Most unusual effect you’ve ever seen

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Conrejour
Favorite Magician: Chan Canasta

Most unusual effect you’ve ever seen

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 7:01 am

Hello everyone I’m new here and recently got thinking about the most unusual but brilliant effect I’ve ever seen , I’d like to hear similar stories if possible .

Many years ago at a convention Chris Kenner was giving a lecture and at the time had quiet a name for rubber band magic , he was selling a booklet of three effects ,”Crazy mans handcuffs “ , “linking rubber bands “ and the most unusual but also brilliant “Boomerang rubber band “ I asked him had he a booklet of the three effects we went out to his car and he found one much to my delight .

Back in the hotel he gave me a demonstration of the boomerang band , he stretched the band between his fingers tossed it fifteeen feet across the room and it landed hit the floor and came rolling back at speed as it hit the floor and the effect was astonishing , he said spectators never forget this effect he’s right I used to do it a lot and never seem a fellow magician do it making it to me a most unusual effect .

The trick was first printed up in Magicana a long time ago by Charlie Miller and allegedly was a circus juggling stunt , can you top this for an unusual showstopper?
There is nothing new in magic only new magicians

http://dermotbrennanartist.ie/index.html

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Most unusual effect you’ve ever seen

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 7th, 2019, 10:00 am

I would have to say it was my own torn and restored New York City Yellow pages...

OK, seriously, for me it was witnessing Johnny Ace Palmer's production of 3 baby chicks at the denouement of his cups and balls, and as if that weren't enough, before the shock could begin to wear off, he immediately followed up by producing a gigantic bird - looked to be a raven. Now, I realize that could never compete with a rubber band trick, but still...

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » January 7th, 2019, 10:14 am

"Many years ago at a convention Chris Kenner was giving a lecture and at the time had quiet a name for rubber band magic , he was selling a booklet of three effects ,”Crazy mans handcuffs “ , “linking rubber bands “ and the most unusual but also brilliant “Boomerang rubber band “

Are you sure that was Chris Kenner, sounds more like Dan Harlan?

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 11:08 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I would have to say it was my own torn and restored New York City Yellow pages...

OK, seriously, for me it was witnessing Johnny Ace Palmer's production of 3 baby chicks at the denouement of his cups and balls, and as if that weren't enough, before the shock could begin to wear off, he immediately followed up by producing a gigantic bird - looked to be a raven. Now, I realize that could never compete with a rubber band trick, but still...

That’s torn and restored sounds interesting and unusual .Johhnys Ace Palmers effect sounds awesome and yes how could it even come close to a rubberband effect ;)

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 11:11 am

jason156 wrote:"Many years ago at a convention Chris Kenner was giving a lecture and at the time had quiet a name for rubber band magic , he was selling a booklet of three effects ,”Crazy mans handcuffs “ , “linking rubber bands “ and the most unusual but also brilliant “Boomerang rubber band “

Are you sure that was Chris Kenner, sounds more like Dan Harlan?

It was indeed Chris Kenner the booklet I bought from him was called “ Band across the globe “

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 7th, 2019, 11:36 am

I have the Kenner booklet also. I remember I didn't have much success with the effect.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 7th, 2019, 11:40 am

Wasn't Weber the first person to demonstrate a practical solution to the boomerang band effect? (i.e., I thought the method published in Magicana was non-viable, and Weber figured out a way to actually do it). Possible source: An Omni magazine profile of Weber.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2019, 11:42 am

One night at the local club meeting, at performance time several regulars did some card tricks, which was pretty routine. Then a guy stood up and did "Blockhead". Nothing could follow that.

(He also brought a real shrunken head to a meeting once. Again, show stopper.)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 7th, 2019, 11:52 am

The booklet in question was co-written by Chris Kenner and Dan Garrett. It is not clear the effect was created by either of them, as it is reputed to be a stunt that has been around for ages.

Dan Harlan subsequently taught the effect on one of the videos in his rubber band trilogy.

Although I would defer to the Chief Genii on this, I understand through hearsay, that Charlie Miller created quite a buzz with the effect many years ago in Genii Magazine.

