Norman Beck's Column in Oct MUM: Opinions?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Norman Beck's Column in Oct MUM: Opinions?

Postby erdnasephile » October 6th, 2016, 8:20 pm

One of the first things I read in MUM each month is Norman Beck's column. I enjoy his writings very much, and there is much wisdom to be found in his column.

In the October, 2016 issue, he has a piece entitled, "No Autographs -- Please" where he argues against asking famous magicians for autographs in certain settings because it is discourteous. But then he goes on to question: "Why get an autograph in the first place?" He opines further: "...the minute you ask for an autograph you put yourself in the rank of being a fan...For some unknown reason, people think that a signature matters. The only place it matters to me is at the bottom of a check." (I realize I am not doing Mr. Beck's article justice. I'm trying to summarize it in a couple of sentences for discussion purposes--it is not my intent to misrepresent what was written. Therefore, I would highly recommend reading the original in MUM.)

I totally agree that it is inappropriate to bother celebrities (magic or otherwise) for autographs when they are in social settings or out with their families. I also think asking for multiple autographs with intent to sell is not cool--unless you are paying the celebrity for their signature.

However, I view politely asking for an single autograph in an appropriate venue as a bit of a compliment towards the person I am asking. I really don't see how that belittles me. I realize it's a pain to sign for amateurs, and therefore, I respect and accept a magic celebrity's right to decline. However, I've always been grateful to those who have done so without making me feel small (which is about 99.99% of the pros I've interacted with).

Finally, Mr. Beck makes the point several times that famous people like being treated like a normal person. While I agree that some celebrities do, I and my colleagues have personally taken care of more than a few celebrities, and they are as individual as you and me. Some seem to eschew special treatment, while others floridly demand it (and probably complain to their friends later that they just want to be treated like everyone else).

Anyway, the column is a thought provoking piece, and I'd be curious what you think.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Norman Beck's Column in Oct MUM: Opinions?

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 6th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Great post Erdnasephile! In certain circumstances, I believe the celebrity or pro should sign requested autographs. If the autograph is respectfully requested at a good moment, it shouldn't diminish the fan. Asking for an autograph when the star is at the dinner table is not appropriate.

In conventions where the celebrity is part of the attraction, there is usually a table where the star signs autographs for fans waiting in line who paid for the entrance fee or the photo. At the Congress of Blunders, Ricky Jay refused to sign autographs for the attendees that paid a handsome fee just to meet him. That is inappropriate behavior.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 6th, 2016, 9:59 pm

"The minute you ask for an autograph you put yourself in the rank of being a fan..."

What's wrong with being a fan?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 6th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Nothing
And many people charge for autographs in the real world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 7th, 2016, 5:17 am

A lot of rock groups charge big money for a "meet and greet." Usually a quick pic, autograph, and not a lot of meeting for the same price as the concert ticket.

performer

Postby performer » October 7th, 2016, 6:32 am

I suspect a lot of celebrities LOVE people to ask for their autographs! That is why they went into show business in the first place! I am sure you can have too much of a good thing on occasion but by and large celebrities are as insecure as anyone else and I suspect many are disappointed if nobody asks for their autograph. They WANT to be recognised!

But I suppose it all depends on the individual celebrity. I do know of a few who prefer their anonymity. However, they tend to be non show business people.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 7th, 2016, 7:10 am

I think the thing I try to remember is that when someone signs, they are doing me a favor (and are under absolutely no obligation to do so). To be honest, most of the time, I don't want anything other than to tell them I admire and have studied their work. There are some magic celebs I missed out on meeting because they always seemed to be talking with someone, and I just refused to interrupt them.

One thing I do wish some magic celebs would consider though: while fans can be annoying, to us, you are Vernon, Miller, and Skinner. It's a bummer to be verbally crushed by one of your heroes, especially when you are a kid. (As an aside: Magic fanboys should also recognize this--don't crowd those kids out of the way in your haste to get those lecture notes signed!) Then again, everyone has bad days, so in the very, very few times I've been snubbed by a magic celeb, I've chosen to believe I caught them on one of theirs.

