multiple cards to pocket

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
KenAbbott

multiple cards to pocket

Postby KenAbbott » January 7th, 2005, 12:01 pm

I am interested in a source for a multiple cards to pocket routine. I am talking about a routine where a packet of several cards (say 12 or so) will go to a pocket one card at a time.

Re: multiple cards to pocket

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Dr. Daley - Stars of Magic - Cards up the Sleeve - The ace thru Ten go in order, with some great handling...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Chuck Smith's routine(s) are top notch
These can be found in his "What If?" and/or "Why Not" notes.

Aaron Fisher's "Bicycle Thief" is an easy (one palm / gaffed) routine that employs 5 cards.

Elmsley's "En Voyage" is a wonderful minimalist routine (3 cards travel one at a time, then all at once.) Check "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" (volume 2 if memory serves correct.)

Bruce Cervon has a nice handling of the above (in "Ultra Cervon")

KenAbbott

Postby KenAbbott » January 7th, 2005, 3:27 pm

I have worked on Dr. Daey's routine where the ten cards go up your sleeve and come out at the shoulder of your jacket. I am wondering how the misdirection and pacing may be different if you pull the palmed cards out of your pocket rather than the shoulder.

Is the trick weakened any?

Temperance

Postby Temperance » January 7th, 2005, 4:01 pm

Originally posted by D. Conn:
Aaron Fisher's "Bicycle Thief" is an easy (one palm / gaffed) routine that employs 5 cards.
See John Ramsay's 'Five Fly Cards' for the source.

Chaz Misenheimer

Postby Chaz Misenheimer » January 7th, 2005, 5:33 pm

The late George Vaughn did a first class rendition...ten cards, I think. They traveled one at a time from a packet in his hands to a pocket. I do not know if his version is published or recorded.
George performed full time out of Raleigh, NC during the 70's and 80's, and ran the Magic Corner for a while.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » January 7th, 2005, 8:05 pm

The wonderful Pat Page has a version I used to perform that was pretty easy technically and still packed a wallop ... I learned it off one of his old videos ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

DChung

Postby DChung » January 7th, 2005, 8:28 pm

Another vote for Chuck Smith. He really solved the last card problem beautifully. I was lucky enough to get a chance to see him perform this in Buffalo in October, and the routine (as well as the thinking behind it) was fantastic.

Derrick

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » January 7th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Read the stand-up card section in the Royal Road to Card Magic. It even comes with the lines.

I'm sure everyone else will pipe in with these three, but I'll state the obvious ones:

The most famous (to magicians) routines are probably the Charles Bertram, Dr. Daley, and Dai Vernon routines.

The Bertram routine can be found in The Modern Conjurer.

The Vernon routine can be found in More Inner Secrets of Card Magic.

The Doc Daley version is in the Stars of Magic book.

Reinhard Muhler put together a bibliography of sources for this trick. I bought my copy from Jeff Busby.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2005, 6:21 am

If I may add my 2 cents, I read all of the posts on this topic and perhaps I over looked the mention of Geofery Buckinghams dvd. He has a really fun and decptive routine with ten or twelve cards also.
I also give another vote for the Chuck smith routine. I have never seen it, But I have the notes and learned it from them. The reactions it garners the performer is awsome. To be honest everything in the notes is great magic.
Reed

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 8th, 2005, 4:53 pm

Another 'goodie' is Derek Dingle's 'Supersonic Spades to Pocket', a solid version of the classic 'ten card to pocket' that uses duplicate cards.

About two years ago, I worked out a relatively straightforward way of getting into into the effect [using a multiple bank deck] that creates the impression that any bunch of ten freely chosen cards from the deck are used in the subsequent 'card to pocket' phases of Dingle's routine.

In Dingle's published version, a duplicate set of Ace through Nine of Spades are used.

KenAbbott

Postby KenAbbott » January 8th, 2005, 8:22 pm

The only video of this style of trick is of Jack Pyle. Comparing it to the Dr. Daley trick, they both seem to be very bold palming moves with the Daley trick seeming to have more misdirection.

