The November Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and In the Mail!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The November Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and In the Mail!

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2016, 6:42 pm

The November Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and in the Mail

In exactly a year the greatest magicians in the world will gather in Orlando, Florida for Genii’s third convention on October 4, 5, 6, 7 with workshops on the 8th. We’ll have over 20 artists performing and lecturing. More magic than you can imagine! Register today at a price $100 lower than that of MAGIC Live, at http://www.geniiconvention.com. And now to our latest issue.

Education in the field of magic used to occur mostly through socializing at the local magic shop, socializing at the local magic club meetings, or in private lessons. Most magic shops are gone and most magic club meetings have far fewer members than they used to. Last month we featured the Magic and Mystery School, which is located in Las Vegas and run by Jeff McBride and cohorts. It will give you a good education as a performer, but it’s not accredited as a university. In Sweden, Johan Stahl and Tom Stone are running a magic university as part of an already-existing college program for which you receive academic credit, and there’s no charge for any students who come from a country within the European Union. Dr. Will Houstoun, editor of The Magic Circular’s monthly magazine, took a trip to Sweden just to tell us all about it. There are sidebars from both Tom Stone and Matt Field, and three tricks which some dope (ahem) titled “Sweets from the Swedes” written exclusively for Genii by Andi Gladwin. “Sweets from the Swedes” … it’s almost as good as Sankey Panky!

I’ve written my annual article about Tenyo’s eight new releases (double the number they’ve put out in recent years): four “regular” tricks—all very effective, and So Sato’s “Magic Maze” will bamboozle you good—and four tricks in the new “Super Mentalism” line. All eight will make a fine addition to your collection and are fun to perform.

Then, Dustin Stinett takes us to “The Magic Play,” a new theatrical piece presented at the famous The Goodman Theater in Chicago. Actor/magician Brett Schneider warmed up for the play by working at The Magic Castle for a week earlier this year. If you’re near Chicago in the next few weeks, try to get tickets! The play will come to Maryland next year.

We have some great new things starting in January. Best-selling author John Bannon will join us with a new column on card magic, Mike Caveney will bring his column “Classic Correspondence” to Genii, as will Martin Lewis with his column “Making Magic.” These were among the most popular columns in MAGIC magazine and I’m very pleased to bring them to you in Genii starting in a few months. This month, right here in these very pages, we have some terrific columns: Todd Karr tells all in “The Eye,” John Gaughan explains yet another Rube Goldbergian any-card-named Card Rise in “Chamber of Secrets,” David Kaye teaches you about The Verbal Challenge in “The Expert at the Kids’ Table,” Kainoa Harbottle almost publishes a trick in “By Means of Metal,” Jeff Prace most definitely publishes a leaden trick in “Left-Handed,” the recently betrothed Daniel Ulin manages to squeak in yet another “Knights at The Magic Castle” before going on his honeymoon, and John Guastaferro begins what I hope will be a long stint as editor of “Magicana” with three terrific tricks for his debut. In Light from the Lamp, Tom Frame joins our staff this month reviewing books in rotation with John Lovick, Kainoa Harbottle, and David Britland. Joe M. Turner does the videos this month, David Oliver the tricks, and that’s another issue out the door.

http://www.geniimagazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Re: The November Issue of Genii is Now Live Online and In the Mail!

Postby Bill Mullins » October 22nd, 2016, 1:09 pm

If the manuscript is the book I'm thinking it might be, it will really be a good one.

I'd really like to see a performance of Axel Adlercreutz's "Ourobouros". From Robert Heinlein's novel, Glory Road:

But it was a stalemate and one that we were bound to lose in time. Igli outweighed all of us put together and seemed to be nothing but muscle and stink and nails and teeth. We were suffering bruises, contusions, and flesh wounds—and we weren’t doing Igli any damage, Oh, he screamed like a TV grunt & groaner every time one of us twisted an ear or bent back a finger, but we weren’t really hurting him and he was decidedly hurting us. There wasn’t a chance of dragging that hulk into the water.

I had started with my arms around his knees and I stayed that way, of necessity, as long as I could, while Star tried to weigh down one of his arms and Rufo the other. But the situation was fluid; Igli thrashed like a rattler with its back broken and was forever getting one limb or another free and trying to gouge and bite. It got us into odd positions and I found myself hanging onto one callused foot, trying to twist it off, while I stared into his open mouth, wide as a bear trap and less appetizing. His teeth needed cleaning.

So I shoved the toe of his foot into his mouth.

Igli screamed, so I kept on shoving, and pretty soon he didn’t have room to scream. I kept on pushing. When he had swallowed his own left leg up to the knee, be managed to wrench his right arm loose from Star and grabbed at his disappearing leg—and I grabbed his wrist. “Help me!” I yelped to Star. “Push!”

She got the idea and shoved with me. That arm went into his mouth to the elbow and the leg went farther in, quite a bit of the thigh. By, then Rufo was working with us and forced Igli’s left hand in past his cheek and into the jaws. Igli wasn’t struggling so hard by then, short on air probably, so getting the toe of his right foot started into his mouth simply required determination, with Rufo hauling back on his hairy nostrils while I bore down with a Knee on his chin and Star pushed.

We kept on feeding him into his mouth, gaining an inch at a time and never letting up. He was still quivering and trying to get loose when we had him rolled up clear to his hips, and his rank armpits about to disappear.

It was like rolling a snowball in reverse; the more we pushed, the smaller he got and the more his mouth stretched—ugliest sight I ever have seen. Soon he was down to the size of a medicine ball…and then a soccer ball…then a baseball and I rolled him between my palms and kept pushing, hard.

A golf ball, a marble, a pea…and finally there was nothing but some dirty grease on my hands.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » October 22nd, 2016, 3:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:In Sweden, Johan Stahl and Tom Stone are running a magic university as part of an already-existing college program for which you receive academic credit,...

Question to Tom and Johan: Since this is a university program, will we see articles, papers, studies or other original work coming out of this program? In other words, are the students required to do original and creative work and document it, to receive credit for this class?
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 23rd, 2016, 7:41 am

Bill Mullins wrote:I'd really like to see a performance of Axel Adlercreutz's "Ourobouros".

He just told me he found an old videoclip with it. I'll post it here if he decides to put it on youtube.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 23rd, 2016, 7:46 am

lybrary wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:In Sweden, Johan Stahl and Tom Stone are running a magic university as part of an already-existing college program for which you receive academic credit,...

Question to Tom and Johan: Since this is a university program, will we see articles, papers, studies or other original work coming out of this program? In other words, are the students required to do original and creative work and document it, to receive credit for this class?

Yes that's the idea. These pilot trials have been successful, and at the moment we are working to make it into something more substantial, we're aiming for a 3 year Bachelor's degree, but we are not sure where it will land.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 23rd, 2016, 12:31 pm

Tom, it would be great if he could post it.

Your article mentioned the reverse steering wheel bicycle. I presume you are talking about Destin Sandlin's "Smarter Every Day" videos. Destin works at the same Army base that I do. He's done other videos that may be of interest to magicians. One is about Prince Rupert's drops. Another about how Houdini died (and in the small world department, the surgeon with whom he speaks in that one, Dr. James Gilbert, is the one who did my son's surgery).

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 23rd, 2016, 12:54 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Tom, it would be great if he could post it.

Your article mentioned the reverse steering wheel bicycle. I presume you are talking about Destin Sandlin's "Smarter Every Day" videos. Destin works at the same Army base that I do.

Haha, small world! Yes, it is the one!

Return to “Buzz”