Harry Lorayne and The Magic Circle Award

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Harry Lorayne and The Magic Circle Award

Postby Q. Kumber » September 23rd, 2016, 4:32 am

The John Nevil Maskelyne Prize winner for 2016 is Harry Lorayne for his literary contributions to magic.

Other recipients are
The David Devant Award
Awarded to those who have made a significant contribution in advancing the art of magic or who have given outstanding service to magic
internationally.
Winner: Lance Burton

The Maskelyne Award
Awarded for services to British magic.
Winner: Dynamo

The Carlton Award
Given to a performer for outstanding comedy in magic.
John Lenahan

The Cecil Lyle Award
Given to the author of the best trick published in The Magic Circular during the past year.
Winner: Katherine Rhodes

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Harry Lorayne and The Magic Circle Award

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 23rd, 2016, 12:37 pm

I thought John Lenahan got kicked out of the Circle for doing the series Stuff the White Rabbit?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 23rd, 2016, 1:30 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I thought John Lenahan got kicked out of the Circle for doing the series Stuff the White Rabbit?

Apparently, it was for showing the 3 card monte in another kind of show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lenahan

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » September 23rd, 2016, 1:49 pm

Yeah - he got kicked out for a show on the BBC called 'How Do They Do That?' in which different questions were answered each week.

John was on there discussing gambling techniques and a silly trick involving phone hacking to find a selected card.

As usual - The Magic Circle overreacted and kicked him out. I think the publicity from that helped him get him the gig presenting Stuff The White Rabbit.

Richard - did you ever see that magic series? Close-up magic on TV has never had a better venue than that show.

Jerry Sadowitz, John Lenahan, Rene Lavand, David Williamson, Tom Mullica and Chris Power doing brilliant magic each week.

Wonderful show. Shame it is not around online.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 23rd, 2016, 2:03 pm

I had no idea the Magic Circle was still kicking people out for exposure. I thought that sort of thing stopped with Pat Page. Does anyone know how many people over the years have been expelled for this?

performer

Postby performer » September 23rd, 2016, 2:42 pm

I think the Magic Circle would be far better off kicking out members for incompetence. The trouble is that if they did that they wouldn't have anyone left.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 23rd, 2016, 2:47 pm

Pat Page was kicked out of the British Ring of the IBM, never The Magic Circle. They later reinstated him. John Lenahan was reinstated in The Circle some years ago and is a frequent Monday night attendee (and a friend). Others, such as Anthony Owen, were also reinstated. The reversals of the silly expulsions and things like the abandonment of the dress code, have reinvigorated the organization, IMHO.

Matt Field

performer

Postby performer » September 23rd, 2016, 2:53 pm

I remember when there was an attempt to kick Paul Daniels out of the British Ring but he stood up, made a speech and put them all in their place!

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » September 23rd, 2016, 8:38 pm

I had the great privilege to present Harry with his award and to film his acceptance speech at his home in Newburyport, MA. Harry is doing very well, looking forward to delivery of his latest book, Only My Apocalypse, and is hard at work on his next, "last" book... You will be seeing ads very soon in the usual, best places to reach talented students of magic....

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 24th, 2016, 11:43 am

Matthew Field wrote:Pat Page was kicked out of the British Ring of the IBM, never The Magic Circle. They later reinstated him. John Lenahan was reinstated in The Circle some years ago and is a frequent Monday night attendee (and a friend). Others, such as Anthony Owen, were also reinstated. The reversals of the silly expulsions and things like the abandonment of the dress code, have reinvigorated the organization, IMHO.

Matt Field

That's good to hear!

Return to “Buzz”