Return of a Controversial Blog

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MCJ

Re: Return of a Controversial Blog

Postby MCJ » June 3rd, 2016, 12:53 am

I don't usually read stuff written about my site. I think people should be free to like or talk trash about something without the person responsible for it stepping in to rebut them.

But I got an email asking, "What did you do to Dale Hildebrandt." I don't know Dale, and I'm not sure what I did to him. But he's certainly free to have his opinion about my site. I'm not bothered if he (or anyone) doesn't like it. And it especially doesn't bother me when someone doesn't like it who clearly hasn't read it. He seems to think I write about Brooks and the Cafe a lot, which makes it clear he doesn't read the site.

I talk on my site like I talk in real life which includes "vulgar words" sometimes, but I don't give that any thought. It's certainly not to be "controversial."

I wanted to answer Dale's questions:
Are you going to get any direct communication from “Andy”?

Yes, I communicate with virtually everyone who has purchased the book. To whatever extent they want to. And, of course, there's that "controversial" blog of mine which is direct communication that keeps people abreast of what's happening.

Does he have any record of producing manuscripts that he can show?

It depends on your definition of "manuscript." I have a monthly newsletter that goes out. It's 7 issues in. It's never been late.

Will he answer your questions to the best of his ability?

Well, I'm answering yours.

Does he allow comments on his blog posts?

No. I think comments are a burden to the reader. There are enough place online begging for your opinion. I don't need your opinion.

Does he care?

Sure, I care about a lot of things. Just not the things you think I do. Your mistake is in thinking I want attention. You think that because you want attention for your blog. So you assume that's universal. But it's not. I've never promoted my blog at all, I don't engage when my site is posted on boingboing or reddit, I turned down a book deal with Vanishing Inc, I declined John Lovick's request to do a story for Reel Magic, I declined an offer to speak at the upcoming Magic Live, and finally -- as you pointed out -- I write semi-anonymously. These aren't the actions of someone who wants attention.

I do want to say that I ADORE the notion that you think writing about Steve Brooks is good for SEO. He's not quite the trending topic you imagine him to be. Even when I used to write about him on my old site, that's not what got people there. Here are the search terms that brought people to my old site in April of 05. This list is completely genuine. And this is back when the Cafe was relevant. And still hardly anybody was searching for it or Brooks.

http://thelinesyouamend.blogspot.com/20 ... terms.html

I also really love the implication that I started my site in 03, abandoned it in 05, waited 10 years, and came back to monetize it by selling an expensive book to a small number of people. Like that was my big plan. That is one of the dumber things I've read, and I've read Lim-tricks.

The economics of the book are this: I started this site last year to put some ideas out there. I expected it to go for a few months but I was getting a lot of positive feedback and I still had a lot more to write. The problem was it was a huge time commitment for me. I knew I had a small group of passionate fans who might be able to support the site to an extent that I could devote the time necessary to it without completely screwing myself over financially. You call me an "opportunist" and a "capitalist," but the truth is, while I've made some money from my site, it is a fraction of what I would make devoting that time to the work I do in my real life.

"Ah, Andy, you're so full of it. If it's not about attention and not about money, then what is it?"

This iteration of the site began because I thought I had some ideas that might be of interest to people. The site continued because in those first few months it became something that a lot of people liked. Not a huge number of people in the grand scheme of things, but a good amount for a magic blog. And people would write all the time to tell me how much they enjoyed it and how much they looked forward to checking in every day. Now, this is going to sound very maudlin, but when I was thinking about stopping the site I thought about the things in life that make me happy and how bummed I am when they go away. Especially when you're going through a rough patch. I remember being younger and going through a break-up or having to deal with a death in the family or work drama and just wanting to watch MST3K or read a Paul Harris book, or just engage in something that was solely positive in my life, and I figured if my site was that for some people then I should do what I could to keep it around. That may sound cheesy or like [censored], but it's true. I got an email just today that said:

"Didn’t think I was going to purchase your book, but I went to a funeral yesterday – a very sad affair.
Afterwards I thought to myself, “F--- it! Life is too short and Andy’s blog has brought me such joy, I want to be in!”
So today I ordered THE BOOK!

