Face Up Invisible Palm Aces (Open Travelers)?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Face Up Invisible Palm Aces (Open Travelers)?

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Has anyone ever published a version of Invisible Palm Aces (Open Travelers) where the Aces appear face up one at a time on the table?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Face Up Invisible Palm Aces (Open Travelers)?

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 30th, 2016, 3:56 pm

If not, it's certainly easy as pie to do. Mr. DeLand's invention makes it a cinch.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 30th, 2016, 4:22 pm

That's one heck of a use of his palming gaff. Almost worth considering having a custom pack made as "selfie".

What do you think, an HPC action to load under your hand as the alternate action for second or third?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I was thinking: right now the ending of most IPA routines lack punch since it's usually more of the same. Having the last named ace travel face up would be a good canceling method and a way to differentiate the passage of the last ace as a nice climax.

I like the HPC idea--I'm sure I read HPC a routine with HPC applied to cards before--just can't remember where.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 30th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Wrong gimmick, Jonathan. The correct one would be for the Phantom Card trick, which has been used for Ace Assemblies before, though I don't know about "Invisible Palm Aces."

I have a method where the final Ace appears face up. It is what I developed the Second from the Top Palm, which appears in Card Finesse, for.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 2nd, 2016, 1:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Wrong gimmick, Jonathan. The correct one would be for the Phantom Card trick, which has been used for Ace Assemblies before, though I don't know about "Invisible Palm Aces."...

There's something in Wesley James's book that I recall seeing used by Matt Sedlack in context of the Open Travelers routine. I recall the gaff as being used faced down ... anyway that's what I recall without going back to the sleeve gaff version used in a monte that was demoed back at Tannen's long ago. Tap to open... ;)

Getting a card to appear face up on the table, or on top of cards already present ... not trivial. A steal and slide action might do the job but how cleanly?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2016, 1:53 pm

It was very clean when I used to do it and was in practice.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 2nd, 2016, 4:41 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Getting a card to appear face up on the table, or on top of cards already present ... not trivial. A steal and slide action might do the job but how cleanly?

It is not too difficult if you use 4 jokers.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » September 2nd, 2016, 7:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Wrong gimmick, Jonathan. The correct one would be for the Phantom Card trick, which has been used for Ace Assemblies before, though I don't know about "Invisible Palm Aces."

Would the Aces start appearing under a face down card? (trying to figure out if I know what you are talking about)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2016, 9:50 pm

Aces are appearing face up, one at a time. Yes, under the top face-up Ace (the first card you openly place on the table). It would be easy to excuse this with a gambling type patter about sneaking the rest of the Aces under the top card--you've turned the cards face up so the audience can see how the gambler does his secret move.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » September 2nd, 2016, 10:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Aces are appearing face up, one at a time. Yes, under the top face-up Ace (the first card you openly place on the table). It would be easy to excuse this with a gambling type patter about sneaking the rest of the Aces under the top card--you've turned the cards face up so the audience can see how the gambler does his secret move.

Cool. Was pretty close. Might be a bit nacky live, but would probably be a great youtube effect.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » September 2nd, 2016, 11:19 pm

Joe Pecore wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:Aces are appearing face up, one at a time. Yes, under the top face-up Ace (the first card you openly place on the table). It would be easy to excuse this with a gambling type patter about sneaking the rest of the Aces under the top card--you've turned the cards face up so the audience can see how the gambler does his secret move.

Cool. Was pretty close. Might be a bit nacky live, but would probably be a great youtube effect.

Is phantom card the same as Josh Jay'shttps://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/overlap?
He does a couple of assemblies at the 3 minute mark and then invisible palm aces (face down) at the 12 minute mark in the demo video.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2016, 11:40 pm

Josh callls it the "Overlap Gaff" for some reason. But, yes, it's the DeLand gimmicked card. It can made with the cards face up or face down, spread in a fanned position or spread strictly horizontal or vertical. DeLand created effects with all the variations over 100 years ago.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » September 3rd, 2016, 1:09 am

erdnasephile wrote:Has anyone ever published a version of Invisible Palm Aces (Open Travelers) where the Aces appear face up one at a time on the table?

I have not seen it but the review of the DVD "Series of Unfortunate Effects" in Genii Aug 2014 says:
"Glenn West’s “Wide Open Travelers” was another favorite—a face-up version of Jennings’ “Invisible Palm Aces” that smacked me in the face."

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 6th, 2016, 12:36 pm

At 2:10 in the trailer for "Series of Unfortunate Effects" there's a clip of a face up Open Travelers card production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNeGk0YfPQ

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 6th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:At 2:10 in the trailer for "Series of Unfortunate Effects" there's a clip of a face up Open Travelers card production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNeGk0YfPQ

Thanks for linking that, JT.

The move in the clip looked funny to me. Two hands to do one hand's work made the move seem rather fishy. However, I could be 100%, absolutely wrong since I'm just looking at a very brief clip. Perhaps there is a clever presentation that justifies the action or this is just a bad clip. Therefore, I would like to see the whole handling so I can check it out.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 6th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Funny how that project, started when Geoff Latta did the trick at Tannen's and later pointed me to Alton Shape's book - has remained an open question. Maybe someday I'll have to put in the work to get that toss down double thing working reliably so the first ace transit can be a gag/oops where the "make it invisible " part does not work and they see what I'm doing for real (ahem... minus the work to make that a double).

I just don't know that anything short of parlor type mechanics, blackart cards or similar, would get you a magical looking face up appearance . My aesthetic issue. The only trick I've worked on that's supposed to look like skill is the Devil's Elevator.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » September 9th, 2016, 6:20 am

In Marlo in Spades (1947) there is a sleight which permits to make an Ace appears face up under the other Aces.

See Aces over Kings, page 43. But it's not a phase of an Open Travelers theme which was presented only in 1961.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 9th, 2016, 9:53 am

Open Travelers (or Invisible Palm) has cards appearing under your hand as if simply becoming visible after being invisible while in your hand. Usually there's no penetration effect implied and it might clutter the effect to add that.

Having a card appear under another card may also be a "too perfect" cue that thin flat objects can pretty well hide one behind the other... which is also why yours truly did not spend much time fussing over a version of the trick done at the fingertips. Even with the six card repeat gaff set in hand... too obvious a method IMHO.

There is a cards to pocket (Five Fly Cards) which has one card covering others which vanish one by one... using some clever gaffs (nod to Theodore Deland) but again that seems the exception rather than the rule for deceptive magic.

By contrast consider the stage/tv ace assembly version where the other three aces appear under the face up ace of spaces... surprising? magical? I appreciate the performer's skill doing the card vanishes which precede the production... still not sure about face up appearances under other cards already present.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”