No New Magic Tricks In Genii!

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

No New Magic Tricks In Genii!

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2004, 9:23 pm

First of all, let me preface this diatribe by stating: "I prefer Genii to any other magic related magazine on the market". The reasons for this can be plainly seen in each of the last plethora of incredible issues past; but my reason for writing this is: WHERE'S THE MAGIC TRICKS?
I could not find one trick that was explained in this whole issue and I must admit: I am a trick slut, i.e. one who loves to see the mysteries of magic exposed within a forum as to allow its explanation to be further utilized in the fooling and trickey of either laymen or magi.
Ian Rowland led us on the scent to some amazing secrets, and that was greatly appreciated, but for the most part I felt like I was being treated to one big nostalgic advertisement. I say nostalgic due to the cover story: I never knew the Incredible Hulk, or should I say "David Banner" performed magic. I can hear the comic book character screaming "HULK MAKE BIRD APPEAR" as he ripped the cover from his dove pan.

Please Richard...keep up the good work.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: No New Magic Tricks In Genii!

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 13th, 2004, 9:57 pm

Roberto Giobbi ("The Genii Session") has a "New Look at Vice-Versa" on page 18.

Dustin

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 13th, 2004, 10:09 pm

There are a lot of tricks in the ads. And besides that, I haven't mastered the stuff in the Dingle and/or Cervon issue yet :cool:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 14th, 2004, 8:47 am

Aron, you're absolutely correct: there were almost no tricks in that issue, and it's something I'm not pleased about (and entirely my own fault).
My time has become even more stretched and limited in recent months, and getting a full Magicana done has become extremely difficult.
There are three card items and an illusion in the December issue.
I'll try to do better.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » October 14th, 2004, 4:52 pm

Aron, tone is very hard to project in message boards like this, so I'm not quite sure what tone you're trying to project and so I won't try to infer one :) . Neither should you try to infer one from what I'm about to say :)

So you didn't know that Bill Bixby had played a magician in a TV series, one that also featured Mark Wilson, Dai Vernon, and many others. Well, consider yourself fortunate to have been educated by the magic of Genii :) .

Seriously, I don't look to Genii to learn new tricks, though I recognise that others do and that it's in Richard K's best interests to have tricks as that sells issues. But good solid history with facts is worth quite a lot in furthering any art. Without history, what do you have?

Jim Snapp

Postby Jim Snapp » October 18th, 2004, 2:04 pm

Hi all;
I have been a Genii subscriber for a long time, and since Richard took over they are arriving in my mailbox so quickly that I can't keep up. (Ahh, for the good old days when you never knew if it would be a month, two months or whatever between issues! ((Just kidding!)) )
I'm thankful that this issue was full of articles that you could digest and enjoy without stopping to pick find a deck of cards or a coin. Most of us already have more magic trick info than we can possible ever learn or perform. Thanks for the break!

Magically,
Jim

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2004, 2:42 pm

I'll add my encouragement for more magic tricks in GENII, but not with a frown! I deeply appreciate the very new face of GENII and praise it highly. It's a terrific magizine! But there are lots of us who look forward to new tricks in each new issue (as the first thing we turn to), so I join the others with that same interest! Thanks for the ongoing great work, Richard!

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 10:27 am

Richard,

I can understand that getting Genii on the rack earlier than Magic will result in more point-of-purchase sales, however, please don't let your rush to publish cause the literary quality of the magazine to suffer. You're better than that.

You're going to "loose" someone, Richard?

And Dustin, they were in the 'throes', not the 'throws'.

C'mon, guys, five minutes of proofreading is all we ask.

~H

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2004, 10:39 am

Genii is never rushed to press. Each issues gets a full 30 days of layout and proof reading. That doesn't mean the editors and proof-readers don't get tired and allow errors to slip through. It has happened in the past and will continue to happen in the future. Unless someone who is an expert proof reader is willing to read 70 pages each month within three days for no compensation, things will remain as they are.
Genii is essentially put together by two people--that's all. Our staff is as large as we can afford to make it. Larger magazines with more people on staff will have fewer errors. We don't have that luxury.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 19th, 2004, 10:47 am

I was Editor in chief of a car magazine. We had a good size staff (some shared with other magazines under the same ownership) including a full tim, that's all he did, PROOF READER.

We still had the occasional typo... can't be helped.

However, as we had a good size staff... the bottom line was 'YOU'RE ALL FIRED' the big boss said one day, 'Can't afford to keep losing money.'

So... live with whatchagot folks. :genii:

Magic is NOT a huge consumver market where the number of sales warrant a lot of paid staff.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 12:00 pm

Unless someone who is an expert proof reader is willing to read 70 pages each month within three days for no compensation, things will remain as they are.>>>

Fair enough. Email the copy and I'll proof it for word usage and spelling. N/C because I love the subject, but object to sloppiness because it begets more sloppiness. Syntax and grammar I'll leave alone, as it's frequently a deliberate matter of style.

~H

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 19th, 2004, 12:00 pm

No excuses, but:

Im pretty sure Richard meant to say something along the lines that I was loose.

:eek:

I always believed that throe generally meant a struggle that leads to a collapse (such as Genii is in the throes of literary collapse) vs. an opening throw, such as the beginning of a game or season destined for (hopefully) success. I had no idea that, during all the years I played baseball and caught the opening throw of the season, I was actually catching the opening throe. But what do I know? I aint got no good book learnin no how, so I probably am wrong to have used the phrase to begin withsorry! (And its not the most current mistaken use of phraseology I have made: chances are good that there are more to come, too.) My proofreader (the college edumacated one of the family) missed that one too! I need a better proofreader! Time for that divorce I guess (or maybe I should pay her..nahhhhhh).

The other error we missed (in the Magician piece) is a must where there should have been a most (or the other way aroundregardless; its wrong). Bottom line: Stuff Happens. A handful of words and phrases out of tens of thousands of words aint half bad given, as Richard said, the size of the staff.

And while were bitching about spelling, Richard, how long has the Stanley Collins book been availible?*

Dustin

*Thank Andy and one of his readers at TMCJ for catching that onealong with the loose thingbut they did miss the throe thing, and the must thing!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 19th, 2004, 12:14 pm

Originally posted by NoBunniesEver:
Email the copy and I'll proof it for word usage and spelling. N/C...

~H
Careful what you wish for!!!

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 12:56 pm

Careful what you wish for!!! >>>

Happy to help in any way. BTW, congrats on taking on new writing responsibilities.

~H

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2004, 4:19 pm

Richard shows such grace; it's very refreshing.

:cool:

Return to “Feature Articles”