Thanks for what you do."

It's hard to stop something that people tell you directly makes them happy. And, of course, I've gotten a lot out of it too. It's not just some benevolent thing on my part. I get to share ideas with a lot of interesting people, I hear all sorts of magic gossip, I've picked up some work from the site, I've gotten a chance to consult with a couple of the biggest names in the business, and it's just generally a lot of fun. I hope to think it's a very symbiotic, positive thing in people's lives. The people who like it, I mean. I don't particularly care about the people who don't like it. I look at the things they DO like and think, "Thank sweet christ they don't like my site." Honestly, I don't really want everyone to like my site.

And finally, the book is real. This is no vaporware. The financial end of things is handled be real people with real names (as you'll see on your paypal receipt). The publishing company is Thomson-Shore. The illustrator is Stasia Burrington. Marc Kerstein created the app that goes along with the book. And my name is Andy. You don't need to put it in quotes.

I won't be monitoring this thread because, as I said, I feel like people should be free to talk trash about me without having to get into it with me specifically. And if they do want to send me a message my email is right on my site. I hope I was able to answer some of Dale's questions. Either way he's free to have the last word because I don't need it.
"Juvenile and silly" -- Richard Kaufman

prodigy

Postby prodigy » June 3rd, 2016, 3:23 am

Ted M wrote:He might qualify as controversial if he presold a $200+ book and didn't deliver it, even after 4 years.

Right, Dale?

How's Sacred Tricks coming along?

Ah yes...glad someone mentioned this.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » June 3rd, 2016, 11:24 am

prodigy wrote:
Ted M wrote:He might qualify as controversial if he presold a $200+ book and didn't deliver it, even after 4 years.

Right, Dale?

How's Sacred Tricks coming along?

Ah yes...glad someone mentioned this.

Me too, though I have no idea what it's about. Don't recall hearing about "Sacred Tricks". But then I am somewhat of a recluse. Sometimes. So some folk say.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 3rd, 2016, 11:42 am

Leo, if you have no idea what it's about, then why don't you use the links to the threads on The Magic Cafe and find out what it's about so you can make your comments with some background in place.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » June 3rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

To hear is to obey my liege. :)
Actually, already been there, still no wiser. One more back and forth tennis match, with no result to speak of.

However, back at the plot, I think that what's on offer (Andy's book) is very expensive, but that's a relative term. I thought the Stewart James Trilogy was expensive, but I went for it, because I like the stuff. What I've seen here is not unpalatable, but it just doesn't grab me sufficiently enough to fork out.

Joe's happy, and that's fine for Joe. Other less so, and that's fine, too.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 13th, 2016, 9:17 am

Today's Jerx post is one more reason why I support Andy's blog:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/6/12/a ... ittle-idea

For those of us who do magic primarily on a casual one-on-one basis, this one post alone is golden.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2016, 10:47 am

Really Jack? It's just an essay about putting your magic into a dramatic context. The ideas are not new.

The overall presentational idea given to perform a Tenyo trick is very similar to what Brad Henderson has already written about here.

He states that the "... main tenet of this site [is] that removing yourself from the equation leads to stronger magic" and I couldn't disagree more.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 13th, 2016, 11:12 am

Richard Kaufman wrote: It's just an essay about putting your magic into a dramatic context. The ideas are not new.

The overall presentational idea given to perform a Tenyo trick is very similar to what Brad Henderson has already written about here.

He states that the "... main tenet of this site [is] that removing yourself from the equation leads to stronger magic" and I couldn't disagree more.

It's quite possible to disagree with his statement as a general principle; but for me, there is no doubt that his specific example re Tenyo-type tricks is a way to make them play much more strongly. And throughout his site he has dozens of good, often original, examples.

And his advice re dramatic context is more pointed than just, "have a dramatic context." See his thoughts about Triumph to understand better what he is getting at.

