Steranko

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Bill Mullins

Steranko

Postby Bill Mullins » April 6th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I note that Steranko will be appearing as a dealer at the Windy City Pulp and Paper show in a couple of weeks. I met him once, 40 years ago, and he was (and probably still is) a character. If I lived nearby, I'd go.

http://windycitypulpandpaper.com/home/

There is a lot of intersection between the pulps and magic -- Bruce Elliot, Walter Gibson, Houdini's fiction, Clayton Rawson, Charles Jordan.

PapaG

Re: Steranko

Postby PapaG » April 6th, 2017, 2:37 pm

I wonder how he feels about people coming up to him and talking magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Hey Bill, tell Jim I said hello.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » April 6th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Porper Originals put out a mailing early last year to say they would be producing, I think, a special edition of Steranko on Cards - I'm sure with Jim's blessing.

We never heard any more about it.

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2017, 3:26 pm

That is not a surprise, Andrew.

Stephen Burton

Postby Stephen Burton » April 6th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I follow him on Twitter and every Sunday evening he hosts an interesting talk with his followers that he calls his "henchmen." This week he'll be at the AMAZICON in Wilmington DE. His handle is @iamsteranko on Twitter and the Amazicon site is www.amazicon.net.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » April 12th, 2017, 5:07 am

I met Steranko about 12 years ago at a comic convention. I took my copy of Nick Fury #1 to have him sign and I bought a poster from him commemorating a talk done by him and Michael Chabon that is signed by both. After a comics discussion and dropping some money in his booth, I figured it was safe to ask him to sign one more thing.....my copy of Steranko on Cards. "Oh....you're a magician. Dem sons a bitches!" He signed it and just went on and on about what crooks certain parties are having stole his book and given it to Marlo who published it as his own. I have no idea how true any of that is, but I love the man's work and think he's just a colorful character in the history of magic and comics.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2017, 11:10 am

It is true: Jay Marshall gave Steranko's second book, The Ultimate Move, to Ed Marlo before publication. Marlo published certain things which were in it. The book never came out.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » April 13th, 2017, 5:17 am

On estimation, right Richard?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 13th, 2017, 6:05 am

He's appearing in KC at the end of the month: http://planetcomicon.com/guests/jim-steranko/

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » April 26th, 2017, 3:55 pm

In his comic books, he used to hide in the background art (you'd have to hold the book at an angle) the words, elongated to the point that you couldn't tell they were letters when looked at head-on, A Steranko Effect. Anyway, I probably know more about his artwork than his magic which I've only heard the anecdotes about.

My question, were his moves any good ? I mean I never see to use the Steranko Move or such in magic instructions. Don't get me wrong. I never heard his moves were NOT good. I just don't hear or read his name although I realize he IS a name in magic.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm

The material in his published book "Steranko on Card Magic" is very good.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 27th, 2017, 12:43 am

webbmaster wrote:In his comic books, he used to hide in the background art (you'd have to hold the book at an angle) the words, elongated to the point that you couldn't tell they were letters when looked at head-on, A Steranko Effect.

It wasn't Steranko who did that, it was Neal Adams, doing an homage to Steranko.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 27th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Getting back to webbmaster's question re "I mean I never see to use the Steranko Move or such in magic instructions," I agree that Steranko moves don't come up as often as I would expect.

A couple of examples though: Bill Goodwin in his Still Waters DVDs uses and references Steranko's Shadow Steal.

And Lennart Green makes excellent use of The Lateral Palm, especially in his Snap Deal, and he references Steranko's work on that palm.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 28th, 2017, 10:18 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
webbmaster wrote:In his comic books, he used to hide in the background art (you'd have to hold the book at an angle) the words, elongated to the point that you couldn't tell they were letters when looked at head-on, A Steranko Effect.

It wasn't Steranko who did that, it was Neal Adams, doing an homage to Steranko.

...who will also be in KC this weekend!

http://planetcomicon.com/guests/neal-adams-2/

Krenz
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder and Juan Tamariz

Postby Krenz » May 4th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Sorry I am late to this conversation—I am traveling a lot, so my time on forums is limited.
AJM wrote:Porper Originals put out a mailing early last year to say they would be producing, I think, a special edition of Steranko on Cards - I'm sure with Jim's blessing.
They would also want the blessing of Magic, Inc., which still publishes the original.

