Obituary for Denny Haney

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dave Dorsett

Denny Haney is seriously ill

Postby Dave Dorsett » December 22nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

Damn it...

Dennis Haney, national magic treasure, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. A GoFundMe page has been set up. Please consider contributing if you're able.

Our company got lots of support and good information from Denny with no regard to what he might get out of it. I hope this effort is helpful to him...

https://www.gofundme.com/denney-haney-m ... kJiEyrvYYQ
Dave
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering

Evan Shuster

Re: Denny Haney is seriously ill

Postby Evan Shuster » December 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

This makes me sad, beyond belief. Denny has been such a kind and informative treasure chest of information for me for a number of years, not to mention a great magic dealer to purchase from.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 22nd, 2018, 10:29 pm

And a hell of a magician and entertainer -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aUhDAqU_zw

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » December 25th, 2018, 3:27 pm

We had a nice chat at a MAES Convention a few years ago that was recorded and posted to YouTube. I have hosted a dozen of these talk shows with a variety of performers (like Ali Bomgo, Bud Dietrich, John Calvert and so many others) at Magic conventions over the years but this is the only one that has been recorded.

Just follow this link: https://www.themagicwordpodcast.com/sco ... m-maes-201
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 26th, 2018, 5:33 pm

I'm going to give this thread a bump. If you haven't yet, you may wish to please consider giving Denny a hand with a real tough situation if you are able to do so:

https://www.gofundme.com/denney-haney-m ... your-magic

Although I will likely never meet him face to face, I feel like I owe him a lot from what he's shared through his writings and interviews over the years.

To paraphrase what Harry Lorayne likes to say: "Let's throw the bouquets while he's still around to smell them!" ;)

Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Obituary for Denny Haney

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2019, 2:38 pm

News just appeared on Facebook that Denny Haney, of Denny and Lee, has sadly died.
I need someone who knew Denny to write a 500 word obit for Genii in the next few days.
Any takers?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Obituary for Denny Haney

Postby Matthew Field » January 23rd, 2019, 2:58 pm

Don't know enough to do an obit, but Denny was one of my favorite performers and favorite people in magic. He will be sorely missed.

Doug Clark

Postby Doug Clark » January 23rd, 2019, 3:56 pm

I received a message earlier today from Denny & Lee's Magic Studio reporting that Denny Haney passed away on Tuesday, January 22. This is very sad news indeed.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » January 23rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

It's true, Denny is gone.

(I wrote the bio of Denny in his website; it's the full text of a cover story I wrote on him for the Baltimore City Paper in 1997.)

From the store (most likely written by his daughter, Dawn Campbell):

Friends of the Magic Community,

It is with heavy hearts that we must announce the passing of one of the greatest contributors to our art. Last night, Denny Haney passed peacefully in his sleep after a brief battle with cancer.

Denny was a proud American and a Vietnam Veteran having served four tours of duty stationed near the mountains in Pleiku. Upon his return to the US, after serving his country, he began his career as a professional magician. All through the 1980's and early 90’s he was a very successful corporate entertainer.

He wanted to give back to the magic community so he took the money he earned on the road, and opened up a studio where magicians could come and learn, practice their craft, rehearse and exchange ideas.

As many of you know, his daughter Dawn has been running the shop during his illness. We kindly ask that you respect his family's privacy at this time and refrain from calling. We will continue to process orders in a few days. We will be updating with more information about Memorial Services as they become available.

Thank you,

The Denny & Lee Magic Studio

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » January 23rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:News just appeared on Facebook that Denny Haney, of Denny and Lee, has sadly died.
I need someone who knew Denny to write a 500 word obit for Genii in the next few days.
Any takers?

Richard, I'll do it.

brian :|

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 23rd, 2019, 6:17 pm

Great: email me at moobooks@verizon.net for details.
Many thanks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 23rd, 2019, 7:11 pm

Denny's one hour show is one of the finest of its type I've seen. A masterclass in how to present illusions without posing and make them entertaining. It will give you an idea of how the old-timers toured from town to town with a small/medium sized show where almost everything fitted in the sub trunk, and yet could fill a theatre.

