If You Were a MAGIC Magazine Subscriber, You Can Roll it Over to Genii

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

If You Were a MAGIC Magazine Subscriber, You Can Roll it Over to Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2016, 3:20 pm

I can finally announce an agreement that Stan Allen and I have made.

Emails went out to MAGIC magazine subscribers earlier today.

If you were a subscriber to MAGIC and still have issues due on your subscription, you will have the choice of either getting a refund, or rolling your MAGIC subscription over into Genii (and we'll give you three free issues of Genii on top of that as a way of saying welcome).

For MAGIC subscribers who choose this option, your first issue of Genii will be the January 2017 edition, which is the first issue of our 80th year of publication. Note that all Genii subscribers who pay for a paper subscription get a digital subscription free, and it's not just a pdf download, but a genuine robust digital magazine with audio and video embedded in it.

As Genii subscribers know, they have free online access to all 79 volumes of Genii going back to 1936. Every page is up there. Sometime in early 2017 we will be adding the entire archive of MAGIC magazine (all 301 issues) to our online service. Thus subscribers to Genii will be able to view every issue of Genii and every issue of MAGIC online at no additional charge--it all comes with your subscription.

For those MAGIC subscribers who chose to roll over the balance of their subscriptions to Genii, we're pleased to welcome you to our family.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: If You Were a MAGIC Magazine Subscriber, You Can Roll it Over to Genii

Postby Joe Mckay » October 25th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Sometime in early 2017 we will be adding the entire archive of MAGIC magazine (all 301 issues) to our online service.

Wow! Great news!

The best magazine in magic just got even better.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » October 25th, 2016, 3:54 pm

Received my email earlier this afternoon and opted to extend my Genii subscription by seven issues. Thanks for the generosity and camaraderie to the community, Richard.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » October 25th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:
Sometime in early 2017 we will be adding the entire archive of MAGIC magazine (all 301 issues) to our online service.

Wow! Great news!

The best magazine in magic just got even better.

Wow.

That is fantastic.

Jaybo

Postby Jaybo » October 25th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Thanks, Richard (and Stan). That's a generous resolution, and I certainly appreciate it.

Orlan

Postby Orlan » October 25th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Sometime in early 2017 we will be adding the entire archive of MAGIC magazine (all 301 issues) to our online service. Thus subscribers to Genii will be able to view every issue of Genii and every issue of MAGIC online at no additional charge--it all comes with your subscription.

Wow, this is really great news! Definitely made my day. Thanks to you, and to Stan Allen, for making this happen!
The access to the whole catalog in digital form has been one of my favorite features, looks like 2017 will bring a lot of new cool stuff!

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 25th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Cool beans.

Thanks, Stan & Richard.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 25th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Hokey Smokes! The acquisition of the archives cushions the fall. Good going, Richard and Stan.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 25th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Fantastic news. Thanks to both Richard and Stan.

Stever Cobb
Favorite Magician: John Calvert

Postby Stever Cobb » October 25th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Its my understanding that there is one issue left to go with MAGIC. If I subscribe to Genii, will I receive the last printed issue Richard?

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 25th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Fantastic news! Thank you Stan and Richard.

Will MAGIC 360 be available?
Also, when "rolling over" can we buy one of the add-ons, including the soon-to-be-released mega book that was teased in More Genii Speaks?
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

JHostler

Postby JHostler » October 25th, 2016, 10:19 pm

What a smart move!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2016, 11:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that all current subscribers to MAGIC will receive the final issue in November (which will be the "September" issue, No.301).

I have no idea what will happen with MAGIC magazine's current website or M360. Our systems are completely incompatible because we publish an actual digital version of our magazine with embedded audio and video using apps. MAGIC has a website with content on it. That's really up to Stan Allen and you'll have to ask him.

Once you've become a Genii subscriber, the usual rules will apply: any of the bonus items can be purchased if you have at least six months left on your subscription. If not, then you have to extend or renew your subscription for at least one year in order to qualify.

Yes, a big whacking new bonus book is coming, hopefully in the first half of 2017. If you saw my November More Genii Speaks video, and saw the size of the pile of pages (which was not an exaggeration), then you can understand how much work is involved. We plan to sell it at an enormous discount to subscribers. I would hazard a guess that the price for non-subscribers (if we sell it to non-subscribers) will be $125 or more. I suspect it will also sell out more quickly than any of our other.

It's also possible that we might reprint "The Vernon Touch" next year or the year after.

Arcato

Postby Arcato » October 26th, 2016, 2:40 am

WOW, this is fantastic news! I was really worried about my digital issues, but Stan's team said they were working on a solution... I never thought this could actually become a reality...
re. M360, I was told that the website will be shut down on Dec. 31st 2016 ...

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » October 26th, 2016, 9:02 am

I received my email from Stan yesterday and rolled over to Genii. I was already a long time subscriber to Genii so this will extend my subscription - plus I get 3 free issues. Great offer.

sneruda
Favorite Magician: P&T

Postby sneruda » October 26th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Add me to the list of people saying this is an utterly fantastic idea, and a real example of a win-win. Thanks for making it happen.

SN
...and we both know what memories bring, they bring diamonds and rust...

magicrobharv

Postby magicrobharv » October 26th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Thank you Richard and Stan. I bought into the Magic Legacy offer and was kind of bummed out when it got cancelled. It's a no-brainer to roll over Magic Magazine issues into my Genii magazine subscription. I still wish there was some way Mike Bent could have his column continued. It's my favorite non-Genii column. I know you're not supposed to mention politics on the message board ---- but --- Richard and Stan for President !!!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Stan and I always worked very well together. Our problem was who would be president, and who would get stuck as vice president. :)

Return to “Buzz”