Conrejour, I truly wish that I could do a torn and restored with the New York City Yellow Pages, but I was just joking about that.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2019, 11:53 am

erdnasephile wrote:Wasn't Weber the first person to demonstrate a practical solution to the boomerang band effect? (i.e., I thought the method published in Magicana was non-viable, and Weber figured out a way to actually do it). Possible source: An Omni magazine profile of Weber.

The Apr 1983 Genii, in Magicana, has Weber describing how he learned it from Dan Garrett, who learned it from Don Cox, who learned it from a layman.

I remember doing it in the hallway in my dorm at college, sometime in the early 1980s. I was not associated then with magic or magicians, and don't recall how I learned it -- from print, or a person. But it was not from magic literature. And in the intervening years I forgot how to do it, and what grip I used (I lost a lot of brain cells in that dorm). There are a couple of grips that work, and all of them involve holding the band in a vertical plane, and stretching it so the lower strand is under more tension than the upper one. When released, that imparts a spin that puts reverse English on the band.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 7th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Weber is the person whom I've heard about doing the rubber band gag more often than others.
He's also the only person I can remember seeing do it.

I have no recollection of anything by Charlie Miller in Magicana regarding the subject, but that only means I have not memorized all of Magicana.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:I have the Kenner booklet also. I remember I didn't have much success with the effect.

It’s tricky to get the hang of , I wasted plenty of time getting the knack but it’s quiet something to witness ..... The wife said I should have cut the grass or done something more “ useful “ :D

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:Wasn't Weber the first person to demonstrate a practical solution to the boomerang band effect? (i.e., I thought the method published in Magicana was non-viable, and Weber figured out a way to actually do it). Possible source: An Omni magazine profile of Weber.

The Apr 1983 Genii, in Magicana, has Weber describing how he learned it from Dan Garrett, who learned it from Don Cox, who learned it from a layman.

I remember doing it in the hallway in my dorm at college, sometime in the early 1980s. I was not associated then with magic or magicians, and don't recall how I learned it -- from print, or a person. But it was not from magic literature. And in the intervening years I forgot how to do it, and what grip I used (I lost a lot of brain cells in that dorm). There are a couple of grips that work, and all of them involve holding the band in a vertical plane, and stretching it so the lower strand is under more tension than the upper one. When released, that imparts a spin that puts reverse English on the band.

That’s interesting that they learned it from a layman . Chris Kenner said Michael Weber only did it once for him and never told him the how but he figured it out himself

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 7th, 2019, 12:56 pm

There's a version of the boomerang rubber band in Apocalypse from the late 80s or early 90s. IIRC it was a cover item, and it was pretty easy to do once you understood the mechanics. Don't recall who it was attributed to, but Weber doesn't ring a bell, nor does Kenner. Will look it up later if I have the chance.

Av

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

This is juggling, not a magic effect, so doesn't qualify as an "effect."

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 7th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Had to look before curiosity killed one of my cats.

The item I recalled from Apocalypse was indeed a cover item, it may be found on the December, 1991 edition (Vol. 14, No. 12). The effect or juggling feat or whatever, is called Bang, You're Dead, and is attributed to Carl Albright.

Av

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 2:05 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:The booklet in question was co-written by Chris Kenner and Dan Garrett. It is not clear the effect was created by either of them, as it is reputed to be a stunt that has been around for ages.

Dan Harlan subsequently taught the effect on one of the videos in his rubber band trilogy.

Although I would defer to the Chief Genii on this, I understand through hearsay, that Charlie Miller created quite a buzz with the effect many years ago in Genii Magazine.

Conrejour, I truly wish that I could do a torn and restored with the New York City Yellow Pages, but I was just joking about that.

Yes I did think you were joking but once a magician makes such a statement I tend to agree .....just in case :D

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Anthony Vinson wrote:Had to look before curiosity killed one of my cats.

The item I recalled from Apocalypse was indeed a cover item, it may be found on the December, 1991 edition (Vol. 14, No. 12). The effect or juggling feat or whatever, is called Bang, You're Dead, and is attributed to Carl Albright.

