The Big Book of Rising Cards by Claude Klingsor

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

The Big Book of Rising Cards by Claude Klingsor

Postby Tom Frame » November 24th, 2010, 3:27 pm

The Big Book of Rising Cards (PDF) by Claude Klingsor $39.50
209 pages, 234 illustrations, 4 photos
Available at: http://www.lybrary.com/book-rising-cards-p-86876.html

The Rising Cards is one of the most amazing effects that can be performed with the pasteboards. It embodies the best attributes of magical entertainment. The plot is straightforward; it involves audience participation; and the effect is mystifying and visually stunning.

Through a Freudian lens, the effects phallic symbolism is attractive to both men and women, for different, though complementary reasons. The Rising Cards is concupiscent conjuring for manly men and welcoming women.

In The Big Book of Rising Cards, Claude Klingsor has compiled 200 methods for performing this classic effect. While not comprehensive in scope, this book contains the largest collection of Rising Cards material ever assembled under one roof.

The author is French and his words have been translated to English by Rmi Demaerel. The resultant text occasionally lacks fluency, but Adrien Amilhats illustrations save the day. These computer rendered illustrations are well composed, beautiful and provide an essential aid to understanding the methods.

By clicking on the link above, you can read Chris Wasshubers developmental history of the book, check out the Table of Contents and view an example of the groovy illustrations. Please do so right now. Ill wait.

Mr. Klingsor informs us that the Rising Cards effect was first mentioned by Thomas Garzonus in La Piazza Universale di tutti le professioni in 1626. Mr. Garzonus reported that Abraham Colorni made a mentally selected card rise out of the pack. Mr. Garzonus did not describe the method.

The first methodological description appeared in Hocus Pocus Junior in 1634. The reader learned how to make a card rise from a deck with aid of a black thread, a hair or a spring.

Since then, many of magics major players have participated in a veritable pasteboard uprising, as theyve toiled and tinkered with many methods for producing this effect.

Within these pages youll be treated to the creations of Al Baker, David Bamberg, Sam Berland, J.B. Bobo, Cardini, Beautier DeKolta, Ted DeLand, Ottokar Fischer, Will Goldston, Richard Himber, Louis Histed, Sam Horowitz, Bill McComb, Harlan Tarbell, Floyd Thayer and Howard Thurston.

The books first five chapters (166 pages) were written in 1954 and contain methods that were available to the author at that time.

In the first three chapters, Mr. Klingsor discusses the effects history; shares his philosophy regarding its performance; and describes his system for classifying the various methods.

The first 42 pages of Chapter Four contain methods in which the performers finger(s) provide the sole motive force. Eighteen methods are described. If youre a student of the Rising Cards, youre probably already familiar with these methods.

The remainder of that chapter and the next 124 pages are devoted to descriptions of methods in which items other than the performers finger(s) propel the cards skyward. These include threads, hairs, wires, pikes, rods, adhesive patches, rubber patches, wands, magnets, rollers and pulleys.

The sources of the motive force include gravity, water, sand, weights, springs, rubber bands, levers, reels, pendulums, music box movements, clock movements, electric motors and off-stage assistants.

The various mechanisms employ all manner of timers, radio transmitters, intervalometers, potentiometers and even an optical scanner.

These methods are best suited for stand-up or stage performances. Many of the methods rely upon the use of a houlette. I dont like houlettes because, like much magical apparatus, they serve no function in the real world and appear to be mere magic props. Despite not liking them, Im impressed by the creativity that goes into rigging them.

Beginning with Chapter Six, the remainder of the book was written in 2005. The material consists of other methods that Mr. Klingsor has accumulated since 1954.

He describes the I.T.R., Mesikas Spider Pen and Kennedys Stealth Retractor. I hope that he received the creators permission to tip their work.

The Devano deck is explained, as are its offspring, the A.M.Y. and Arne decks. I bought my A.M.Y. deck in the late 70s and it still works like a charm. It remains my favorite mechanized method for performing the Rising Cards.

The author sings the praises of Dr. Hookers Rising Cards and, like most of us, continues to scratch his head regarding its methodology.

If you need to sneakily switch in a gaffed deck, several deck switching contraptions are described.

Unfortunately, Mr. Klingsor doesnt mention a number of very clever, newer methods. He doesnt discuss elastic loops. Maybe he hasnt seen them. After all, they are invisible.

I would have liked to have seen references to Derek Dingles Super Card Rise, Jeff McBrides Kundalini Rising and Gary Plants Impossible Close Up Rising Cards, which is my favorite examinable version. Perhaps the author didnt receive permission to include them.

