The Return of Stephen Hobbs!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Kent Gunn

Re: The Return of Stephen Hobbs!

Postby Kent Gunn » February 20th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What's an "iso"?

a .iso file extension, like the .exe extension, refers to a type of computer file.

It refers to a way of storing all the necessary information to recreate all the files and file structures needed on a piece of optical,
( CD/DVD/Blu-ray ) media within a single file.

It's a computer geek thing. ISO images are often used to copy video disks and transfer the information easily, over the internet, as a single file.

KG

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 20th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » February 21st, 2019, 1:08 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:What's an "iso"?

I know this was answered, but I doubt it was clear why I find this important. An iso is an image of
a dvd and can be played as a virtual dvd by most programs like VLC just like a physical DVD. Over a network you can use Kodi to play the file.

This way, you have full access to the DVD menu, which makes DVDs like these much easier to navigate than single file formats like an MP4.

When I buy a DVD I generally create an iso and put it on my local server. The original DVD is put away for backup. I throw away the packaging and can store a lot in a very small space.

If the DVD menu is not particularly important I convert to a single stream, as it is much smaller. Again, I store the original DVD. I’ve been burnt too many times by failed web sites to depend on them in the future.

The iso requires a virtually flawless DVD, as it is capturing everything. This is seldom true for computer burnt DVDs.
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » February 21st, 2019, 8:17 am

Steve,

Your knowledge of the subject exceeds mine. My exposure to and use of computers beyond surfing the occasional magic board has waned dramatically the last few years.

Using an ISO format to transfer magic videos to a server is an awfully clever application.

I learned stuff today. Thanks!

KG

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 21st, 2019, 10:20 am

Kent Gunn wrote:..
Using an ISO format to transfer magic videos to a server is an awfully clever application.

KG

Yeah, it's super easy to set up. Most of my videos are films, tv or Magic lectures so I'm not normally hung up too much on menu navigation. Generally the navigation on the free solutions (Kodi, Plex, etc.) are so good that I don't bother.

ISOs often tend to be more unwieldy/large, so unless menu navigation is necessary, I just do a straight rip from the DVD, name it, upload it to the server and go.

Return to “Buzz”