The nice thing is: courtesy and respect usually goes both ways.

performer

Postby performer » October 7th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Oh, MAGIC celebrities? They aren't really celebrities! As I have remarked in the past being well known in the magic community is on a par with being well known in your apartment building!

It is true about magic celebrities crushing their fans image of them. I have seen it several times. I have even seen it happen when a young kid approaches one of these "celebrities" and is treated very nicely but comes back several years later expecting the same reaction but gets rudely brushed aside because they are unrecognised.

I suppose I am a sort of magic celebrity but I am rude to everyone anyway so nobody is offended when I am rude to them in person because they expect it anyway. It is actually a shock to them if I am nice to them which I can assure you happens very rarely indeed and even if it does it only lasts for about two minutes.

Mind you, I still remember one chap that I knew years ago. He was a layman but happened to be a massive fan of Tommy Cooper who WAS a celebrity. A REAL celebrity that was recognised in the street and a household name in Britain. He had pictures of Tommy Cooper all over his wall and followed every mention of him in the press and watched his every appearance live and on TV when he had the chance. However, he had never met him.

One day he was driving somewhere and stopped at a traffic light. Lo and behold he looked at the car beside him and who was in it but his idol Tommy Cooper. Alas he got so excited by this that he banged on his window yelling "Tommy, Tommy!" to get his hero's attention. Alas he did but not in quite the way he expected. Tommy wound his window down to talk to his excited fan and the chap did the same. Tommy yelled back at him giving him a very rude sign with his fingers saying two words the second of which was "off" and drove off angrily.

The moral of the tale is to be careful how you treat your idols. They may have feet of clay.

Gregory Schultz

Postby Gregory Schultz » October 7th, 2016, 5:56 pm

I have been collecting magicians autographs for about 43 years. Mostly when I was a kid. I never had a magician ever be less than kind to me. I asked Marvyn Roy for his autograph when he was with Liberace. I was 14, he took me backstage and actually treated me like I knew what I was doing. I didn't, he is just a great human. That is one the best events of my life.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 7th, 2016, 6:55 pm

I feel sorry for the dude in the Tommy Cooper story.

That's cool about Mr. Roy--I've always read that he's a good guy.

To one of Mr. Beck's points: For those of you who collect autographs: Why do you do it? Why do autographs have meaning to you?

performer

Postby performer » October 7th, 2016, 9:55 pm

I sometimes get requests in the mail to sign a playing card and send it back. They offer to send a stamped envelope forgetting that Canada is a foreign country where they don't use American stamps. So I have to pay for the bloody stamp myself. I don't mind signing a playing card as I have a ton of loose cards lying about but I have never quite figured out what the appeal is. I suppose I should suspend my cynicism and be flattered.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 8th, 2016, 6:59 am

October's M-U-M arrived in the post yesterday here in the U.K. and I had a chance to read Norman Beck's column. I read it every month and usually find it opinionated (which is fine) and preachy (which is not). Mr. Beck often relates how he manipulates people and situations to get what he wants, often perks, and he disparages people who don't follow his beliefs on proper decorum or behaviour.

I don't know Mr. Beck personally, have never seen him perform or had a discussion with him. In the M-U-M column this month, as others have noted, he goes on about people asking for autographs or photos. Why this is worthy of a half page in a magazine I respect is puzzling. Who cares?

People ask for autographs often to provide tangible evidence of the occasion of the meeting. For some it is a prize, a kind of shamanic possession of part of the spirit of someone who is admired.

In my career as a radio executive and program host I had the opportunity to meet many famous people, from Leonard Bernstein to Beverly Sills and, while I never asked any of them for an autograph, I saw them asked by others many times and they always complied, considering it part of being a celebrity.

Mr. Beck sees it as lowering the status of the person asking for the autograph to that of merely a fan. Is this something to be shunned?

