Georges Melies

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Georges Melies

Postby Steve Bryant » May 3rd, 2018, 5:56 pm

Click on the Google logo today (5/3/18) for a cool Georges Melies tribute.

Bill Mullins

Re: Georges Melies

Postby Bill Mullins » February 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm

The trophy presented by the Visual Effects Society to people behind films and shows with outstanding visual effects may look familiar.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 7th, 2019, 7:31 am

It's a tribute to Melies, a Frenchman who wrote, produced, directed and starred in the 1902 film, "A Trip to the Moon." In the film, the man in the moon is hit in the eye by a space capsule containing a group of astronomers, led by Melies. The capsule, which was made in the shape of a bullet, was fired from a canon. The only reason I know about Melies and the film is that I collect custom playing cards, and in my travels, I saw that there was deck of cards, which, like the trophy Bill brought to our attention, is based on the iconic man in the moon from the film. I was attracted to the design, and immediately acquired several decks. The cards, which are called, "Melies, Voyager Edition," were designed and produced by Derek Mckee and Michael Blau and printed by the Legends Playing Card Company Taiwan. Like all the decks printed by Legends, they are of superb quality.

Here's a 30 second clip of Las Vegas magician, David Gatti, putting the cards through their paces. (They come in black and red back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbL-m1lYRAc

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 7th, 2019, 8:02 am

PS I would have been remiss if i forgot to mention that Georges Melies was also a magician.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 7th, 2019, 11:27 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:PS I would have been remiss if i forgot to mention that Georges Melies was also a magician.

He also purchased the Theatre Robert-Houdin from Emile’s widow and produced de Kolta and other shows. “Marvellous Melies” by Paul Hammond is a nice biography of his life.

AJM

Postby AJM » February 7th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Melies features heavily in the Martin Scorsese film ‘Hugo’.

Return to “Buzz”