2016 tricks?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

2016 tricks?

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 12:14 pm

so - where there any tricks released in tne last year that simply aren't derivative ideas intended to appeal to magicians? everything seems to be more about fooling magicians and appealing to their egomaniacal value systems. wondering if there is anything out there that is actually good - something you might actually consider performing for real people?

Jonathan Townsend

Re: 2016 tricks?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 12th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Cleaning up the clever and getting such into practical performable pieces... there's a challenge worthy of your attention, Brad.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 12:43 pm

but one needs a solid starting point. Are tricks like that even sold anymore or is it all just to feed the magician's fantasy?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2016, 12:52 pm

I put out a routine that I use all the time for real people. Although it did seem to 'fool' a lot of magicians, that was never the primary goal.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Ian, does it have a name?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 12th, 2016, 1:35 pm

The Trick With No Name (2017 edition out soon)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Ian, does it have a name?

Yes, but I was reticent to plug it too much. But hey, since we're here, this is what people thought of it at Blackpool...

Hmm. Youtube embedding is not working. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFChCNGgEg

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 2:40 pm

thanks Ian. I'm looking for a proper marketed trick - not just something that could have been in a book or magazine. something that you buy that has a tangible component. Things that come to mind would have been something like Gary Plant's Magnetized Cards or even WOW - Though ideally it would be something beyond just a card trick.

Basically I'm looking for something to work on over the holidays but, nostalgically perhaps, am interested in a certain 'kind' of thing - something that doesn't seem to exist much anymore

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » December 12th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Brad,

"Starlight" by Chris Perrotta is on my Christmas wish list. It's a visually stunning effect. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I can't begin to imagine the method. I must have it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_WETfmVQDs

Tom

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 3:42 pm

that looks like crap to me. first, any video where you have to literally hide the switch by moving it out of the camera's view tells me it's more important to them to fool magicians than it is for them to create a workable solid product.

Second, it seems to me like it's just a card set up that allows you to scrape away or modify part of it so the light will shine through in the areas desired. Moving the card makes it appear as if the light is growing. or there could be a piece on the bottom or between layers that you move out of the way.

which brings me to the real issue. to me it doesn't look like an appearing light effect but a light only shows up through part of the card effect. Now if they held the phone OVER the back of the card, shined a spot light on it then moved the phone away and the light remained and was manipulated they would have what they seem to be selling. But this seems more like a case of let's sell something to magicians so the magicians can entertain themselves.

Though it does suggest that given the presence of flashlights in everyone's pocket that the hofsinzer card could make a comeback.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 3:58 pm

but thank you for making a suggestion. I do appreciate that. oddly it was this trick that made me lament the lack of quality workable real world ideas coming out these days.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2016, 4:25 pm

I'm looking for a proper marketed trick - not just something that could have been in a book or magazine.

No problem. I think 3FC is a tad more complicated than a magazine trick, but I take your point. You want a new toy to play with.

I don't buy many props these days, so I can't offer a suggestion.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Didn't mean to imply anything about quality with the magazine comparison. Only type of material - I'm am looking for something that's more than a 'TOY' but yes. something that has a tangible component. I miss that process of exploring an object and what it can do and how to make it look great. BUT I'm not interested in any DYI. I hate DYI. Plus, I have plenty of card tricks under my fingers and have been thinking about the need for something different just to get my mind thinking about something different. (he says as he sits at a lunch table with a deck of cards in front of him). Though I always enjoyed the Bob Farmer manuscripts that came out. Or a great packet trick. Remember packet tricks?

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » December 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm

I haven't kept close track of release dates but only two tricks made it into my performing repertoire this year. A variation of the Paul Vigil message on the back with elements of Priceless. The second was Rubicon by Gregory Wilson (whether you're a Wilson fan or not its a great trick)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 12th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Surprisingly - to me - I have had very little interest in "what's new" over the past few years and what friends have shown me as "the latest" mightn't have even been accepted as a magazine contribution forty years ago.

My most exciting acquisition this year has been the two (comb) bound volumes of The New Phoenix magazine.

Today I ordered my Christmas present to myself, Roberto Giobbi's new book Hidden Agenda, the sequel to Secret Agenda. The latter I found to be full of useful tips, hints, and ideas.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 5:58 pm

I hear you. And agree. But was hoping that maybe, over the course or an entire year, something of quality came out.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Ralph - rubicon looks like a version of the cube trick Keith Barry did on his special ages ago. Well, at least based on the elements of the handling they allowed to be shown in tne trailer

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » December 12th, 2016, 6:05 pm

The one thing I bought -- which, admittedly, is sitting here in its bag waiting for me to assemble and try it -- that might fit the bill is "Little Door." I really smiled when I watched the demo, and from looking at the gimmick and watching the explanation, the routining seems solid.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » December 12th, 2016, 6:24 pm

While I don't have it, some working pro friends speak very highly of Antonio Romero's Bill to Marker, sold by Nic Einhorn, based on the Bill Tube.

http://www.einhorn.co.uk/shop/?ID=14&dbId=100

performer

Postby performer » December 12th, 2016, 6:49 pm

I know Herb Morrissey would get irritated when people came into his magic shop saying, "Whats new, Herb?" He said to me, "They don't even know what's old yet!" He was right.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 6:54 pm

happy for an older recommendation. Hqvw we gotten to a point where an entire year has gone by without a single solid magic trick coming onto the market.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Have you played with the Tiny Plunger yet?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 7:33 pm

I prefer the original pit hartling version with the finger flick. Tried it with the plunger several years ago but I didn't care for it. i found it unreliable. And I just don't care for the plunger. too goofy without being charming enough for my taste. plus, it's a little over used.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 12th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:happy for an older recommendation. Hqvw we gotten to a point where an entire year has gone by without a single solid magic trick coming onto the market.

