life Savers, but there are lots of other resources out there. It's handy to know and be prepared to employ.

If you are interested, PM me and I will gladly give you the basics of the principle.

Av

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 2nd, 2019, 8:21 pm

I'd use my unpublished effect, "Credit Card To Wallet." The spectator's credit card is covered with a black pocket square and he holds it through the cloth. With one hand, I remove my (ungaffed) wallet and hold it up in plain view. With my other hand I pull the pocket square from his grip and his card vanishes. I open my wallet and his credit card is inside.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2019, 9:29 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Sounds very intriguing. I am not familiar with it. So, you would need nothing more than a business card (or other writing surface) and a pen to do it?

"PATEO" is Pick Any Two, Eliminate One. If you have a group of objects and you want to force one, Spec pics a pair, and you eliminate one of them. Then you pick a pair, and he eliminates one of them. Etc, etc. until one of the group is remaining. So long as you do the last "elminate", you can ensure that the correct object is left at the end. (So if there is an even number of objects, Spec does the first "Pick any two"; if there is an odd number, then you do the first "pick any two".)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 2nd, 2019, 9:58 pm

Thanks, Bill. It is clever.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 2nd, 2019, 10:33 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Excellent choices IMO. However, to make them laugh with the card on forehead, they must be surprised, meaning you managed to successfully get it on your forehead surreptitiously. So aren't you both making them laugh and fooling them?

No. Card on Forehead doesn't fool anyone; they know you stuck it on your head when they weren't looking. But it establishes control, and provides a credential for you as a magician, while also making you look a bit silly, so they know you don't take yourself too seriously. Which makes it a perfect opening or one off trick.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 3rd, 2019, 7:39 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Sounds very intriguing. I am not familiar with it. So, you would need nothing more than a business card (or other writing surface) and a pen to do it?

"PATEO" is Pick Any Two, Eliminate One. If you have a group of objects and you want to force one, Spec pics a pair, and you eliminate one of them. Then you pick a pair, and he eliminates one of them. Etc, etc. until one of the group is remaining. So long as you do the last "elminate", you can ensure that the correct object is left at the end. (So if there is an even number of objects, Spec does the first "Pick any two"; if there is an odd number, then you do the first "pick any two".)

I believe that the acronym stands for Point At Any Two, Eliminate One. A minor, but perhaps important distinction. My source is Ken DeCourcy's pamphlet on the subject, in which he takes credit for coming up with the name and acronym. Apparently the originator, Roy Baker hadn't provided a name when the ploy was first published.

Av

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2019, 7:53 am

I love card to forehead. I had an ongoing conspiracy with the head bartender (no pun intended) where I would indicate to him prior to having a card "selected" which card it would be. He would get that card ready out of the Bicycle Deck I had given him. After controlling spectator's card to top, I would p _ _ _ it off and hand the deck to spectator to look through it, stating that as soon as they saw their card their eyes would betray them and I would know which one it was. Effect number 1: They see that it mysteriously vanished from the deck. Effect number 2: I would call out the name of the bartender (who, at this point, was 15-20 feet away behind and at the other end of the bar) and ask him if he had any idea what happened to the spectator's card. He would turn around and start walking toward us shrugging his shoulders, with the card on his forehead. Super reactions, loads of fun, and it played big for the whole bar. Of course, at that point, it was quite easy to casually pocket the original card.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 3rd, 2019, 2:46 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:I believe that the acronym stands for Point At Any Two, Eliminate One. A minor, but perhaps important distinction. My source is Ken DeCourcy's pamphlet on the subject, in which he takes credit for coming up with the name and acronym. Apparently the originator, Roy Baker hadn't provided a name when the ploy was first published.

Always glad to know the real story. Thanks!

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 3rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Effect number 2: I would call out the name of the bartender (who, at this point, was 15-20 feet away behind and at the other end of the bar) and ask him if he had any idea what happened to the spectator's card. He would turn around and start walking toward us shrugging his shoulders, with the card on his forehead. Super reactions, loads of fun, and it played big for the whole bar. Of course, at that point, it was quite easy to casually pocket the original card.

I hope you had the card signed after that and did other tricks before giving it away. That way when the story is told and the card shown the trick becomes legendary, with a signed card.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » March 3rd, 2019, 4:03 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:Since I usually carry the setup with me, John Bannon's Ion Man - his version of Max Maven's Positive/Negative. (I am not and do not aspire to be a pro, but that would end with them having a business card/souvenir to take along.) Barring that, I think a brief one-coin routine.

I like "Fading Coin" by Tomoyuki Takahashi (Genii May 2000 page 28). Not the same trick "Ion Man", but there are similarities. If the spectator picks either the penny or the quarter I let him or her keep the coin as a souvenir of the time they imagined a coin in to existence. "Fading Coin" is something that I can always have on hand and takes up no pocket space.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2019, 5:18 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Effect number 2: I would call out the name of the bartender (who, at this point, was 15-20 feet away behind and at the other end of the bar) and ask him if he had any idea what happened to the spectator's card. He would turn around and start walking toward us shrugging his shoulders, with the card on his forehead. Super reactions, loads of fun, and it played big for the whole bar. Of course, at that point, it was quite easy to casually pocket the original card.