It's true that nothing he says is new at all--newness is not my criterion for what is of value here. The interesting explication of such ideas is.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2016, 11:55 am

I'm not partial to the regurgitation of material I published in Eugene Burger's books 25 years ago.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 13th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Come on Richard ...
Quit being a Bitter Corner-boy Begrudger! ;)

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 13th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Was presenting a Tenyo trick as something out of a box, received in the mail, reading off instruction cards, etc. in the Burger book? Was it a Brad henderson idea? I don't know, I'm just asking. Pretty good presentational idea though.

Richard Kaufman wrote:

Better stated would be that, "removing yourself can lead to strong magic." No doubt about that. Just look at The Carbonaro Effect. But then, as has been discussed here before, removing yourself can also lead to some questionable ethical territory.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » June 13th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Ooh - I really like that Tenyo idea.

It is ironic - but dressing up the trick in that way actually comes close to transmitting the wonder a magician feels when examining the latest creation from Tenyo. Or at least comes close to describing how this magician feels...

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 29th, 2016, 11:10 am

This is the last week that you can arrange to purchase The Jerx Vol 1 for the "low" price of $260, or perhaps at any price. As I haven't read the book yet, I can't unequivocally argue that you should do so. But, wow, I really enjoyed one of Andy's most recent posts, I'll Be My Mirror. It's a strong new presentation for Arthur Monroe's Voodoo. A new methodology is also provided, very good in itself, but the original method will also work just fine. Anyway it's the new presentation that will kill. I am hoping, of course, that the new book will contain similarly amazing ideas.

performer

Postby performer » June 29th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I have only read the article cursorily and it deserves a more thorough examination on my part. I shall merely say that so far I haven't quite warmed to it yet. I do wish he would not use profanity among all the big intellectual words though. It does make him sound like a daft university student and it dents the credility and dignity of his message.

However, I shall try and be objective and wade through it properly and put aside my initial bias and sceptical suspicion that it may well be the blind leading the blind. Already I have come across a couple of things that don't sound quite right but I will reserve judgement for the moment until I think about it properly and analyse things to my own satisfaction.

performer

Postby performer » June 29th, 2016, 1:05 pm

I have now made a more determined effort to read that article. I have got up to the picture of a shark and so far I have to announce that I don't understand a word of it. I am beginning to suspect that Jonathon Townsend wrote it. Quite frankly I can't make head or tail of it so I cannot say if I agree with it or not since I have no idea what the chap is talking about. I do wish people would express themselves in a more comprehensible manner.

I swear that he is indeed a university student. They do tend to waffle in an intellectual manner which doesn't mean much in the real world.

However, now that I have reached the shark picture I have a more optimistic outlook on the matter. I am an expert on sharks and some would say I am a bit of a one myself. However, I am talking about sharks of the human species rather than the ones who lurk in deep waters. Now that I am up to shark territory I may possible be able to find better clarification and hopefully some inspiration in this matter. I still haven't give up yet.

performer

Postby performer » June 29th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Oh dear! I have just read past the shark picture and have come across a paragraph that I do understand. Alas it is complete twaddle and I do not agree with one word of it. Here it is.

"If you tell your friend you want to show them a trick and you float a coin in your hand, that may be a great magic moment. But, if you say, "I was walking in the woods and I tripped over this piece of metal coming from the ground. It seems like it's part of some larger object. Strange. And ever since then my tooth have been feeling loose in my skull. Oh, and look what I can do now."* And then you float the coin, and when you're done you spit a tooth out of your mouth. You still get that great magic moment, but it's evidence of something more profound than "just a trick." And no, they don't need to believe in this "more profound" thing. It's just a context to expand that magic moment outwards. (* And yes, that's a straight Stephen King, Tommyknockers rip-off. But it's apropos as an example because the whole notion of this is that you show someone something that is just a fragment of something greater buried underneath.)"