I certainly do not condone annoying a "star" when they're having a meal or in conversation with someone. But being asked for an autograph is a form of love. My friend Richard Kaufman once gave me a signed copy of one of Vernon's "Inner Secrets" books because, he said, he felt I should have a Vernon autograph on my bookshelf. I treasure the volume, along with the other signed books I own.

I'll never ask for Norman Beck's autograph, and have never paid attention to the personal advice he's meted out. I don't begrudge him his right to speak his mind, I'm just startled by the hubris he shows when he does so.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2016, 8:03 am

Well said, Matt. You should write more for Genii. :)

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 8th, 2016, 12:41 pm

I've noticed a lot of magicians want to be thought of as an equal to the famous magician and that it's uncool to ask a fellow magician for an autograph. I've even seen smirks on some people's face when I made it apparent I wanted an autograph or picture from someone at a convention. Whatever. Just because you don't seek an autograph or act like a 'fan,' that doesn't mean the famous person will ever think of you as an equal. It's a self-delusion.

I got several autographs and pictures with performers I admired at the first Genii Bash, everyone was nice and willing. If that lowers me to a fan in Tom Stone or Juan Tamariz's eyes, they are correct, I am a fan.

Norman Beck is probably annoyed that he can walk through a convention and never be recognized.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » October 8th, 2016, 12:53 pm

I remember watching on when Matthew grabbed a photo with Lubor Fiedler in London.

Very cool!

I prefer to go through life with memories not autographs/photographs. But I think it is cool for those people who want a memento after meeting somebody.

Imagine you had a photo with Houdini? That would be cool. And a photo alongside Lubor Fiedler will be just as impressive one day.

Although Matthew will be dead by then.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » October 8th, 2016, 3:15 pm

I'm already half dead now, Joe. And thank you for the kind words, Richard. Maybe I'll write a sidebar for the Genii some day, like November.

Matt Field

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 8th, 2016, 5:03 pm

The best way to ask for an autograph is to ask the person to sign their book, which you have bought and paid for.

As for celebrities, Billy McComb told me that he was often introduced to celebrities in The Magic Castle, and he wouldn't have a clue who they were. And, of course, Billy treated everyone the same and just chatted to them. Many of these people would be delighted to be treated as a "normal" punter, and equally many would be upset, "Doesn't he know who I am?"

And to add to Matt's point, many articles in magic magazines have little to do directly with magic, but a monthly columnist has to think up something to say. (Frequently these can be the most interesting articles).

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » October 8th, 2016, 5:36 pm

It was so cool meeting up with Matthew in London.

He is such a swell guy!

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » October 9th, 2016, 3:08 am

Garsh, Joe. Thanks for the kind words.

Matt Field

performer

Postby performer » October 9th, 2016, 7:01 am

Even when I was a kid doing magic I have never understood this autograph hunting of magicians. I never met a magician for the first two years of my study and I thank God every day for it otherwise I would have ended up as crap as they were because of their bad influence. I did read a book by Harry Baron in the library and when I first met him I thought "This is THE Harry Baron" but it didn't last long. I suppose I was a bit in awe to be coached by David Berglas for one evening when I was about 16 years old but even then I had no desire for his autograph.

I think the reason for this lack of enthusiasm was because I lived in London. I would meet several magic "celebrities" a day and it was a very common thing. It was so common that I just took it for granted. Oh, and so did everyone else my age. I never saw a single young magician ask for a so called "celebrity" magician's autograph. Not even once. That is because we were surrounded by them all the time.

Besides they weren't REAL celebrities anyway. They were what Paul Daniels described to me as "magazine heroes". Just well known in the world of magic but outside that world nobody had ever heard of them. I got to know a few of them and many of them didn't have two pennies to rub together. I have no idea why I would even want their autographs anyway.

But yet I realise some people do collect autographs of magicians. I see no harm in it and if someone is daft enough to ask for an autograph then I bloody well give it to them. And so should any other magician with as much courtesy as they can muster. A refusal or a brush off seems downright crass to me.

I have utterly no idea who Norman Beck is but I quite like the sound of him. If I ever come across him I think for the first time in my life I will ask for HIS autograph!

