A Magic Mount Rushmore?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

A Magic Mount Rushmore?

Postby Zig Zagger » February 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Imagine a millionaire would donate a mountain and pay a sculptor to chisel some famous faces of past masters out of the stone for a magicians’ version of Mount Rushmore...

Which four or five heads of the stellar exponents of our art would you like to see up there preserved in stone? And why?

I guess my top list for advancing and perfecting the art of magic would carry the names of Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser, Dai Vernon, Fred Kaps, and Juan Tamariz (Plug: Get The Magic Rainbow. NOW!!!)

For a list of German magic masters of the 20th century who made an impact, I would likely vote for Marvelli, Punx, Kalanag (the magician, not the man), and Siegfried & Roy.

America's top TV magicians would probably be Mark Wilson, Doug Henning, David Copperfield, and David Blaine, etcetera.

What would be your choices?
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

erdnasephile

Re: A Magic Mount Rushmore?

Postby erdnasephile » February 28th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Didn't Vanish magazine already decide this? ;)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 28th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I believe a billionaire and about 20 years would be required.

It took 14 years to carve Mt. Rushmore.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 28th, 2019, 9:11 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Didn't Vanish magazine already decide this? ;)

Good one, yes, the decision has been made. He was the only one to accept.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 1st, 2019, 7:04 am

Since the OP stipulated great magicians of the past for the Magical Mt. Rushmore, all four of my choices are masters who have passed into the great magical beyond:

H o u d i n i H e r r m a n n t h e G r e a t T h u r s t o n B l a c k s t o n e (S e n i o r)

A few interesting facts: Both Houdini and Thurston billed themselves as "The King of Cards." Thurston had an unhappy childhood and ran away to the circus when he was 8 years old. Ultimately, his traveling show needed 8 train cars to transport it.

Both the father (Samuel) and brother (Carl) of Herrmann the Great (Alexander Hermann) were incredible, highly-sought-after magicians who performed professionally. Samuel was also a physician in Paris. When Carl's younger brother, Alexander, was 8 years old, Carl 'kidnapped' Alexander from their home in Paris, and took him to Saint Petersburg, Russia to teach him the art of magic. While there, Carl took his younger brother with him on a tour of multiple countries that started in Russia. Carl, himself, dropped out of medical school to pursue magic. Eventually, they both had their own huge touring shows. All three Herrmanns were exceptionally accomplished in sleight of hand, the father having passed his knowledge and skill to his sons. Also, as mentioned recently on another thread, Alexander Herrmann's wife, Adelaide, was a successful magician in her own right. Quite a magical family, wouldn't you say?

Harry Blackstone Sr. (birth name: Henry Boughton) started his career in his teens. He remained silent during most of his stage show, and performed to music performed live by an orchestra. He devoted a lot of time and energy to entertaining the allied troops during World War II.

There are certainly others who deserve to be enshrined, but those are the four who first came to mind for me...

Smurf

Postby Smurf » March 1st, 2019, 10:12 am

Although I suppose even magicians would have trouble recognizing the face, I would nominate Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin. I will consider him a stage performer. I think for close-up I would choose Dai Vernon. While Houdini was a stage performer, he will make it as an escape artist and spiritual debunker. Then perhaps Tommy Wonder as parlor performer.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » March 1st, 2019, 4:27 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I believe a billionaire and about 20 years would be required.

It took 14 years to carve Mt. Rushmore.

The Chief Genii as book-keeper, not as imagineer... That makes me sad. :(
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » March 1st, 2019, 4:42 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Didn't Vanish magazine already decide this? ;)

Haha. :D
No, it didn't. Please note I was referring to masters advancing and perfecting the art of magic, not to mindless Merlini-laden braggadocios.

So please keep some worthwhile names coming!

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”