You are FAR better off not wasting time waffling about walking in the woods and teeth becoming loose and making the bloody coin get on with the damn floating. Too many daft magicians including well known names chatter and waffle about things that don't warrant the chattering and waffle. They are under the delusion that they are creating "profound moments"and "wonder" when the audience "wonder" when the bastard is going to stop chattering. And of course the end of the ceaseless chatter is the profoundest moment of all. A good magician talks, certainly, but he should combine it with action and never chatter when it is not part of said action. They over present and blabber too much. They worry about "sub text", "profound moments" and other tosh when they should just get on with things and float the bloody coin with as few words as possible. They can be amusing words but there should never be more than the number of fingers on two hands.

I may not read any more of that article anyway as I keep getting warning messages about viruses and fake web scans and things I do not understand of a computer nature that keep trying to scare me off.

performer

Postby performer » June 29th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Maybe there isn't any viruses there after all. I went again but this time didn't get the virus warning. Alas however, I can't read any more. I did try to put aside my bias but I have now come across some blithering daft notion that you should ask spectators their opinion of your trick. That is the height of stupidity and now I KNOW this is the work of some daft university student who doesn't perform for real people very much.

I admire his effort and will even forgive his disgraceful profanity but so far I haven't read a single sensible thing he has said. It seems obvious to me that all the daft people on this forum who are praising him to the skies don't perform for real people very much either.

It is the height of stupidity to ask people their opinion of a trick as a presentational idea. It might be a good thing if it was a genuine thirst for knowledge if you were really working on something and tried to get the personal opinion of a friend because you were genuinely not sure if one of your moves was as perfect as it should be. However, as a planned presentational device it is a very bad idea for two reason. One is that it cheapens and trivialises what you are showing and reduces it to a "trick". So much for the "profound moment". The second reason is that it is asking for trouble. If you invite criticism you will bloody well get it because people start to think they are judges on America's Got Talent and will start to pick holes in what you are doing when it wouldn't have occurred to them if you hadn't suggested such silliness in the first place.

I am sorry. I really can't read any more of this nonsense. Perhaps when he comes out of university we will some improvement and future growth.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 29th, 2016, 2:30 pm

As he notes repeatedly, he doesn't at all care what anybody else thinks of his blog.
He writes it only for himself, and those readers that do care.

I think it's a great attitude to have.

performer

Postby performer » June 29th, 2016, 2:40 pm

It is indeed a great attitude to have. However, I think it would encourage greater performing attitudes in others if he knew what he was talking about.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » August 21st, 2016, 2:26 pm

Andy's take on the Invisible Deck is very good.

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/8/17/in-search-of-lost-time

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 1st, 2016, 12:16 pm

I'll let you know how I like the book when my copy arrives in the mail.

magicam

Postby magicam » September 4th, 2016, 7:03 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
John LeBlanc wrote:Selling a book of blog posts.

Hmmm.

Now, where'd I leave my blog...
John Scalzi won a Hugo Award for a book collecting his blog posts.

Us oldtimers call those serials. Anybody remember Hoffmann and Sachs? Over the past 150 years, a good number of magic’s authors have had their serial writings “monetized.”

Read a few of Andy’s blogs. Can’t comment on his originality in trick creation, but in the magic theory area didn’t note any comments that were really original. For example, I suspect nearly all working pros would say that an audience-centric approach to performing is critical to their success – if you don’t consistently please your audience, you’re not going to earn a living performing magic. But it isn’t harmful to emphasize such old and sound theories, in Andy’s case kinda like Lenny Bruce doing Robert-Houdin.

As Mark Lewis pointed out, the plea for magicians to create magical moments which transcend mere “trickery” seem at odds with Andy’s suggestion that asking a spectator or audience for input on a trick can be a good thematic/presentational approach. Anyhow, neither suggestion is novel.

Was surprised to read Andy’s claim that Paul Harris' idea of magic bringing the spectator to a child-like state of astonishment is a “groundbreaking philosophy.” Was Harris really the first to use such words to describe one of the goals of magic? Could swear I heard such a characterization well over 40 years ago. In any case, the concept of magic as creating a sense of wonder is pretty old, and IMO Andy creates a strawman in translating same to you’re “like a dumbass baby who doesn't understand s*^t.” Alas, as adults we seldom enjoy a sense of genuine astonishment (wonder), and thus a “child-like state of astonishment” is a smile and enjoyment that comes from temporarily revisiting a sense of “anything is possible” from our childhoods. Good magic doesn’t emphasize a spectator’s ignorance, a point perhaps implicit in Andy’s discussion.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 4th, 2016, 8:39 am

I wonder if Doug Henning was also a magician who promoted the idea of a "child like astonishment"?