Av

Thanks for that Anthony

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:This is juggling, not a magic effect, so doesn't qualify as an "effect."

How does something qualify as a magical effect? The audience reaction is all to be wished for with this effect

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:This is juggling, not a magic effect, so doesn't qualify as an "effect."

Depends on how you present it . . .

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 7th, 2019, 2:21 pm

The Cambridge Dictionary defines "juggle" as, "to throw several objects into the air, catch them, and keep them moving so that at least one is always in the air."

The Oxford Dictionary defines "juggle" as to, "Continuously toss into the air and catch (a number of objects) so as to keep at least one in the air while handling the others."

The McMillan Dictionary defines "juggle" as "to keep objects moving through the air by catching them as they fall and throwing them back into the air."

None of the foregoing dictionaries defines "magical effect."

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:

Depends on how you present it . . .

I agree , Paul Daniels used to do this in his stage show

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » January 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

From memory, not research, the “returning Rubber Band” did appear in Magicana, probably in the 70’s. It involved hooking the band over the nail of your little finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 7th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Anyone trying to learn this is advised to pay attention to the size of the rubberbands, which must be just right for it to work.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:Anyone trying to learn this is advised to pay attention to the size of the rubberbands, which must be just right for it to work.

And, when they are relaxed, they should form a nice oval/round shape (no permanent bends in them).

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Curtis Kam wrote:From memory, not research, the “returning Rubber Band” did appear in Magicana, probably in the 70’s. It involved hooking the band over the nail of your little finger.

Originally mentioned in Genii Oct 1973, p 426; with further commentary in Jan 1974, p. 23 (letter from Don Cox); July 1974 p 293 (letter from Frank Chambers); Jan 1976 p 32 (letter from John Bass, pretty good explanation); Apr 1983 p. 244 ("Guttapercha Connection" by Michael Weber). And Linking Ring, Nov 1977 p 78 (Knoxville Ring parade), Linking Ring Oct 1987 p 53 (John Booth tells history (?))

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » January 7th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 7th, 2019, 8:43 pm

i learned the boomerang rubber band effect from Don Cox at a Gatlinburg Winter Carnival of Magic.

I heard at some point that Cornelius asked Vernon if he recalled anything amazing he had seen but couldn’t fathom. Vernon described the boomerang band effect.

Cornelius then set to work to figure out how it was done.

The ‘punch line’ of the story was that Vernon never saw the stunt demonstrated but created it as an impossible challenge to which Cornelius managed to rise.

I have heard that story from more than one person. But who can say if it’s accurate or apocryphal.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 7th, 2019, 11:13 pm

About the band trick - at a New York convention Weber performed the stunt. Here's some background on it: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/vie ... 7&start=20
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 8th, 2019, 12:38 am

Weber's handling is also written up in Scot Morris's "Games" column in Omni, 5/1985.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 1:28 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
Curtis Kam wrote:From memory, not research, the “returning Rubber Band” did appear in Magicana, probably in the 70’s. It involved hooking the band over the nail of your little finger.

Originally mentioned in Genii Oct 1973, p 426; with further commentary in Jan 1974, p. 23 (letter from Don Cox); July 1974 p 293 (letter from Frank Chambers); Jan 1976 p 32 (letter from John Bass, pretty good explanation); Apr 1983 p. 244 ("Guttapercha Connection" by Michael Weber). And Linking Ring, Nov 1977 p 78 (Knoxville Ring parade), Linking Ring Oct 1987 p 53 (John Booth tells history (?))

Thank you for that Bill

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 1:31 am

Great stuff thank you

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 1:35 am

Brad Henderson wrote:i learned the boomerang rubber band effect from Don Cox at a Gatlinburg Winter Carnival of Magic.

I heard at some point that Cornelius asked Vernon if he recalled anything amazing he had seen but couldn’t fathom. Vernon described the boomerang band effect.

Cornelius then set to work to figure out how it was done.

