Eugene Burger Has Died at 78

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mike henkel

Re: Eugene Burger Has Died at 78

Postby mike henkel » September 1st, 2017, 6:28 pm

Since hearing of Eugene's passing, I have taken the time to listen again to his audios, videos and to then reread his teachings . What I find now is that they now take on a very different and more powerful perspective . What a man of great character, what a great magician. Generations of magicians have been affected by his thoughts and ideas . I remember attending a lecture of his in late 70's all the way up to this May. His teachings have greatly expanded and evolved over all this time . If you miss Eugene and what to listen to Eugene again, put on one of his audios/ videos . He will be there waiting in a much greater way.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 13th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Just received this month's Linking Ring (Sept 2017). Lawrence Hass wrote an "In Memoriam" piece on Mr. Burger, which is followed by eulogies from many of his friends (compiled by Simone Marron). I like the concluding story from Tod Gerard the best.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 13th, 2017, 8:08 pm

You will find a much larger tribute to Eugene in our October issue, now at the printer.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 13th, 2017, 9:11 pm

I look forward to reading it, Richard.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » October 16th, 2017, 4:07 pm

The last book Eugene Burger worked on is being published:

Teaching Magic
A Book for Students and Teachers of the Art

published by Theory and Art of Magic Press
co-written by Larry Hass; hardcover, 6"x9", 182 pages; includes seven previously unpublished routines. Available for pre-order from your favorite dealer.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2017, 5:45 pm

There are two more posthumous books that will follow this one. (This one was not planned to be posthumous.)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » November 24th, 2017, 11:51 am

observer wrote:The last book Eugene Burger worked on is being published:

Teaching Magic
A Book for Students and Teachers of the Art

published by Theory and Art of Magic Press
co-written by Larry Hass; hardcover, 6"x9", 182 pages; includes seven previously unpublished routines. Available for pre-order from your favorite dealer.

I just purchased this book and have admittedly only got up to page 28. I used to find Eugene vaguely amusing although he did have some performing faults. I therefore have been trying hard to like this book but can't quite manage it yet. However, I shall continue reading it in a spirit of persistence and resilience. However, so far he seems to be talking a load of tosh. The last straw was reading in the last hour when he agreed with grumpy old Stanley Collins that the double lift was an "abomination". Somehow I didn't mind Stanley saying it because it had just come out at the time and he hadn't quite got used to it. However, Eugene should have figured out by now what a wonderful and useful move it is providing you don't over do it. I suppose the REAL reason he didn't like it is because couldn't do it properly. Methinks he should have practiced it more to get the hang of it.

However, even putting the double lift aside, I don't agree with very much he has written so far, particularly the daft notion they have at that rather odd mystery school that the whole class should send in critiques of students performing. In other words the blind leading the blind.

I am beginning to think that magicians shouldn't write books on theory as there is a great tendency for most of them to be talking nonsense particularly if the books are written after 1954. As I have always said, the trouble with magicians is that they think their opinions are important. Except mine of course but naturally that should be patently obvious.

Return to “Buzz”