Methods that appeared after this book was written include Tony Millers simple, yet delicious Mofo and the best version extant, Angelo Carbones Notion of Motion.

The methods described in this book range from excellent to laughable, with the majority falling under the category of interesting. There are simple, practical methods and complex, impractical methods that only Rube Goldberg would appreciate.

Unless you have the passion and aptitude for building mechanical gimcracks, I doubt that youll be adding any of these effects to your repertoire. But if youre a fan of the Rising Cards, that limitation shouldnt diminish your enjoyment of this material. Mr. Klingsor has compiled a fascinating, stimulating book of significant historical value. So rise to the occasion and check it out.

Recommended

Chas Nigh

Re: The Big Book of Rising Cards by Claude Klingsor

Postby Chas Nigh » February 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Will Ayling also wrote a small treatise on the Rising Cards. He includes some very modern methods.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I don't have the book, but if it contains the Billy McComb method that I'm familiar with (any card rises, no external hookups, instant reset, no angles), then that's the price of the book.

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » February 11th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Chas Nigh wrote:You may not know it, but the thing also contains the same method that Ted Baxter uses in his commercial version.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2019, 9:48 pm

The Sybil, or Upton, Rising Cards.
And it's Tom Baxter.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 11th, 2019, 11:36 pm

I would love to see Ted Baxter do the Rising Cards. Or any other magic effect.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Yes! What I would really love to see is the reaction shots of Mary, Murray, and Lou watching from the bullpen.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I'm trying to locate the write-up that I read for Billy McComb's rising cards. It could have been The Gen, Abra, Repro or some other British magazine, but I can't find it, though I can clearly remember the illustration.

Billy's method is damn clever. First, a very small hole is drilled right through a deck of cards at one end.

Next, a thin thread is fed through the hole and all the way through the deck. It is then tied so the thread forms a circle running through the deck.

When a card is selected, it is reversed end for end at its position.

To make it rise, pull on the loop.

I had the opportunity to discuss this with Billy when he was alive and he gave me many tips on how to work it. Foolishly, I didn't write them down and I don't remember a one.

Any reference would be most appreciated.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 13th, 2019, 2:07 pm

It may have been in the Magigram, but I don't have access to a file of that magazine. Apparently, Billy McComb wrote a column in there.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 14th, 2019, 11:32 am

Bob, I had a look at Magigram in the Castle library yesterday. Went over a half-dozen of Billy's columns, but none of them had any tricks at all. That doesn't seem to be that column was about. Also it's not in any of Billy's books, and it wasn't in the Potter index either.

If you have any other suggestions, I'll be back next week.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 14th, 2019, 11:44 am

Thank you, Pete. I'm going to make up a deck and play around with it.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 14th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Bob, I looked through a few more issues than Pete with the same result, his columns seemed to be primarily anecdotal. Thanks for giving me impetus to look through them though. If you discount for the sexist and occasionally racist bits of 50 years ago there is some real gold.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Hey Bob,

The method you mentioned sounds like a tweak to the David Britland approach to the rising cards plot (using elastic loops).

https://www.lybrary.com/angel-card-rise-plus-p-33329.html

https://www.lybrary.com/card-kinetics-p-245836.html

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 14th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 14th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive also points to a McComb routine called "Again They Rise" in Gene Anderson's Newspaper Magic (p 81). Description of that one: "Deck of cards dropped into newspaper, three selections rise out of newspaper"

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 14th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Hey guys--thank you for the effort. None of those references score. If you read my description again it refers to a hole in one end of the deck with a circle of thread going through it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 14th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Hi Bob, Guessing a small diameter hole about a half inch from the end, dead center and loop made from thread about two feet long? That way you have a little room to turn the card around and catch the loop on a button. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 15th, 2019, 7:57 am

Correct.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » March 2nd, 2019, 1:49 am

Hi guys.
I have posted this question a couple of times but never got a good answer.
I am building a rising card system I hope to sell.
This question is seeking what the magic community would think of this idea.
In theory it is not innovative. However, it is intended to be stable and very useable.
I have had a couple of Devano decks. One pin and one goo. In the past I have performed it with great effect. But I desire something less touchy and more predictable.
Developments in computers have come a long way so the idea is to use a computer in a deck of cards. Details:

The gimmick is presently 12 cards thick.
Right now I am planning on using one motor.
The system uses an SD data card that is inserted into a slot on a computer.
A program on that card executes and displays a graph which controls the motor.
The card is unplugged from the PC computer and plugged into the deck.
Using the computer and the microcontroller in the deck enables precise control of the cards involved. Any number of cards can be used and up speed would be under total control. I am avoiding using any kind of radio control as that can create trouble. There would be a gravity switch in the deck so the deck is normally off. Turn it over and the program begins. I have been researching this now for several months. I have run the motor full speed and it sounds like a mosquito near your ear. In use it will not run fast and should be very quiet. It would work in a poker deck and with jumbo cards. Power would be supplied by a coin battery.

