A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Re: A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2004, 11:14 am

I personnaly am seeking magic (and articles) which are different than I normally do. I my case coins etc. When it comes to card magic or mentalism I can always buy a book but from Genii I am really interested in learning something completely different. Magic with everyday objects is a field where we can never have enough knowledge.

But generally I must say that Genii is great and articles provide entertainment and knowledge for years to come. Especially Flim Flam has always provided me valuable information (hey, I'm a student I need the money).

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2004, 11:04 am

I've been working very hard on a reverse assembly done with two slices of pickle loaf and four pieces of pepperoni. More articles on magic with sliced meats, please.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2004, 8:26 pm

Maybe worth a series -- the ideas of using modern techniques and technology in building better effects. Nick Rugiero on incorporating RF control into formerly timed effects --- Jeff McBride on replacing fire effects with high tech LEDs -- Mentalists systems using tells worked by PK, chem approaches - such as the use of glow in seance work.

Any sufficiently advanced technology ... (Arthur C. Clarke)

PS -- Jim Riser interview would be great but it has taken me a month to just get a lunbch with him (we both live in Tucsson) because he is one busy dood. His ideas and solid opinions on the decline in the quality of magic made in the US are pretty firm and true as far as I can tell.

GC

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » May 25th, 2004, 2:29 pm

I agree with those who would like to hear more discussion about platform magic a la Jim Steinmeyer. It will be difficult to follow his act, but while I always enjoy learning new methods, what makes Jim's column so good is the framework and presentational hooks he creates. That's the real bread-and-butter of the working performer.

As magicians, we must be all things--writer, director, technician, and ultimately, performer. It's always a pleasure to read or hear of a new presentational twist that helps us along those many roads.

New presentational ideas (on new or old methods)tend to spark your creative juices, opening up new metaphorical paths where a only moments ago stood a roadblock.

Thanks for the question and as always I look forward to Genii every month.

Fred Zimmerman

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 2nd, 2004, 3:02 pm

Not sure if this idea has been mentioned but I think a column on impromptu magic would be something that everyone could enjoy ... maybe have rotating columnists?? ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » June 20th, 2004, 8:17 am

Originally posted by Fred Zimmerman:
I agree with those who would like to hear more discussion about platform magic a la Jim Steinmeyer. It will be difficult to follow his act, but while I always enjoy learning new methods, what makes Jim's column so good is the framework and presentational hooks he creates. That's the real bread-and-butter of the working performer.

Ditto.

More stand up "cabaret/platform/stage" magic typical of Steinmeyer's columns , as have appeared in Genii and that other magazine. (Steinmeyer's column is the reason I still subscribe to that other magazine ! )

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
Richard,

A couple of ideas, the first speaks to the call for more stand up/parlor material. I remember two features from the Jinx that might be revived. One was the "Programs of Famous magicians" and the other was the "Complete Acts" listings, wherein Anneman would assemble a complete act for say, parlor use, from the material that had previously appeared. It was truly an education to see what he thought would play, and the impact and pacing decisions he made as he put the acts together.

That would be great , too. ( the "Complete Acts" listings, wherein Anneman would assemble a complete act for say, parlor use, from the material that had previously appeared.)

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Back on subject:

I would like what has been referred to a "Two Meter Magic" or parlour type, which Charlie Miller Charlie Miller Charlie Miller was best at (aside from his card/gambling stuff).

There are more than 2,947,493 card tricks in print so we don't need no more of those.

More practical, usable stand up type close up.

Yes, yes, yes. I have a whole special file of stand up/parlor magic that I xeroxed from Charlie Miller's Magicana. I liked how he varied the material . Sometimes cards, sometimes gambling stuff, but with generous helpings of classic apparatus magic, parlor/stage type of stuff .

(and when I say "xeroxed from Charlie Miller's Magicana " don't worry, I'm not selling it . I only xeroxed it for my own convenience in referencing the material , and so as not to destroy my old Genii's by cutting out Magicana to put in the file)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 8th, 2004, 10:15 am