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 9th, 2016, 11:03 am

erdnasephile asks why we collect autographs. I was just old enough to drive when I drove across the state to a big convention and my first time of seeing magic live. The first lecture was Frank Garcia and I bought his notes, another attendee told me I should get my notes autographed and that's what started me. It gives you a few seconds to tell the person that you appreciate their work, lecture, or book and for me it creates a more vivid memory. I only ask people that I genuinely enjoy their work. The most gracious... Ron Wilson, he made me sit down and talk for half an hour, Bob Read also, very nice guy. Most persnickety goes to Don Alan, but he still signed. I guess we could ask Richard K what he thinks?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 9th, 2016, 2:12 pm

The Chief Genii autographed my copy of The Collected Almanac when I purchased it at Barry's Magic many years ago. If you purchase a book and the author happens to be standing right next to you, well, what the heck. An autograph alone isn't enough for me. I prefer to have the signature on a photograph or in a book. Years ago Norm Nielsen kindly sent me an autographed photo as did Jonathan Neal Brown after I requested them.

performer

Postby performer » October 9th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Interestingly enough I do remember a magician who detested signing autographs. His name was Paul Clive and he wrote a classic book on Card Tricks that is better known in the UK because it was never published in North America. It was entitled "Card Tricks Without Skill" and some of you may have read it. An excellent book despite the fact that Paul knew little about card tricks. One of his friends told me, "Paul? Card Tricks? I have known Paul for 30 years and I have never seen him do a card trick in his life". It seems he ran around with a notebook asking everyone he knew if they had a card trick he could put in his book. It became a classic.

He had a magic shop on Central Pier and later on North Pier in Blackpool and of course sold his book in the shop. He would never tell people he was the author because he knew they would ask him to sign the book. The only exception was when his wife was around who would give the game away and insist he autograph the book for the customer which he reluctantly did.

I also sold magic books in Blackpool. I found it helped sales if I signed the book on the author's behalf. Naturally I didn't tell the customer that it was me that did it. After all Blackpool is a very wicked place.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 10th, 2016, 2:52 am

It's my feeling that if a customer has spent his hard-earned money on a book I've written, I am more than pleased to sign it if requested, and to pose for photographs.

Why not?

There are celebrities in the real world who refuse or refused to do that: Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were among the most well-known refusers. That's their business.

I can only tell you how I feel about my customers: I owe it to them to sign if they request it.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 10th, 2016, 11:07 am

The only time I would ask a magician or any celebrity to sign an autograph is when purchasing a book or something similar. I believe it is unpardonably rude to go up to a person who is enjoying a meal at a restaurant or otherwise enjoying private time and ask him/her to sign something. I once chanced upon Elvis Presley along with a girlfriend on their way to his Bel Air home. I did not jump out of my car and rush over to his to ask for an autograph. The two bodyguards in the car behind his might not have appreciated it, either.

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » October 10th, 2016, 11:54 am

A slightly different view on celebrity and autographs: I just happened to be good friends with a very famous rock star (with a slightly redish name) and have observed her interactions with fans and those requesting autographs. I agree with all the comments about not bothering them with requests when they are with family and dining, etc. However, what I have seen over some time is that the status of a person's relationship with that star changes when they ask for a picture or autograph. You move from the friend or equal status to that of a "fan" and that changes the relationship as you now have a relationship based on their status in the rock world and not as a social acquaintance or fellow entertainer. This is the same reason I won't work a paid gig for that person as I would now be an employee rather than a valued friend and the tone of the relationship would change.

Terry

Postby Terry » October 10th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Paul Newman explained why he stopped signing autographs - he was standing at a urinal taking care of business when a guy walked up and asked for an autograph right there. Inappropriate to say the least.

Elvis Presley never refused to sign an autograph or pose for a picture. His attitude was one of gratitude for the fans who supported him. He was fond of saying, "That house I live in, the fans paid for it."

