Austin magician , automata, posters, tenyo featured in "local wonder" segment

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

Austin magician , automata, posters, tenyo featured in "local wonder" segment

Postby Brad Henderson » January 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Austin magician , automata, posters, tenyo featured in "local wonder" segment

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2017, 9:06 pm

Who was that doing the fake sword swallow at the end?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Re: Austin magician , automata, posters, tenyo featured in "local wonder" segment

Postby Brad Henderson » January 3rd, 2017, 9:25 pm

that's my girlfriend's son - i have taken on the role of 'dad'. He does a little magic quite well. He's done an act as Willard the Wizard and called forth spirits successfully, and he does a piece about Karmi wherein he does the faux sword swallow (with reveal) followed by a really great bed of spikes routine.

there are some pics of him doing this on my Instagram @austinmagician

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 3rd, 2017, 10:16 pm

Brad Henderson as "Dad".

Almost as scary as me being a parent.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 3rd, 2017, 10:28 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Brad Henderson as "Dad".

Almost as scary as me being a parent.

it's likely worse than it sounds. in my case - not yours.

it's a bit of an adventure. when I met him he was so shy and quiet he wouldn't make eye contact or even talk above a whisper. Didn't help that one of our earliest meeting involved the mongoose cage gag - which I thought would be cool to show an 11 year old. In effect I only managed to teach him not to trust me.

Later that year we all went to Disney/universal and that was a great opportunity for us to connect. in that time he has grown a lot - including such leaps as getting on stage and helping develop some interesting immersive experiences for various events I have produced.

right now I'm trying to share with him all those things I wish I had known at his age. we'll see how that goes.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 4th, 2017, 3:05 am

That is great stuff, Brad. Well done!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » January 4th, 2017, 8:37 am

Very cool stuff, Brad! Congratulations on the segment.

I saw what appeared to be a Del Ray dice chute. Is that an original?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 4th, 2017, 10:30 am

I liked the tooth Japanese puzzle box--very cool!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 4th, 2017, 11:17 am

Brad Henderson wrote: it's a bit of an adventure.

Understatement. Every single day . . . .

right now I'm trying to share with him all those things I wish I had known at his age. we'll see how that goes.

My son is ten, and I feel like one of my biggest responsibilities as a parent is to teach him to think for himself. He's old enough that I'm starting to see that happening.

I'm pretty sure your "son" will have plenty of guidance in that area. Good luck.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I liked the tooth Japanese puzzle box--very cool!

thanks. this was from the Karakuri creation group idea contest. it's a great piece.

I loaned it to Richard Garriott to be featured during his segment on puzzles for the Martha Stewart show.

http://www.marthastewart.com/334333/mec ... collection

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 4th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Tom Frame wrote:Very cool stuff, Brad! Congratulations on the segment.

I saw what appeared to be a Del Ray dice chute. Is that an original?

the idea of a dice shoot is centuries old. I don't know if the clear shoot was of del's
design or not. Mine was a custom piece made for me. you can also almost see an antique dice shoot in the shot of the table with the rings on them. interestingly that table was originally seized in an FBI raid - it's a hold out table. The other table can be used to house a juice joint as well as another amazing piece of high tech apparatus that essentially gives the operator x ray vision.

in the segment I rolled snake eyes at their request. only part of that was shown.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 4th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote: it's a bit of an adventure.

Understatement. Every single day . . . .

My son is ten, and I feel like one of my biggest responsibilities as a parent is to teach him to think for himself. He's old enough that I'm starting to see that happening.

I'm pretty sure your "son" will have plenty of guidance in that area. Good luck.

yes. teaching him how to think is bother frustrating and rewarding. he seems to take to looking at things "big picture" which I think will serve him well.

he can also be pedantic and argumentative - seemingly for its own sake.

I have no idea where he gets that from.

Return to “Buzz”