Originally posted by Rick Schulz:
...Perhaps this (thumb tip & folding coins) also could be the subject of a Magicana? Just a thought.
Richard, I have a nice coin vanish using a folding coin and thumbtip. Offered freely.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I'd like to see articles on some of the craftsmen of magic, like maybe Todd Lassen or Jim Ri

ser.
This is out of left field,but what I'd really really like is an artical by someone like Riser or Nomn Nealson on building high quality magic.Something along the lines of the feature articals in Wood or Popular Woodworking,for the person who is already a knowlageable woodworker and would like to build his own props such as a Blue Phantom or Checker Cabinet.This comes from beyond left field,I'd also like to see an indepth artical on wood turing for magician.Mybe Riser or Les Smith on the Morison Pillbox or the Tarbell Orange.This actually does belong in Magicana,Charley Miller ran an artical on building a Jap Box and the plans for an electroic smoke vanish,
On a similar subject it would be nice to see all the magic from the four volumn Boy Mechanic reprinted in one place.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 8th, 2004, 3:55 pm

Originally posted by Constantine:
...This is out of left field,but ...like to build his own props ...
Long ago, there was a Roy Doty (sp) column in Popular Science with do-it-yourself stuff that was useful.

Not so sure how many of us would enjoy a Norm Abrahms style 'This Old Magic Prop' type column where you need a huge workshop and the skills of a mater carpenter just to make a drawer box.

Perhaps something for us average joes who can get to the hardware store?

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2004, 4:10 pm

I agree with the above, Hey we just had an in

depth article on Mr. Porper . I agree with Les

Smith, Ted Lansing . What about John Gaughan,

George Kimery. Chance Wolf,Mendoza. A new guy

slipped in the side door, Joe Fairchild . I seen

his stuff,he knows what you need on the road.

Someone I've always wanted to know more about

was Martin the British watchmaker. We have a

regular here who knows a lot about him and his

don't you , don't you Pete ?

I would like to see it as Fine Woodworking

style than Wood , no insult to the sugestion.

While I have your attention how about a series on

magic shops. I've read and posted on more that

one forum " What was the first magic shop you

went in?" ( Al Cohen it was yours in 1956,I was

16 )Think about it ....Mike Walsh

flynn

Postby flynn » April 26th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Never thought of vanishing a quarter with thumbtip or dislaying "two quarters" using a folding quarter before. Cool! I found a lot of good stuff from the older threads. I found a magician fooler fom Pete Biro that was a good find that im still practicing. Reading the coin vanishes from this months Magicana kind of reminded me of Mr. Biro's trick.

flynn

Postby flynn » April 26th, 2008, 6:02 pm

I'm not telling which thread I found it in. :grin:

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 26th, 2008, 6:42 pm

There's also some hints about my one-handed vanish using a TT and a folder on the threads - also the two handed thing using a folder though not in detail.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 22nd, 2008, 3:51 am

The face up tent vanish was published (as the Caravan Move) by Anthony Owen in an issue of the Dungeon. I sold my copies last year, so I can't give you the exact issue. Sometime in 93 at a guess.

Take care, Ian

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 22nd, 2008, 2:14 pm

I would like to see more working magic routines and ideas from magicians that were working years ago - and are working today.

Less theory and magicians magic or magic convention magic that one might see at a magic convention and more magic that magicians can use in the real world. In both close up and stage magic.

Another idea - to re-print the working routines of past issues of Genii that could go back to the early issues to give todays magician a chance to see what was done - in the 50's 60's and 70's.

Just a few ideas.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » May 31st, 2008, 12:31 pm

As I look through my stack of Genii mags I like how Magicana was used as a forum for a particular effect or magic problem that was revisited by readers - Ring on Rope, various card effects and such or what to do when 'something' doesn't go to expectation. This approach positioned Magicana as a thinking practitioner's oasis where readers contributed to a common topic which I like very much. Those Geniis still provide mental sparks for creativity and the feeling that I am conversing with others. (perhaps that function has transferred to internet forums)

I get a bit dismayed when most ads, posts and published pieces take the 'be like me or be like them' approach to sell the product. But am equally amused when the befuddled complain that someone else performs the same 'act' they essentially took (i.e., copied) from one of these sources.

Richard, I suggest a challenge or problem be released to readers to re-fashion an effect or provide various solutions using a different method or presentation and publish the contributions for the benefit of diversity and the creative part of what we do.

retepnap

Postby retepnap » June 15th, 2008, 2:32 pm

i don't know if anyone else would be interested but i would love to see some packet tricks or ideas for them, some you could do with a regular deck, i have been doing the "shortchanged" one that was in genii awhile ago, and i have been rereading my "counthesaurus" and playing around with ideas for different counts and ways to adapt them.

off the subject a bit, i would like to see some more articles on presentation if possible, creating a character, and some more things on theory.

Return to “Magicana”