BE KIND TO THE KIDS.

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

BE KIND TO THE KIDS.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 10:30 am

After reading some of my own posts and looking at the great books that have been published since my dad died, I have learned one thing. No matter now much you hated a magi's kid -- treat him well. He/She will be around long after you are dead and will be the only one to tell just how good you really were. Carlyle always tried to bribe us with candy when we were kids. He had no need to do that. We learned to love him without the candy.

I may, from time to time, say bad things about magicians you hold in high regard. For the record, there are many facets to a complex human being. My seeing a different facet from yours does not make my truth truer than yours.

Re: BE KIND TO THE KIDS.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 10:52 am

You would probably hate my assessment of Dunninger,Houdini, Himber,Scarne,Goshman,Dr Jaks, S.Leo Horowitz, Benson, and many others who failed to impress me as a bright little kid. If any of these guys are your heroes, don't contact me lest I poke holes in your condom.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 13th, 2006, 11:00 am

Derek,
Did you have any contact with Nate Leipzig? You would have been very young when he died, but I'm curious to hear any impressions you may have of him.

-Jim

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 11:12 am

I have no more memories about Nate than I do about Harry. I do have my father's strong opinions about both. He admired Nate and he was not too fond of Harry.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Hi Derek,

Glenn Bishop here and I am the son of a magician as well. My Dad (The Late Billy Bishop) booked your dad to lecture for the Portland SAM when he was the pres of that club at one time. My Dad also performed in night clubs and on the Ed Sullivan show and had quite a performing life.

I have read a lot of your posting and it is nice that you have come onto the genii board to talk to magicians.

I can't speak for other magicians, but being a magician fan of your Dad, Dai Vernon and the son of a magician I can understand what your saying here. Being the son of a magician that was as respected as Dai Vernon you grew up with your dad having house guests that were other known magicians at the time. You got to see the magicians as they were in real life - as people that came over to your home.

I know this because I grew up the same way only in Chicago. They - your dad friends were there to see your dad not there to see your dads kids. Most magicians don't understand this. A lot of my Dads friends did not like - or enjoy being around his kid. Because they were there to see him not his kids.

Taking that into consideration, you had a great opportunity to meet people that a lot of people on this board would have loved to meet but now because they are gone - we can only know them through video and what is written about them.

I would really like to read some posting by you where you really open up and talk about the magicians that you met, saw and respected.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 13th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Glenn,

It was nice to see your dad (and your mom?) on the cover of Genii volume 15 #1, now available to those logging into Genii online. A brief but very favorable writeup is inside the issue.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Thanks for remembering them Steve, And that issue of Genii. I have 4 copies of that issue in my dads old archives of stacks of stuff. He was quit proud of that cover photo through the years.

He was also a big fan and knew Bill Larson Sr.

When he won the Houdini award for his rope tie at the PCAM convention just before the war. He was a fight cadet. He was on leave at the time and went to visit the Larson magic shop.

Mr. Larson came out saw my dad and said that he had talked to Mrs. Houdini who was in the Hospital - (she was very old). She wanted to meet my dad because she could not make it to the convention to give away the award.

So Mr. Larson ordered a cab and took my Dad to the Hospital to meet Mrs. Houdini. My dad talked about that as being one of the coolest things that happened to him in magic for his whole lifetime.

I understand that Mrs. Houdini passed on shortly after that - my dad said that he heard about the news when he was overseas.

Just as a note Jimmy Stoppard was the first magician to win the Houdini award and my Dad was the last person to win it. Jimmy Stoppard was one of the magicians that helped my Dad a lot when he was starting out.

Return to “Feature Articles”