I am looking for encouragement. The last time I posted this someplace all I got was, “Why don’t you do this and this?” I am not after ideas. The goal is to produce an industrial grade hardware device that guys that work would love to use.

I would also like to know it this has already been done. I have searched and not found a product as extensive as this.

Thanks in advance
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 2nd, 2019, 2:05 am

That sounds great, Al. I think a 12-card-thick, electric, fully programmable rising card gimmick would be a big hit.

Can you program it to do a haunted deck type effect? That would be pretty cool if you had one gimmick that could do either trick.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » March 2nd, 2019, 5:38 am

Thanks for your reply.
Nope, not as things stand now.
As it is the best could be the deck is set on the table and it cuts itself to the chosen card.
However, the mechanism could be modified to do rising and haunted.
It would be cool.
Three cards selected and inserted into the deck. Like in the normal routine.
Then drop it to the table top and the haunted thing happens.
Someone must have done this by now.
Al

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » March 2nd, 2019, 5:50 am

Oh!
In their hand.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 2nd, 2019, 8:58 am

Brilliant! I wholeheartedly encourage this. And when it comes to the Rising Cards (arguably the greatest effect in card magic), stability and usability are of paramount importance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2019, 1:23 pm

Al, the closest thing to what you're talking about are the old windup decks, or the deck with the reel inside for the Haunted Pack. Jeff Sheridan used to do the latter and it looked great (he did it on the street).

I don't believe anyone is selling or using anything like you are building.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » March 2nd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Al Schneider wrote: ....I am building a rising card system I hope to sell.
I am looking for encouragement ....to produce an industrial grade hardware device that guys that work would love to use.

I would also like to know it this has already been done. I have searched and not found a product as extensive as this.

Hi Al,

This sounds fantastic and would be a real advancement using 21cc technology. I am unaware of a product that fulfills the parameters you've outlined. I would be very interested in this. (Where do I sign up?)

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » March 2nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

Well, I am not real fast with all this.
At 76 I am constantly telling myself to take it easy.
I am switching to working on the haunted concept.
There is a lot of research to do.
The final product must be durable.
Also I must select materials that will not disappear from the market.
Then, I must make it easy to assemble.
I am planning on making a plastic molded core so I can just plug parts into it.
Also it must be designed so the end user can repair it when it breaks down.
Sorry to push all these details on you guys.
The concept is not that really advanced from what has gone before.
The real advantage is the computer system has a clock so you can program the entire presentation as desired.

I like tricks that are somewhat self contained. This haunted idea fits this goal very well. It all fits in a card box. And can be done without a table. Pull it out, have cards selected, drop the deck in someone's hand, and everyone is amazed.

My goal is to make one and send it to Pete for instigating the haunted idea.

And please don't forget what this thread is about. Maybe some ideas in the book may be better the stuff from the computer age.

Al

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 3rd, 2019, 2:39 am

I accept! But make two—keep one for yourself.

Hannes Freytag

Postby Hannes Freytag » March 3rd, 2019, 4:50 am

This would be great. There are some solutions on the market but they have all the problem of being noisy. It would be great to have a gimmick like you mentioned.
Hannes

Brett McCarron
Favorite Magician: Robert A. Nelson

Postby Brett McCarron » February 17th, 2020, 9:45 am

Late to the party (story of my life).

Tom, thank you for the insightful review. I've had the hard copy (large format paperback, also available through Lybrary.com) since ~2015 and haven't found time to actually *read* it all the way through. Now I will make the time to do so. Thanks again.

Brett
Hi, I'm B.W. McCarron, author of Kara's Crystal Visions; Clearly Mental; Seers, Psychics, Sinners and Salesmen; The Gambling Magician, etc.

Stephen Burton

Postby Stephen Burton » February 17th, 2020, 3:34 pm

As an addendum to this thread, The Rising Card does not appear in the first edition (1634) of Hocus Pocus Junior, The Art of Legerdemain Discovered. An early variant does appear in Henry Dean's Whole Art of Legerdemain or Hocus Pocus in Perfection. Although even that description (1795, 11th edition), does not have the waxed card rising from the pack but instead jumping from the deck after being spread on the table.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 17th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Al Schneider wrote:I am building a rising card system I hope to sell.
Al, are you still working on this?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Al had heart surgery last year and is still recovering.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”