Or perhaps it was just promoting the idea of wonder instead. Although the two seem pretty close to me.

Personally I am never than keen on magic philosophy. What a magician think he is communicating and what he is actually communicating are usually two entirely different things. It is hard to wrap up any experience in a neat package or concept.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 4th, 2016, 11:40 am

Most of you don't understand nor appreciate the purpose of the blog, probably why you didn't buy the book.

Andy is not a professional magician, he is not writing a blog for professional magicians, the ideas he writes about are not for the presentation of magic in a theatrical setting.

Andy is an amateur magician, he is writing a blog for amateur magicians, the ideas he writes about are for the casual and informal presentation of magic.

I'm not sure what all the references to Andy directly asking his 'audience' for feedback are in regards to, I suspect it has something to do with his use of Focus Groups.

Focus Groups are widely accepted and highly regarded way for companies or individuals to get unbiased feedback on their product, services, or even the individual themselves. If you think magic doesn't have anyway of benefited from Focus Groups you're only fooling yourself.

Another point on genuine audience feedback, when movies are in the process of being edited they are test screened for audiences. The feedback from these test screenings can drastically alter the editing process of a film in ways the director could never have anticipated.

You are the director of your 'professional' magic show and if you think your directing is beyond reproach, then this blog and the book are not for you.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 4th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Josh Jay is running some focus groups in the upcoming MAGIC magazine legacy issues. So that readers can see what ordinary people think about magicians.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Mac Stone wrote:Most of you don't understand nor appreciate the purpose of the blog, probably why you didn't buy the book.

Andy is not a professional magician, he is not writing a blog for professional magicians, the ideas he writes about are not for the presentation of magic in a theatrical setting.

Andy is an amateur magician, he is writing a blog for amateur magicians, the ideas he writes about are for the casual and informal presentation of magic.

I've found very little of use in this blog, and I think it is awesome. It is the perfect answer to what Tommy Wonder asked for in his essay "Practical Thinking" (p.278, Books of Wonder Vol. 1). It would be inconceivable for me to - for example - rig my home with remote controlled colored lights just to give a single person a thrill, but I find it exhilarating and wonderful that there are people out there being passionate enough to do all that work.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 4th, 2016, 1:28 pm

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/1/23/d ... dhekzmuzq4

Here's a post I think sums up the crux of Andy's magic, the vulgarity is also rather tame compared to his other posts so it should be fairly easy for most to get through.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 4th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Tom Stone wrote:
Mac Stone wrote:Most of you don't understand nor appreciate the purpose of the blog, probably why you didn't buy the book.

I've found very little of use in this blog, and I think it is awesome. It is the perfect answer to what Tommy Wonder asked for in his essay "Practical Thinking" (p.278, Books of Wonder Vol. 1). It would be inconceivable for me to - for example - rig my home with remote controlled colored lights just to give a single person a thrill, but I find it exhilarating and wonderful that there are people out there being passionate enough to do all that work.

Tom,

You fall under the category of those that understand and appreciate the purpose of the blog.

magicam

Postby magicam » September 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

I don’t claim to understand or appreciate the purpose of Andy’s blog, but unlike you I have read the blog entries on which I’ve commented. That generations of successful pros have long understood the importance of being audience-centric simply illustrates the fact that such focus is not an original idea. That’s it. So whether or not a magician is a pro, or who Andy writes for, are irrelevant.

He may not be writing about magic performance in a theatrical setting (i.e., in a theater), but he does seem to believe that strong magic is akin to strong theatrical performance: “The most profound magic directs 100% of our attention to moments that are manifestations of compelling ideas that exist outside of that moment.”