I wish that modern illusionists would watch this DVD of his show over and over and learn that there is more to illusion than an expensive prop that has to be performed in less than two-and-a-half minutes.

http://dennymagic.com/store/denny-and-l ... e-dvd.html

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 23rd, 2019, 8:16 pm

I really admired him, and I'll miss him. He was so excited when I bought Tarbell 6 from him--I think I'll work up a trick out of there as a tribute.

Thanks for everything, Mr. Haney!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 23rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

About 15 years ago I had a business trip to Washington DC. Somehow I found out that Jim Krenz had a lecture at Denny & Lee's in Baltimore. I had a car and nothing to do that evening, so I got a map and took off. I got there maybe 45 minutes early, so I just looked around the shop for a while. I was standing there looking at books, and something rubbed against my ankle. I looked down and a pig was snuffling me! That was my introduction to Denny & Lee's, and to Baby. (And Jim did a fine lecture).

Several times over the next few years, I had other opportunities to see lectures there (Aaron Fisher, Jon Allen, Curtis Kam), and it was there that I first got to meet Howie Schwarzman. I bought my set of NY Magic Symposium books there, and I'll always know that they came from Denny's because they reek of cigarette smoke, like everything else I ever bought there. Denny was a great shop owner, with good advice (including, on occasion, "Don't buy that -- it's no good", losing a sale.) I'm sad to hear he's passed.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 23rd, 2019, 9:07 pm

Picked up a set of the Johnny Thompson books from his shop last year. It was a bit cheaper at the Frozen Bird but I wanted to give him my business. In hindsight I'm glad I did. It took about a year for the cigarette smoke odor to dissipate from the Mullica wallet I bought from him many years ago.

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » January 24th, 2019, 9:10 am

I am so blessed to have been able to meet Denny in person - first at his older shop in Maryland on South Marlyn Avenue. It was small and cramped, but filled to the brim with magic books and effects. And of course, Baby the pig was always around. Denny was very helpful to the serious magician, whether pro or amateur, and he would point you in the right direction for quality magic. I used to travel a lot from NJ to DC, and would try and stop in at Denny's shop whenever I could. His move to the larger shop was great, but sadly my travel slowed down a lot and I didn't make it to that store very often. Denny will be greatly missed.

Doug Atkinson
http://www.magicref.net

Dave Dorsett

Postby Dave Dorsett » January 24th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Denny was one of the people I was most looking forward to working with again after my retirement plans kicked in and I went back to building magic later this year. His business advice over the years was worth more than anything I ever got from MBAs, small business advisors or municipal employees. He had no reason to help us and, believe me, a lot of people who were in that position exercised the option not to. Not Denny. The only drawback was, you couldn't get in touch with him when time was short because you were going to be tied up for a while... not just taking an order, getting a tip on how to improve a prop or how he had performed something at (insert important venue here) but actually having a chat with a friend.

I'm sorry I won't have that opportunity again. Recquiescat en pace, Denny... keep 'em laughing.
Dave
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering

Eric Tyler Anderson
Favorite Magician: Tamariz and Del Ray

Postby Eric Tyler Anderson » January 28th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Whenever I knew I would be near his shop I would arrange my schedule to make sure I could stop by and chat with Denny. He was always entertaining and had great advice. Stopping by meant me spending the day in the shop. I loved every second of it.

I loved his stories about working with magicians like Del and all the other performers he shared the stage with.

One day I walked into the shop racking my brain trying to figure out how to customize something unique for a repeat client. I mentioned it to Denny and without hesitation he told me EXACTLY what to do. I did and the audience LOVED it and the client was stoked.

Denny also sat me down and gave me a private lesson on Malini’s Egg Bag. ALL the details, touches and the stuff nobody talks about. I’m so glad he taught me this wonderful piece of magic.

I hate I will not be able to have those moments with Denny again, I’m thankful I have the memories.

Denny was a true MASTER.

Thank you, Denny.

Eric
Eric Anderson
The Magician with a Message

https://www.EricTylerAnderson.com

Return to “Buzz”