The March Issue of Genii is Now Live Online

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The March Issue of Genii is Now Live Online

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 22nd, 2018, 11:35 am

The March issue of Genii is now live online and in the mail.

In addition to all 80 years of Genii, we now offer all 25 years of MAGIC magazine in our online digital archive. A mere $35 will buy a digital subscription that will now officially take you the rest of your life to read everything we offer, which seems like a pretty good bargain.

We’re keeping things fresh at Genii by adding two new columnists, Jonathan Neal and Alexander de Cova, and two new reviewers, Shiv Duggal and Brad Henderson.

On our cover this month is attorney, ex-marine colonel (awarded a purple heart), and outgoing president of the Academy of Magical Arts Randy Sinnott. Randy has done an enormous amount for both Genii and the Academy of Magical Arts during his term. The Magic Castle had a fire several years ago and was in pretty bad shape afterward, and it was Randy who led the charge to get the club rebuilt and back on its feet. Jim Steinmeyer profiles this remarkable man.

Mike Weatherford was a writer for the Las Vegas Review-Journal for many years, reviewing shows throughout the city. Then the tables turned and he got to be in one … as a bear. Mac King’s bear, no less. He tells the tale in “Mac and the Bear.”
Enjoy the rest of our features including Mike Caveney, writing about a letter from Virgil to John Daniel; Martin Lewis, revealing the secret to his fabulous version of “The Sun and Moon”; John Bannon, divulging a breathless Ace routine with a truly shocking surprise ending; David Britland, winning this month’s prize for wittiest pun of a trick title—a card separation effect called “Another Fine Mesh”; Roberto Mansilla, sharing the secrets of his friend Rene Lavand; and the latest addition to our lineup, and someone I’ve been chasing for about 15 years, Jonathan Neal, a widely admired working pro on the west coast who shares the secrets of his routine for “The Egg on Fan”; John Guastaferro, teaching three excellent tricks in “Magicana”; and Daniel Ulin writing “Knights of the Magic Castle.” Don’t forget Jon Racherbaumer’s popular “On the Slant,” Todd Karr’s newsy “The Eye,” and our list of who’s performing where in the U.S.A. We wrap the issue with reviews of books by Tom Frame, tricks by Ryan Matney, and videos by Nathan Coe Marsh.

Join us today at http://www.geniimagazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Re: The March Issue of Genii is Now Live Online

Postby erdnasephile » February 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

The article on Randy Sinnott was outstanding. As an AMA member, I finished the article with a real sense of gratitude towards Mr. Sinnott and his fellow board members for saving the Castle. As an out of state member, I also wasn't privy to some of the details of that time disclosed in the article, so that was a good read as well. I hope Mr. Sinnott realizes his dream to perform in the Close Up Gallery soon.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 22nd, 2018, 3:18 pm

Todd Karr links to an old interview with Tony Asher (member of the Magic Castle, lyricist for the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album). The interview talks about the recording of the album, and how some notes are made by plucking piano strings instead of playing them. It says "Brian would say, “Okay, you hold down the chord and I’ll pluck the strings.” There’s a session recording that exists with us having that conversation."

Yes, there is a session recording, and you can hear them plucking the piano strings at ~4:40.

Pet Sounds is such a good album, and it's interesting to hear about how it was put together.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 22nd, 2018, 4:32 pm

Can't wait to check out Alexander de Cova in GENII. He is a brilliant thinker!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 22nd, 2018, 6:55 pm

Is More Genii Speaks working for everyone? It's the only link that isn't active or pink for me.

Otherwise, great issue. Couldn't put down the article about Randy.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm

John G. continues his excellent work in compiling Magicana.

Really enjoyed the Bannon trick this month also.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » February 22nd, 2018, 7:47 pm

My print issue actually arrived before this announcement. That's the first time that's happened for me.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 22nd, 2018, 8:21 pm

More Genii Speaks video is not up yet.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Finally got the More Genii Speaks video online, and I share the most wonderful thing I bought in Blackpool.

AJM

Postby AJM » February 23rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

Without checking out the video - I might be able to guess what that is.

If I'm right - I want one too!

Andrew

AJM

Postby AJM » February 23rd, 2018, 6:40 pm

Yep - that was it!

I ordered a Baffle Box (the tip over box) from Colin at the Blackpool Convention and was drooling over the hand crafted magic set as he had one on display in a glass box.

(It may actually have been yours Richard now that I think about it).

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2018, 10:52 pm

Andrew, that was not mine in the display case. Three people ordered at the last Blackpool and Colin delivered all three this time. One of the other two was on display.

In my set, everything was so beautifully wrapped in red tissue paper that it pained me to open it and discard the tissue! The whole thing is really stupendous.

Colin tends to load up the Baffle Box only with coins, but you could stuff coins and a hell of a lot of well-folded silks in there as well.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 24th, 2018, 12:43 am

Wow, Jonathan Neal's article detailing his handling of the classic "Egg on Fan" is easily worth the price of a year's subscription to anyone interested in this feat! Looking forward to his future installments as well. Thanks!

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » February 24th, 2018, 1:35 am

Richard, do you have a camera crew now?
Is it Elizabeth?
Or the cat?

And you teased us; I was hoping to see the card frame in performance!
That's a beautiful new collection you have.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Return to “Buzz”