The ‘punch line’ of the story was that Vernon never saw the stunt demonstrated but created it as an impossible challenge to which Cornelius managed to rise.

I have heard that story from more than one person. But who can say if it’s accurate or apocryphal.

Very interesting indeed , I remember reading that Dan Harlan taught Vernon how to do the effect

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 8th, 2019, 3:34 am

Here is Don Cox teaching the method he learned from Ron Estes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBj3rIGOxsM.

And here is Al Angello teaching the method he learned from Don Cox (who learned it from Ron Estes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8knp2uxn0.

And here is Chris Kenner teaching a different method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HK4XmyDsv8 which he learned from Paul Sponaugle, who learned it from Dan Garrett, who learned it from Dox Cox, who learned it from his brother-in-law Claud York, who I believe (although I'm not 100% certain) learned it from Ardo the Frogman.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 4:27 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:Here is Don Cox teaching the method he learned from Ron Estes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBj3rIGOxsM.

And here is Al Angello teaching the method he learned from Don Cox (who learned it from Ron Estes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8knp2uxn0.

And here is Chris Kenner teaching a different method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HK4XmyDsv8 which he learned from Paul Sponaugle, who learned it from Dan Garrett, who learned it from Dox Cox, who learned it from his brother-in-law Claud York, who I believe (although I'm not 100% certain) learned it from Ardo the Frogman.

Thanks for that Brad , Ardo the frogman seems to have been a very knowledgeable guy getting the credit for another effect also

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 8th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Don Cox says: "Back in 1978 I learned two ways of doing what I called "The Boomerang Rubberband". I learned one way from my brother-in-law, Claud York, of Old Hickory, TN and learned another method from Ron Estes, of Nashville, TN. I eventually taught Claud's version to Dan Garrett and the version Al Angello does was from Ron. I did not originate either of the methods and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

I received permission from both Claud and Ron to do and show the methods. In 1979, Ron and I agreed to have both versions published in the Linking Ring Magazine. I sent Claud's method in and it was published, I believe in the Dec. 1979 issue. Ron never did get around to publishing his version. "

No mention of frogs, frogmen, or any other amphibians.

Don may be wrong on his dates. The method was published in the Nov 1977 Linking Ring, not the Dec 1979. And he learned it before 1978 -- in the Apr 1975 Linking Ring, he wrote a Ring Report for the Knoxville Ring in which he said he had just learned a new method for the Boomerang Rubber Band from Ron Eastes [sic] of Nashville.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Don Cox says: "Back in 1978 I learned two ways of doing what I called "The Boomerang Rubberband". I learned one way from my brother-in-law, Claud York, of Old Hickory, TN and learned another method from Ron Estes, of Nashville, TN. I eventually taught Claud's version to Dan Garrett and the version Al Angello does was from Ron. I did not originate either of the methods and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

I received permission from both Claud and Ron to do and show the methods. In 1979, Ron and I agreed to have both versions published in the Linking Ring Magazine. I sent Claud's method in and it was published, I believe in the Dec. 1979 issue. Ron never did get around to publishing his version. "

No mention of frogs, frogmen, or any other amphibians.

Don may be wrong on his dates. The method was published in the Nov 1977 Linking Ring, not the Dec 1979. And he learned it before 1978 -- in the Apr 1975 Linking Ring, he wrote a Ring Report for the Knoxville Ring in which he said he had just learned a new method for the Boomerang Rubber Band from Ron Eastes [sic] of Nashville.

Thanks a lot for that Bill

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 8th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Does anyone know which is the best method to learn?

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Does anyone know which is the best method to learn?

For me Chris Kenner’s was brilliant as it guaranteed a great backspin from up to 15 feet away , it takes a while to get the knack but for me enyway was worth the effort as people never forget it once seen

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Does anyone know which is the best method to learn?

Can't speak to the best, but the one I cited above, from Apocalypse, is pretty easy to learn. After looking it up yesterday I fiddled with it and had the band spinning merrily back to me after only a couple of tries. It is knacky, but Harry teaches it well.

Av

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”