Discuss general aspects of Genii.
erdnasephile

In memory of President Bush, magic enthusiast

Postby erdnasephile » December 7th, 2018, 8:54 am

From Genii, October 1984:

Bob Farmer

Re: In memory of President Bush, magic enthusiast

Postby Bob Farmer » December 7th, 2018, 9:10 am

Al told me that President Bush had purchased one of my tricks, "Tsunami" (which is now contained in my my book The Bammo Tarodiction Toolbox). I was going to a magic convention with a box of the trick in my car. I live in Canada on the Canadian/U.S. border.

At U.S. Customs they pulled me over for an inspection and came across the box of tricks. So now I'm inside the office and they're looking at the tricks and telling me there are rules about importing stuff and I haven't followed any of those rules.

Right behind the customs officer is a picture of President Bush. I point at the picture and I say that President Bush has purchased one of the "Tsunamis" and he has no problem with it. The officer looks at me like I'm nuts and I say that if you don't believe me you can call Al Cohen--here's his number--in Washington and he will confirm it.

Well, that did it--the guy was on my side at last. He told me what I'd have to do next time but this time, no problem. Off I went to the convention and sold a pile of the trick--thank you President Bush.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » December 7th, 2018, 10:15 am

Although she didn't mention "Tsunami", New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd referred to a trip to a magic shop by President Bush.

"Who else would go to the magic shop near the White House and fill his office with items like a red rope that turned white, a calculator that squirted water and cash on a string so you could yank it back when someone tried to pick it up? He also had a crystal ball with a disembodied voice that gave Delphic answers to questions about tax increases: 'The images are cloudy. Have someone else ask.'"

Her entire column can be found here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/opin ... -dowd.html
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » December 7th, 2018, 12:46 pm

He also owned one of Ben Stone's [Delben] ink blotters [https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/delben-blotter-delben-blotter/]. I remember Ben showing me a picture of President Bush performing it.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » December 7th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Several years ago, I became aware that he was known to buy a magic trick or two every now and then. From what I understand, he would frequent Al’s shop before and when he was VP but not when he became President.

He bought a Mel Babcock prop from Al either for himself or a family member. It was a Die Box, Coin Through Bolt Penetration, or Block and Ball Transposition. Mel wholesaled those three effects to Al so it had to be one of those.

Mel still makes all three of those in case anyone is interested. :)

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » December 7th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Fascinating, thank you gentleman

Return to “General”