Chriss Angel passes out on stage.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Bill Mullins

Re: Chriss Angel passes out on stage.

Postby Bill Mullins » March 12th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » March 12th, 2017, 1:48 pm

The hanging strait jacket escape while spinning is a stunt that could really cause you to pass out. When I saw him do it I thought there was great potential for that kind of injury.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 12th, 2017, 2:31 pm

I was in the audience when Keith had difficulty escaping, and I knew he was going to be in trouble as soon as he started the routine. It was Thursday, August 4th. 2011. However the link Bill posted was dated July 2012, so maybe it happened twice.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 12th, 2017, 4:29 pm

maybe it's his body's way of telling him it can't watch that show one more time.

performer

Postby performer » March 13th, 2017, 11:43 am

I rather think Brad will not be getting a Christmas card from Mr Angel this year. I might be though since I give him publicity at every svengali demonstration I do when I get a female person to try the deck in her own hand. I often use a female since it gives a chance to give her a 30 second palm reading which might make her spend more money on 20 to 30 minute one. I usually say, "Have you heard of Criss Angel?. Well, you can be Christine Angel." It does get a laugh and in fact in the UK I used to use it in connection with the late Paul Daniels. The female would be called Pauline Daniels instead.

The main difference is that EVERYONE had heard of Paul Daniels so I didn't have to ask if they had heard of him. Alas poor Mr Angel might be a bit distressed to know that only about 20 percent of the people in my crowd have ever heard of him so alas his name doesn't have quite the same effect. Mind you they have never heard of David Copperfield either unless they like Charles Dickens novels. I have always found it quite ironic that Mr Copperfield gets upset so easily if people indulge in a bit of thievery from him and threatens to sue when he has done a bit of thievery himself from Mr Dickens who was himself an amateur conjurer. That sort of thing amuses me immensely.

Incidentally, the best advice I would give to any one who is threatened with being sued is to simply say, "OK. Go ahead!" That soon shuts them up. If it doesn't then they will lose even more money in the long run.

There. My legal advice for the day.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 13th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Angel blames poor diet, dehydration, and lack of sleep:

https://gma.yahoo.com/illusionist-criss ... ment.html#

Apparently, he got "so angry" and signed out against medical advice.
Last edited by erdnasephile on March 13th, 2017, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 13th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Of the hundreds of times Houdini did his upside down straightjacket escape, I don't recall ever reading anything about him passing out?

May just prove that Angel most definitely ain't no Houdini!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Roger, the reports above suggest that it's a "spinning" escape. I haven't read about Houdini doing such an escape while the rope was spinning.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 13th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I figured it was likely the "hanging upside down" part that was likely to rush the blood to ones head, and make it more likely one would pass out.

But you're right that Houdini didn't spin.

However watching them both, Houdini definitely didn't wiggle around as much, and looked far more classy escaping from his straightjacket than Angel looks escaping from his, looking like he's the middle of some sort of spastic fit.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » March 14th, 2017, 12:36 am

There is no story I know of that involves Houdini doing a spinning straitjacket escape. His visible escapes were quite spectacular and known for there "gyrations", but noting like the prolonged spinning I saw Chris do. And you can pass out just as well just from hanging up-side-down and not spinning. The blood rushes to your head anyway, but if you are involved in a physical escape, and to be clear Houdini, would have laughed at some of the unimpressive Straitjackets used today, the blood rushes all that much faster and eventually you will pass out.

Besides David Copperfield's, the other TV specials I advised on were the Circus of the Stars specials in the late 70s and early 80s. My job description was something like "keeping the actors from killing themselves." I taught Richard Kiel, yes, Jaws, that Richard Kiel to escape from a straitjacket while hanging upside-down. With his body mass, the blood rush was extreme and he almost lost it in rehearsal. Afterwards, he confided in me just how close he came to passing out, he feared he wouldn't be able to make it through the escape in front of the live audience. I asked him if he thought he could rip through the jacket? He replied, "Yea." I told that if it started to go bad, then just rip your way through the escape, I would take the heat for the change in choreography. He ripped, the crowd and, thank god, the producers loved it. Richard wasn't spinning, his body weight though, cause added exertion, the result was nearly the same.

performer

Postby performer » March 14th, 2017, 6:16 am

I think I shall stick to card tricks............................

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 14th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Huh...maybe Angel should talk to Stallone about how he managed his blood flow to his head when he was not eating: ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgpdvkDVJx/

Return to “Buzz”