It seems that these are great confidence builders if you are afraid to palm cards. Having performed both, I am constantly surprised that no one notices the palming. If anything, they seem more suspicious of the false counts

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Resurrecting a very old thread!

According to Vernon, J Warren Keene had a ten cards to pocket routine. Has this been written up anywhere? Thanks.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 8th, 2018, 12:56 pm

There have been a few variations on the market since this thread started; I believe that Steve Valentine's C2P has a section on multiple cards, Chris Congreve and Gary Jones put out a DVD a while back called Pocket This, which has a very nice six card routine that is good for strolling, John Carney has a version in the Book and Videos of Secrets and I have a version by Lewis Barlow in some very old notes.

As for Keene, no idea :)

performer

Postby performer » May 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

I worked out my own version. It goes over very well and the palming is minimal. I may post it here or I may not. I shall have to consider whether you all deserve it. Probably not.....................

performer

Postby performer » May 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Incidentally there is a very entertaining version by Bobo in a rather obscure book called "Watch this one". I think it predates Modern Coin Magic and it is a remarkably good little book. I use a few gags from this book and the Cards to Pocket is a plum of the book. Particularly good for children and I get a feeling from the patter and presentation that it was part of Bobo's school show.

There is also quite a servicable version in "Marvels of Mystery" by John Booth.

Stephen Burton

Postby Stephen Burton » May 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Jimmy Grippo's version is very direct and worth looking at as well. It's on page 59 of The Magic of Jimmy Grippo.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 9th, 2018, 5:15 am

When I joined the Society of Irish Magicians in the early 70's, I'd say at least a third of the members could perform a Cards To Pocket routine.
Two visiting magicians who performed in fairs and carnivals, Johnny Hoffman and Cran King, each performed it.

Stanley Collins felt the Cards To Pocket was an abomination as there was no logic to it. Cards Up the Sleeve, he felt, was much more logical. I mentioned that to Patrick Page and his response was voiced in colourful language. He didn't agree!

At the recent Irish convention Ian Keable performed a very nice version of the Cards Up the Sleeve.

Mike O'Brien has the best way of dealing with the last card in a Cards To Pocket routine that I've come across and it is on his lecture DVD sold by International Magic, London.

Making an amusing noise as each card travels adds to the entertainment value and diminishes the boredom factor.

performer

Postby performer » May 9th, 2018, 8:36 am

Stanley Collins also thought that the double lift was abominable so his opinions should be viewed in that light. However, I have noticed that old time magicians were not keen on using the pockets in magic as it was considered in vaguely bad taste. Turning pockets inside out was considered inelegant in the old days as were references to magicians having empty pockets thus alluding to the poverty of magicians. Very tut-tut in the old days and I suspect the practice of getting spectators to reach into the trouser pocket of a magician to retrieve something or other was viewed with abject horror. In the climate of the day sleeves were fine, pockets weren't.

With regard to the last card I use the method in the Royal Road to Card Magic which is not particularly well described. It is in fact the Buckley Card Vanish. And Buckley doesn't describe it very well either. I first came across it as a cigarette vanish oddly enough! Oddly enough I use that little move far more in my svengali routine than I ever do in Cards to Pocket. It probably scares more people off from buying them than it actually does to help sell them but I have to do it in order to keep sane as it does seem to evoke a certain amount of laughter.

I have decided to give away my version of the Cards to Pocket in my annotations to the Royal Road to Card Magic.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 9th, 2018, 8:55 am

performer wrote:...I have decided to give away my version of the Cards to Pocket in my annotations to the Royal Road to Card Magic.

Thank you. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 27th, 2018, 11:34 am

I posted a "Perverse Cards To Pocket" on March 1, 2005 to the Perverse Magic thread of this forum.

performer

Postby performer » May 27th, 2018, 11:45 am

I have recently worked out a method for the last card that has not yet been tried out with laymen. I will not describe it here since it breaks all the rules of magic. However, I have added one line of patter to satisfy that objection. I shall have to try it out first on laymen to see if it works. It may well make up in entertainment value what it lacks in mystery . But it might not lack in mystery so I will have the best of both worlds. I shall have to try it out first.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”