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 10th, 2016, 5:43 pm

When I was a teenager, at a local convention, the organizer produced a stamp album with the photos of every attendant interested on pay for printing his stamp. There was the first time I asked for some autographs, to some magicians I didn't known before but impresed me his work at the convention.
Several years after, at a club and some conventions I begining to see lectures with magicians that I was watched only on tv like Max Maven. For me was remote the idea to see him again, so you bet, I asked him for an autograph and a photo.
When Chen Kai bought to Mexico Jonathan Pendragon, was a dream done true: too meet one of my magic idols, talk with him, see him perform live, hear a lecture .... and have a photo and an autograph.
Then I attended some conventions in the USA so I could see live more and more of the magicians I have admired as a teenager, a lot of them I first heard of in World's Greates Magic tv shows. All of them have been very friendly with me.
Sometimes I ask for a signed card (I have an Aladdin deck that use only for autographs) some times I ask for a sign over a Genii or Magic Magazine where they are on the cover, but I prefer to ask for a signature on their books. Not always it's possible, if I'm traveling abroad I simply can't carrying the hardcover books.
I remember specailly when at SAM Convention in Las Vegas 2012, my first trip to USA, I was checking books at Andy Graget booth (maybe I misremember the last name) turned to my side and looked just besides me Mac King. I talked with him, asked for an autograph and a photo and he kindly accepted. When I said I watch his work for first time in World's Greater Magic he said "oh, sure you was a very little boy then" (not so little really)
At Genii Bash I approached the table where was Michael Ammar (those tables specially set to chat, he was not dinning) he said me "Do you want a photo? Do a trick" and put a deck of cards on front of me. Intimidating, but fair. Recently I see him again at Enigma in Monterrey, Mexico, a convention with maybe 100 attendatns, Mr Ammar was pleased to chat, possed for photos and give autographs. As there was a small convention compared with that on USA everybody could chat with him easily. Rob Zabrecky was other magician that worked at Enigma and not only gave autographs, he drawn different things for each person, always in the spirit of Odd Man.
Of course, Richard Kaufman has signed each book I have asked.

As a side note, several years ago, I was invited by a friend to a Star Wars convention here in Mexico. My friend gave me a costume of Imperial Guard (that red guards with tunics and a elonged helmet) I was walking at the convention center and some kids asked me for an autograph, what to do? I gave autographs "from your frind, the imperial guard" as there was some actors in the convenciont, the kids amazed by the fact I speaked spanish. I stayed around 20 minutes signing autographs. One day the kids would discover that the "imperial guard" was not the original, but I'm sure at that moment I done their day.

In magic, maybe is just some ink over a paper, but to has a signature of our magic idols done our day.
Andres Reynoso

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 10th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Certainly, there is a time and a place for everything, but if a magician is at a convention or lecture, selling his or her wares, and someone buys the notes, books, or DVDs of the magician, it seems downright churlish to refuse to sign them.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 10th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Ralph Mackintosh wrote:A slightly different view on celebrity and autographs: I just happened to be good friends with a very famous rock star (with a slightly redish name) and have observed her interactions with fans and those requesting autographs. I agree with all the comments about not bothering them with requests when they are with family and dining, etc. However, what I have seen over some time is that the status of a person's relationship with that star changes when they ask for a picture or autograph. You move from the friend or equal status to that of a "fan" and that changes the relationship as you now have a relationship based on their status in the rock world and not as a social acquaintance or fellow entertainer. This is the same reason I won't work a paid gig for that person as I would now be an employee rather than a valued friend and the tone of the relationship would change.

Thanks for the interesting take. I'm pretty sure this is the sentiment that Mr. Beck was trying to convey in his "fan" comments. It does make sense in that I'm pretty sure magic pros don't sit around swapping autographs, any more than I would with my professional peers.

