Draun Control

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Draun Control

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2005, 9:50 pm

Has anyone tried this? I have, and it's good.

I was familiar with it already because I bought Steve Draun's CD ROM with it and some other sleights.

It's one of those things that just looks like you're doing nothing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Draun Control

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2005, 7:48 am

Except for certain extreme angles, it's an almost perfect sleight.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » November 25th, 2005, 1:52 am

Yes, I love it. The worlds easiest pass - at least it does the same with less moves. It is a little angly, but less angly than any pass. I perform table hopping and it is perfect and 100% angel proof when you are standing up and the spectators are all sitting down.

However if you are standing and they are standing - then there is a high risk that they will catch you.

Don't you just love simplicity. It's actually pretty easy to do while talking and looking at the audience - it can be done so casually. Sometimes I just say "so we put your card approximately in the middle of the deck" while doing it. They will look up at me while I'm talking, and they will still believe they see me leave their card in the middle of the deck, everything seems totally fair. As Steve Draun said, this is propbably the most valuable move in his entire Book/CD-rom ( I actually don't recall if its in the book, but fore sure its on the CDrom).

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » December 12th, 2005, 6:08 am

There is no such thing called "Draun Control" in the book.
Regards
Thomas

pduffie

Postby pduffie » December 12th, 2005, 8:43 am

As far as I am aware, it's only on his Underground CD-Rom #2. I highly recommend both Steve's CDROMs.

Peter

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2005, 4:20 am

If anyone struggles with the left thumb action, Harvey Rosenthal's 'The Pop Up Move' can be utilized.
The move is described in 'Packet Switches 111' by Karl Fulves, and Steve Beam's 'The Trapdoor' issue No:34.
Brian Glover.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » January 20th, 2006, 5:37 pm

I only found out about this thanks to my subscription to Genii (I am continually reminded by the magazine content that I made a wise choice of investment). I picked up the Draun Glimpse in John Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy, and it is equally clever (if not somewhat reminiscent of Harry Lorayne's Super Peek). These two items alone have convinced me of two very important things to remember...
1. Get my hands on as much of Steve Draun's material as I can.
2. Renew my subscription to Genii.
:)

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » March 15th, 2006, 11:58 am

Something I make sure to do is subtly show the bottom card of the deck before and after performing the control, for subliminal effect. Besides the issue of angles, something to watch for is having the spectator think you just put your cards UNDER the deck, rather than on top. Of course, not to be obvious -- this slight requires a casual approach -- but the spectator needs confidence that the cards in your right hand are returned on TOP of theirs. Otherwise, wow, what a great control! No cuts, no pass, just work on the revelation!

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » January 22nd, 2018, 12:38 am

I believe he calls it the Thumb Pass. Fantastic pass.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am

Is this about the Draun Control item from Genii Magazine 12/2005 page 98 ? Mike Caveny on the cover of the issue.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 22nd, 2018, 11:09 am

Is it described in The Magic of Steve Draun published in 1987? (page 6)

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » January 23rd, 2018, 2:02 am

No, the Thumb Pass/Control is not the "Draun Control" that was talked about in this thread. Jonathan Townsend's reference is the right one. It's sort of a spread cull to the top of the deck.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 23rd, 2018, 2:51 am

Thank you, Denis.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 23rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

I’m struggling with this one with my small Trump like hands.

However I will persevere.

Andrew

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 24th, 2018, 3:42 am

JT: thanks for finding the reference in print, and Denis for confirming it.

Andrew: With regards to your Trump hands, here is an idea that might help you. I think it was Larry Jennings who had a move to get a break below the top card of the deck, that he held the deck in mechanic's grip. He then bore down on the upper left corner of the deck with his left thumb. At the same time, the left index finger also applied pressure to the top card, but also towards the left thumb. This caused the inner right corner of the deck to pop up in order to catch the break. (I can't put my finger on the published reference, but Daryl used it a lot--I think it's on one of his videos).

In any event, I tried using this technique with the Draun Control and it works like a charm, and it's easier with small hands because you don't have to reach your thumb so far across the deck.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 24th, 2018, 5:01 am

Many thanks erdnasephile - yes, I can achieve ‘the buckle’ via other means but am having difficulty with the Draun method.

I will keep at it though as it does appear to be be a very effective move.

Regards

Andrew

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 24th, 2018, 8:45 am

erdnasephile. the move it seems you are describing is the rosenthal pop up move.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 24th, 2018, 9:33 am

Brad Henderson wrote:erdnasephile. the move it seems you are describing is the rosenthal pop up move.

Appreciate the correction, Mr. Henderson--many thanks!

Thanks to Denis Behr's amazing Conjuring Archive, I finally figured out where I had personally seen this before: "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler--page 91 and following where Stephen Minch gives Mr. Rosenthal credit and also mentions Daryl came up with the same concept independently. The detailed description of the move there is excellent and makes a lot more sense than mine.

The Conjuring Archive lists where it first saw print by Mr. Rosenthal: Packet Switches (Part 3) (pg 184). It also mentions two other places the idea has appeared: Mike Maxwell briefly described a similar move he attributed to Larry Jennings, called the "Pressure Break" (The Cardwright) and Wesley James has published something called the "Splay Grip" in Enchantments, which uses the same move in a small packet and attributes the "pressure dynamic" to Mr. Rosenthal.

Here is the citation in the Conjuring Archive which wonderfully lays this all out
http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/search ... light=3064

Again: thanks to Mr. Henderson and Mr Behr for teaching me some magic history today--I love it!

magicfish

Postby magicfish » March 5th, 2024, 10:22 pm

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » March 6th, 2024, 1:24 pm

magicfish wrote:https://youtu.be/SoecFcxlZ3E?si=STK7h_udsLe6nlIF

Thank you for that. It was a nice tutorial.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Return to “Magicana”