[anecdote]

About two dozen years (or so) ago, a man walked into Magic, Inc. and asked if I had a copy of a book called Steranko on Cards. It was Jim. We had a good conversation. At that time, he made a comment that the issues he experienced with the second book had helped him move further/faster into his career in comics. So a bad situation ended up having some benefit in the end.

I gave him the copy of the book for free. After some encouragement, I convinced him to give a talk at the Hardcore Lecture Group. It was quite good.

[/anecdote]

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » May 16th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I live less than an hour from Jim. He attended one of the East Coast Magic Spectacular conventions that I produced along with Mike Miller and Jeff Carson. The headliner was Juan Tamariz and Jim wanted to see him. After that, he would occasionally attend lectures at our home and held court there. One particularly memorable event was when Lennart Green was to be a performer at another ECMS Convention. We had arranged for a dual talk about Jim's card work and Lennart's work with those principles. Unfortunately, Jim got book at a comic con for "real money" and had to back out. He did come to a night before party at my home though, so he could spend some time with Lennart. It was a great evening for the dozen or so people in attendance and I have some wonderful photos of the evening. Lennart and Terry Guyatt were both staying with me and everyone else left except Jim. Lennart asked Jim if he still played guitar. Jim said yes and Lennart dragged us all to my lower level where I have my guitars. Most people don't know that Lennart also plays guitar and his playing is as unusual as his magic stylings. Jim and Lennart each grabbed a guitar, I picked up my electric bass and Terry played keyboards (at which he is rather good. We played for an hour or so and, needless to say, it was an amazing session and I only wish I had captured it on video!

Marc DeSouza

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Steranko owns the original book.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 16th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Marc. Love to see your photos. Perhaps a Genii article?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm

There is a very rare (I think) soft-covered book entitled Steranko: Graphic Narrative. It was issued by the Winnipeg Art Gallery in 1978. It was issued in connection with a gallery exhibition of Steranko's work and published with the assistance of the Canada Council (they also gave Doug Henning money to study with Vernon).

I picked it up in a used book store for $7. No idea how much it's worth.

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » May 16th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Bob. ABE books shows 6 copies ranging from 50U$ to 113U$ (plus shipping)
see them here: http://tinyurl.com/l57ekm6

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2017, 10:08 pm

This is the one you want: you get two copies, BOTH autographed:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... srp-_-sgnd

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm

These books are musts. Not just for visual story-telling but for all story-telling.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » May 18th, 2017, 12:29 am

fkaps1 wrote:Hi All,

I live less than an hour from Jim. He attended one of the East Coast Magic Spectacular conventions that I produced along with Mike Miller and Jeff Carson. The headliner was Juan Tamariz and Jim wanted to see him. After that, he would occasionally attend lectures at our home and held court there. One particularly memorable event was when Lennart Green was to be a performer at another ECMS Convention. We had arranged for a dual talk about Jim's card work and Lennart's work with those principles. Unfortunately, Jim got book at a comic con for "real money" and had to back out. He did come to a night before party at my home though, so he could spend some time with Lennart. It was a great evening for the dozen or so people in attendance and I have some wonderful photos of the evening. Lennart and Terry Guyatt were both staying with me and everyone else left except Jim. Lennart asked Jim if he still played guitar. Jim said yes and Lennart dragged us all to my lower level where I have my guitars. Most people don't know that Lennart also plays guitar and his playing is as unusual as his magic stylings. Jim and Lennart each grabbed a guitar, I picked up my electric bass and Terry played keyboards (at which he is rather good. We played for an hour or so and, needless to say, it was an amazing session and I only wish I had captured it on video!

Marc DeSouza

And thanks to you, Richard and Don Camp, I received a VERY cool birthday present.....a framed photo of Lennart and Jim sitting on your couch going over moves; and since then it's been signed by both of them.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 24th, 2017, 10:30 pm

I forgot about this Steranko magic-related art: http://miraclefactory.net/zenstore/inde ... cts_id=426

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”