Brad: That is a really good question. I started thinking back over my purchases over the last 2 years and it's all books and classic items (Cups, Hidden Wren Wand, etc.)

Funny thing is, I'm still just as happy to be working the classics (Fooling myself on video with the Vernon/Mora vanish for the first time was a blast), but I think the last time I was thrilled with a non-classic prop trick to actually perform was probably Picto Transpo by Gene Anderson (which is so well thought out it's scary) and Jonathan Levit's C4 (which will murder anyone as part of a larger routine).

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » December 12th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Any of the Chris Philpott stuff float your boat?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 12th, 2016, 8:02 pm

I'm enjoying Garrett Thomas's Stand-Up Monte routine. Very well put together, and I much prefer it to the Skinner monte.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 12th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Brad,

Are you familiar with the ProMystic products? Check this out. I acquired it a couple years ago and it kills (for adults or kids). Totally dependable, packs very small, plays huge. The owner and inventor, Craig Fillicetti is a fantastic guy, an electronics genius and has phenomenal customer service. Includes an excellent video (no D.I.Y. involved).
http://www.promystic.com/product/multi-dimensional/

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Alfred,

Craig's stuff is great though it brings up a sad memory. I bought a color vision cube and a friend of mine gave me a real die as a gift. They have gone missing!!! I enjoyed using those a lot.

I have the proximity tags which I use for a specific trick in my stand up show.

performer

Postby performer » December 12th, 2016, 9:24 pm

I would have thought we all have enough tricks already. It might be a good idea to really learn the ones we already have to perfection first.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 12th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Mark, I appreciate that sentiment. I have a pretty solid repertoire that allows me to present in several formats/venues. While I will always be working and honing that material, every now and then I feel the need to shake out my head and look at something new - just to get those parts of my brain working again. In fact, I find that often helps me continue working on the older material as it gets my thoughts on a different part of the creative/work/development process.

It's been quite a while since I've learned anything new. Sure I've got my own ideas I'm plodding over, but it's different than just diving into a good, solid idea for a while. Plus, this was always the time of year I would get to do that. AND in a week or so I will have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do - so a productive diversion will be appreciated.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 13th, 2016, 12:04 am

Brad Henderson wrote:Alfred,

Craig's stuff is great though it brings up a sad memory. I bought a color vision cube and a friend of mine gave me a real die as a gift. They have gone missing!!! I enjoyed using those a lot.

I have the proximity tags which I use for a specific trick in my stand up show.

So sorry to hear that, Brad. I have lost some valuable stuff along the way and it never feels good.

Do you still have the transmitter? If so, you could get a replacement cube for not too too much...

Anyway here's a little performance of my routine using the color cube at one of my bar gigs that's kind of fun:
https://youtu.be/wnGTsBV4uGs

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » December 13th, 2016, 4:14 am

Jack Shalom wrote:I'm enjoying Garrett Thomas's Stand-Up Monte routine. Very well put together, and I much prefer it to the Skinner monte.

I did learn this a few years ago. The problem I had was that if I didn't do it for a few weeks, I'd have to relearn it. The sequence is specific and it's not easy to get the patter to match the technical sequence so the performer is confident he knows exactly what is where and when.

I thought it might be just me and I asked Garrett about it and he said he sometimes gets confused. But it is a stunning effect.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 13th, 2016, 6:56 am

Tom Stone's "Factory Blanks" is brilliant in the right setting.

I just ordered my own Christmas present, Wayne Fox's "5221" (52 to One). Wayne did it for me at The Magic Circle Dealers Day and I loved it.

Matt Field

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 13th, 2016, 8:20 am

For those tired of waiting for the man... Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was full of fine imagery and props to work from.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » December 14th, 2016, 8:22 am

I am enjoying Ben Blau's Unfazed. Just two sets of Zener cards, so perhaps not adhering to the restrictions of something new insofar as props. The routine itself is excellent; streamlined, interesting, and compelling. Eugene Burger does a version using picture cards. My only complaint, and it really is a gnat bite, is that the instructions are contained in a video download. Being a dinosaur, video instructions bore me and I far prefer books or manuscripts. Highly recommended.

Also took a chance last week on Valarino's Red Hand. (Apparently a recent reissue from some 20 years back.) The price point was high, but I was intrigued by the presentation and props. When the order arrived I found myself charmed by the effect and method, but disappointed in the quality of the props. I am looking around for suitable higher end replacements since the effect is a real audience pleaser.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 14th, 2016, 5:48 pm

I bought one of the 23 sets made of "The Knowing Game" and it's cool as hell. I have not had the chance to perform it for anyone yet, but will eventually.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”