I hope you had the card signed after that and did other tricks before giving it away. That way when the story is told and the card shown the trick becomes legendary, with a signed card.

Absolutely! Good thinking. But instead of giving it away, the signed card usually ended up on the ceiling. When people returned, they would often proudly point out "their card" up there to friends or family, and usually ask me to get the newcomer's card(s) up there, as well. One night, one of the high roller regulars, who loves magic, came over and as he shook my hand and asked me to get his date's card up there, I could feel him placing something in my hand that was unmistakably money. Feeling kind of like a maitre D' getting a choice table for a customer, I casually put it in my pocket without looking at it, and proceeded to do card on (bartender's) forehead. Then i had her sign the card, and did a short AC routine, followed by card on the ceiling. Later, when I checked my pocket, I was totally blown away - he had given me two one hundred dollar bills!!! Boy am I glad that dang card stuck...

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

Great story Alfred! I remember reading about doing the Card on Ceiling thru the ceiling fan blades while they were revolving. Could have been Doc Eason who did this.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 3rd, 2019, 8:30 pm

Jackpot wrote:

I like "Fading Coin" by Tomoyuki Takahashi (Genii May 2000 page 28). Not the same trick "Ion Man", but there are similarities. If the spectator picks either the penny or the quarter I let him or her keep the coin as a souvenir of the time they imagined a coin in to existence. "Fading Coin" is something that I can always have on hand and takes up no pocket space.

Yes! Another great one, but only if seated at a table. Or perhaps you've figured ways around that? (If so, I would love to hear.) I like your idea of allowing the spectator to keep the coin they imagined into existence. That makes it magical.

David Parr's Proof Positive is another one that, properly performed, requires little and delivers a lot.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 3rd, 2019, 10:41 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Great story Alfred! I remember reading about doing the Card on Ceiling thru the ceiling fan blades while they were revolving. Could have been Doc Eason who did this.

Thanks Leo! Yes, I seem to have the same recollection that it was Doc Eason.

At one time, when I was really working on getting the trick down, I used to carry around a little tin with balls of magician's wax and rubber bands, and of course, my cards. I would practice everywhere - churches, vacant banquet rooms in hotels, the eaves of roofs (a pretty narrow and often sloping target), in the back of stores, even restrooms (when no one else was in there). I always thought it would be fun to see the reactions of those who came across the card(s) after I was long gone.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 3rd, 2019, 11:01 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:At one time, when I was really working on getting the trick down, I used to carry around a little tin with balls of magician's wax and rubber bands, and of course, my cards. I would practice everywhere - churches, vacant banquet rooms in hotels, the eaves of roofs (a pretty narrow and often sloping target), in the back of stores, even restrooms (when no one else was in there). I always thought it would be fun to see the reactions of those who came across the card(s) after I was long gone.

Who put those cards on the ceiling? ;)

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » March 4th, 2019, 12:58 am

Anthony Vinson wrote:Yes! Another great one, but only if seated at a table. Or perhaps you've figured ways around that? (If so, I would love to hear.) I like your idea of allowing the spectator to keep the coin they imagined into existence. That makes it magical.

In a situation where a table is unavailable I have one of the spectators hold her or his hand out palm up. I place the "quarter" near the wrist between the heal of the hand and the ball of the thumb, the "nickle" on the palm at the base of the fingers and the "penny" on finger tips of the middle and ring fingers.

For this trick working on the spectator's hand also offers certain opportunities for byplay that don't exist when using a table. Since the spectator is imagining the three coins, it's more relaxed and casual than if she or he was actually holding real coins.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 4th, 2019, 4:55 am

Jackpot wrote:
Anthony Vinson wrote:Yes! Another great one, but only if seated at a table. Or perhaps you've figured ways around that? (If so, I would love to hear.) I like your idea of allowing the spectator to keep the coin they imagined into existence. That makes it magical.

In a situation where a table is unavailable I have one of the spectators hold her or his hand out palm up. I place the "quarter" near the wrist between the heal of the hand and the ball of the thumb, the "nickle" on the palm at the base of the fingers and the "penny" on finger tips of the middle and ring fingers.

For this trick working on the spectator's hand also offers certain opportunities for byplay that don't exist when using a table. Since the spectator is imagining the three coins, it's more relaxed and casual than if she or he was actually holding real coins.

Nice. So you substitute any necessary lapping with artful ditching on the offbeat, I take it? Thanks for sharing!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 4th, 2019, 2:59 pm

AV Wrote: "David Parr's Proof Positive is another one that, properly performed, requires little and delivers a lot."

