Helder Guimarães's Show Verso Coming to New York

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Helder Guimarães's Show Verso Coming to New York

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 27th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Helder Guimarães, one of the premier close-up artists of the world, returns to New York City following the acclaimed sold-out engagement of Nothing to Hide, directed by Neil Patrick Harris. Intimate and enigmatic, witty and unorthodox, VERSO is Helder’s most daunting journey into the impossible yet. Bear witness as he pushes the very limits of magic, and challenges just how much you’re willing to accept what your eyes assume to be true.

Read here:
http://versoshow.com/
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Elion

Re: Helder Guimarães's Show Verso Coming to New York

Postby Jon Elion » June 28th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Here's the link for buying tickets: https://www.telecharge.com/Off-Broadway/Verso/Overview

If you have an Amex Gold card you qualify for "Preferred Seating".

I just got 2 tickets for front row center seats!!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » June 28th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Helder's marketing team have done a superb job ... just have a look at the quality of the design of the site / show imagery ... has such a professional feel to it.

Can't wait to see the show

http://versoshow.com/

Daniel Bain

Postby Daniel Bain » October 7th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Just saw Helder's show tonight with my wife and her parents.

Helder did a really superb job! Really entertaining, great magic, and a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the performance on all levels.

Highly recommended!!! If in NYC, it's a must see show.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » October 11th, 2016, 1:15 pm

NY Times review from September 28, 2016:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/theat ... .html?_r=0
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » October 14th, 2016, 3:59 pm

I saw this show last night which got a standing ovation.

Very professional and was quite enjoyable.

However...there is a problem. (Not just with this show but with all magic shows I watch now.) I saw Helder and Derek perform together at the castle several years ago.

That was the single best performance of magic I have ever seen. I walked out of that show happy in the knowledge that magic could be performed in such a way that it became fine art and not just an amusement. Somehow what they did together proved that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts.

I heard many people talking about Helder's and Derek's show that had seen it when it came to NY. They were talking about that performance before Verso started, during the intermission and were still talking about it after the conclusion of Helder's performance last night. Consistently I heard the same sentiment that I felt. Greatest magic they had ever seen.

Maybe its unfair to compare Helder's recent offering to what he and Derek did several years ago. If I hadn't seen that maybe I would put Verso on a higher pedestal. Or maybe, much like the Heroin user, I will always be chasing that first high which can never be duplicated.

These are all the thoughts I had as I walked out of the theatre. Am interested in what others thought.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 14th, 2016, 8:24 pm

One is always doomed to work in the shadow of one's past successes.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 15th, 2016, 1:58 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:One is always doomed to work in the shadow of one's past successes.

I saw Derek & Helder's "Nothing to Hide" in NYC twice on its final day of performances. I was glad to have made the trip from Utah to NYC just to see it, having heard that it would never be performed again and not wanting to miss out on a possible "Hooker Card Rise" type experience. I enjoyed it. It was intelligent, funny and had great, original magic, superbly performed. But it did not give me the "Hooker Card Rise" frisson that I had hoped for.
More recently I travelled from Utah to LA to see the last two performances of Derek's "In & Of Itself", having heard over the top reviews of it. I am happy to report that it far exceeded my high expectations, and I did get several "Hooker" moments of astonishment from it, moments that resonate in my recollection and become more impressive with the passage of time, thinking about them, even though I saw the show twice in succession. It is a great, great show, one I hope to see again and would travel a great distance to do so. I haven't (yet) seen Helder's new show, but I am a fan of his work also and would have high expectations that I hope he would exceed.

GordonBean

Postby GordonBean » October 21st, 2016, 10:26 am

Thanks to Randy and Richard for sharing their experiences seeing these shows. In my case, I made a special trip to New York just to see Verso--as I had with Nothing to Hide--and if I lived there I know I'd already have made at least one return visit. I can't remember when I saw so much strong, original material performed by one person, and sitting in a predominantly lay audience connecting to that material is extremely inspiring. The show I saw also ended with a standing ovation, and there was a definite buzz afterward. (I have no doubt that Nothing to Hide comments were lurking, but the only one I heard myself concerned Helder's TED performance.)

Among the show's magician-foolers is a quantum leap forward of a very popular plot, and it's fascinating to see how much Helder's new approach leads to a more visceral effect. I don't want start a discussion that might lead to method speculation, but I can assure anyone thinking about going that seeing this piece alone is worth the price of admission.

Even more exciting than the material, though, is the real-world level of the show's direction and technical aspects--especially the set. A lot of thought, a lot of time, and a lot of money have obviously gone into this, and it has really paid off.

While I can understand that for many the let's-put-on-a-show energy and hard-hitting material of Nothing to Hide make it a hard act to follow, for me it turns out to be a great first act for this and for In & Of Itself, which we on the East Coast are very much looking forward to. What a great time for magic!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2016, 3:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing this.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 22nd, 2016, 2:07 pm

Saw Verso this week and Helder is to be congratulated !

A highly entertaining show ... almost a collection of 'vignettes' - with the rare ability to make card magic entertaining for lay people.

For the second time ( happened to me in Nothing to Hide as well ! ) I was randomly selected for an astonishing 'any card revelation' that is nothing short of the most direct magic you can imagine ... so beautifully clean and extremely powerful.

Tickets are available at the TKTS booth in NY - go see it !

Magic is certainly alive in NYC ... Verso, The Illusionists and Jason Bishop starting soon, too.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » October 22nd, 2016, 6:05 pm

I heard Helder and Derek fell out.

Anybody know why?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 22nd, 2016, 6:33 pm

None of your business.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » November 2nd, 2016, 1:08 am

Alas, Helder's acclaimed show "Verso" will be closing at the end of November rather than next year, due to his being asked to act as a consultant on a movie:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Helder-Guimaraes-VERSO-Will-Play-Final-Performance-This-November-20161101
Hope he has a chance to restage it for those of us who had hoped to see it next year!

Return to “Buzz”