However, as I was thinking about this, there are a few very prominent events where professionals gleefully trade autographs with each other. During the MLB All Star Game and the NFL Pro Bowl, the players freely swap autographs and memorabilia. In interviews I've seen, they seem to genuinely enjoy this. It sure didn't seem like any of them felt lowered in "rank" when they were acting like fans of each other.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 11th, 2016, 12:30 am

were they fans of each other or just spreading the eBay love around?

performer

Postby performer » October 11th, 2016, 7:11 am

Many, many years ago I was appearing on a national television programme quite regularly. The sort of venue where one gets very well known and autographs are asked for. All I could seem to get were letters of complaints from people that had purchased sub standard quality svengali decks from me all over the country. They now knew where to find me but that is another story.

Anyway whenever I left the TV studios I would see other people on the show leaving too and there were always people outside asking for their autographs. I used to get mildly irritated that nobody even gave me a glance let alone ask for my autograph.
One day there was a popular pop group band of the time appearing on the show and when I left the studio with them they were besieged by autograph hunters and they all ignored me as usual. I was absolutely furious that an artist of my great stature was being so studiously ignored and I walked to the Tube station in a state of great irritation over the matter. My not so humble disposition could take it no more and I decided to return to the studio under the pretext of forgetting something and then leave again to have another go. I was ignored on the way in but to my great joy when I left people did ask for my autograph. It was a wonderful victory.

I do remember becoming famous overnight in Ireland when I went on television there on Ireland's leading talk show. I just showed up and did some card tricks. To my great delight the local magicians were furious about it and overcome with insane jealousy. I was taken a bit by surprise by their attitude but of course the Irish tend to be terrible begrudgers to those of a superior talent. I was astonished for an entire week afterwards to be recognised in the street wherever I went and autographs asked galore. The trouble was that I had to sell svengalis in Ireland that week in another part of the country but since the show had been broadcast all over Ireland no matter where I travelled to I was recognised.

It cramped my style dreadfully. When I sell svengali decks I am like the devil incarnate, nasty and unpleasant. And in fact in those days I was even far worse than I am now. But when I performed on TV I was the nice charming magician. I didn't know what to do when I was selling the cards now that everyone knew who I was. I alternated between trying to be nice and being my normal nasty self. The promoter of the venue asked what the hell the matter was with me. I told him I was worried about my "image". He snorted, "stop worrying about your image, This is your bread and butter" and shocked me back to reality. I then went back to my usual nasty self which was far more suitable for ripping off the public in the manner they deserved.

I left Ireland a week later. I suspect if I had stayed a bit longer the fame would have gone on for a couple of weeks more.

Some years later I returned there and did become very famous indeed as a psychic reader and astrologer with masses of newspaper and media publicity. But nobody asked me for my autograph so that was the end of that.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 11th, 2016, 7:19 am

Brad Henderson wrote:were they fans of each other or just spreading the eBay love around?

I thought that might be the case (and perhaps it was for some of them).

However, as I recall, out of those they interviewed, some were getting things signed for their charities, but most were openly admitting they were fans of each other. Many were thrilled they were meeting stars they had admired for years (i.e., Jeter, Ripken, Jr., etc.)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 11th, 2016, 9:43 am

erdnasephile wrote: Many were thrilled they were meeting stars they had admired for years (i.e., Jeter, Ripken, Jr., etc.)

I used to watch Cal Ripken Jr play minor league ball.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 11th, 2016, 3:37 pm

That's awesome, Bill!

(Sadly, only one of my boyhood sports heroes ever signed for me...)

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 11th, 2016, 4:38 pm

erdnasephile wrote:(Sadly, only one of my boyhood sports heroes ever signed for me...)

Sadly? You got Nordberg's autograph before he became Nordberg! (And IIRC, before he became something else ...)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 11th, 2016, 5:16 pm

brianarudolph wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:(Sadly, only one of my boyhood sports heroes ever signed for me...)

Sadly? You got Nordberg's autograph before he became Nordberg! (And IIRC, before he became something else ...)

Yessir...before his unsavory future, he was one of my favorite players.

I used to send cards in the mail with a SASE, and he was the only one who signed and returned my card. (Curse you, Fran Tarkenton!) ;)
Last edited by erdnasephile on October 11th, 2016, 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 11th, 2016, 5:16 pm

A couple of other autograph stories, if anyone cares.

Return to “Buzz”