For sure. The outcome that occurred in the demo video I saw of David performing the effect is the most optimal, where the spectator chose the coin he had under his hand. That is a 10 out of 10 strength-wise. The other outcomes are still relatively strong, just not as strong. However, as Anthony noted, the "properly performed" is the key if that optimal outcome does not occur, which, obviously, it will not the majority of the time. And a huge component of the properly performed is the wording that is used and what is then done if the spectator goes a different route than what is shown in the demo.

I learned the basic effect many years ago from a very clever magician friend, and we worked on the presentation and psychology of it together. In strolling situations, with no table available, i have the "prediction coin" in my closed hand in, let's just say, a position that provides flexibility. I don't use the dime because my hands are large and it's awkward, and also not as visible when reveal-time comes. There are quite a few people of all ages who do not see well. I also present it as the three coins are invisible and are in the air, but Jackpot's idea of using their hand for the "coins" is excellent. In any event, it is one sweet trick, which could genuinely qualify as a piece of mentalism, that plays big - and what could pack smaller?

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » March 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:Nice. So you substitute any necessary lapping with artful ditching on the offbeat, I take it? Thanks for sharing!

No lapping is necessary. The invisible coins which were not selected are picked up one at a time and put back in my pocket(s). The first invisible coin I pick up is the finger palmed coin not chosen by the spectator. The next is the is the invisible nickel if it was not chosen. This provides me with ample opportunity to display my hand empty in a casual way. Now the empty hand picks up the invisible selection and the quarter or penny appear. In my experience the quarter is selected most often, next the penny, and least of all the nickel.

The appearance of the coin selected by the spectator is very magical. It's much stronger than the out which has to be used for the nickel. The penny and quarter involve the spectator in a positive way. The nickel will come across as "look what I can do and you can't do" if you aren't careful.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm

I would also consider the Sachs dice routine as performed by James Lewis. It's a killer and all you require are two standard dice in your pocket. A prop everybody instantly recognizes.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 5th, 2019, 9:31 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:I would also consider the Sachs dice routine as performed by James Lewis. It's a killer and all you require are two standard dice in your pocket. A prop everybody instantly recognizes.

Again, an item that packs small and plays BIG! :o I've always liked James Lewis; he has nice creative presentations and clean magic.

I have heard that Daryl has a very nice routine with this, and particularly a good ending. Also have heard good things about Bob Sheets' version. In any event, the Daryl routine is available as a download from L&L for a kind $4.99. (I think it may also be on one of his Fooler Dooler DVDs.) Anyhow, sounds like a good deal to me. Here''s the link case you're interested, Leo.
https://llepub.com/index.php?main_page= ... cts_id=675

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » March 5th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I'm sure I'm far from alone in having learned Bruce Elliot's Dr. Sack's routine from Classic Secrets of Magic. That was long ago and I'm sure I haven't done it in forty years or more. However, a few years back I had the pleasure of Bob Sheets showing me how it should be done, including a unique turnover move I wish I could remember but I was laughing too hard to remember much at all. All of that while we walked along the street. Amazing (and very funny).

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 5th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Daniel Z wrote:I'm sure I'm far from alone in having learned Bruce Elliot's Dr. Sack's routine from Classic Secrets of Magic. That was long ago and I'm sure I haven't done it in forty years or more. However, a few years back I had the pleasure of Bob Sheets showing me how it should be done, including a unique turnover move I wish I could remember but I was laughing too hard to remember much at all. All of that while we walked along the street. Amazing (and very funny).

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5901

Bob's handing of the turnover allows him to turn this into a parlour effect. Now, everyone move along. Nothing to see here....nothing to see here.... ;)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 5th, 2019, 10:18 pm

It's The Rules is an awesome impromptu routine and everyone should learn it. But if I'm going to carry dice around with me, I'll either have Sol Stone's dice, or better yet Crooked by Ronnie Ramin. Ronnie's set is designed so you can hand out the dice at the end, and Sol's gets the dirty die out of play before anyone questions it.

You can get Sol's dice from Meid Yedid at MyMagic.com. Finding Crooked is harder, but worth the effort.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 6th, 2019, 12:36 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I have heard that Daryl has a very nice routine with this, and particularly a good ending. Also have heard good things about Bob Sheets' version. In any event, the Daryl routine is available as a download from L&L for a kind $4.99. (I think it may also be on one of his Fooler Dooler DVDs.) Anyhow, sounds like a good deal to me. Here''s the link case you're interested, Leo.
https://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=675

Thanks Alfred but I'm already locked into the Lewis routine. Others have noted the Sol routine and others, and while I'm sure they're good, there's something to be said for handing out the dice at the end without a switch.

jimb_85
Favorite Magician: Penn & Teller

Postby jimb_85 » April 30th, 2019, 3:51 am

If I was familiar with some of the books available at the host's house, I would do a simple book test (possibly using Brian Brushwood's technique to get a specific page and word).

Return to “Close-Up Magic”