Mac Stone wrote:I'm not sure what all the references to Andy directly asking his 'audience' for feedback are in regards to, I suspect it has something to do with his use of Focus Groups.

And you would be incorrect. :) Read his blog on this subject.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 4th, 2016, 9:04 pm

magicam wrote:I don’t claim to understand or appreciate the purpose of Andy’s blog, but unlike you I have read the blog entries on which I’ve commented. That generations of successful pros have long understood the importance of being audience-centric simply illustrates the fact that such focus is not an original idea. That’s it. So whether or not a magician is a pro, or who Andy writes for, are irrelevant.

He may not be writing about magic performance in a theatrical setting (i.e., in a theater), but he does seem to believe that strong magic is akin to strong theatrical performance: “The most profound magic directs 100% of our attention to moments that are manifestations of compelling ideas that exist outside of that moment.”

And you would be incorrect. :) Read his blog on this subject.

No, I have not read ALL the blog entries, but unlike you I have read more than just a few. I have read about half of them. I am steadily working my way backward through the archive and am currently on January 09, 2016 On Lying - Part Two.

Maybe if you could link to the specific blog post you take so much issue with I could better retort. I supplied one earlier for that very purpose, but you may prefer arguing with out pointing to specific evidence and quoting out of context.

Read the link provided and we can take it from there.

performer

Postby performer » September 4th, 2016, 9:35 pm

There is just so much tosh written on this thread that I have to grit my teeth and resist making rude remarks about the blind leading the blind in these matters.

First, the nonsense about this blog being written for amateurs rather than professionals. I can assure you all that the advice given therein is just as useless for amateurs as it is for professionals. As for the "casual and informal" presentation of magic I specialise in it. I do more of it than anything else. And I do not do it for money although I suppose I am a professional magician. I do it because that is what I do. And as a result of this experience I can assure you all that (at least the stuff I read) the thinking is absolute rot.

Magicam was wondering about his purpose in writing it. I expect it is to distract himself from studying for his upcoming exams.

And what on earth is this chatter about "focus groups". What the hell do you need a focus group for in order to find out if your material is any good or not? All you have to do is watch the reaction of your spectators. If they get down to their knees and mutter "Salaami, Salaamie" and say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread you can deduce that your magic is at least passable. If on the other hand they say, "I am afraid that is magic cafe standard" and immediately yawn with boredom and ignore you then you can deduce that you are bloody useless. But you hardly need a focus group for that.

Oddly enough I have seen David Berglas half follow this philosophy. He will do a trick but not rush on to the next one. He wants you to discuss how wonderful it is and see if you can figure it out. I do not favour this philosophy but David has the personality to sit there and look terribly mysterious and guru like while you all worship him and try to figure out how it all works at his urging. I can't see some university student who writes blogs doing it with the same effectiveness somehow.

Anyway I shall now exert myself to view the new extract which has been posted on this thread. I do it with great foreboding. Still, we shall see.

performer

Postby performer » September 4th, 2016, 9:39 pm

I just read the disgracefully vulgar first paragraph and couldn't take any more. This most definitely HAS to be a hormone driven university student.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » September 5th, 2016, 1:20 pm

performer wrote:I just read the disgracefully vulgar first paragraph and couldn't take any more. This most definitely HAS to be a hormone driven university student.

Well if you refuse to actually read the source material perhaps then you'll kindly remove yourself from this conversation as you have nothing to contribute.

I'm not asking you to agree with Andy's ideas, I'm asking that if your position is to refute them that you do not do so from a place of ignorance and cease your ad hominem attacks.

Andy has been writing the same type of material since at least ten years ago when he was writing the Magic Circle Jerk, surely by now that would at least make him a hormone driven ACADEMIC.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 5th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Mr. Stone: you are not a moderator, so please refrain from asking people to remove themselves from a conversation.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » September 5th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I have read all posts on The Jerx. I have found the blog entertaining. I do appreciate the amount of thinking and effort that went into some presentations. While interesting, most of them do not fit my style. I have not purchased the book as I do not find the information to be as revolutionary as some have. Much of the philosophy of magic has already been expressed by other authors and performers. I do appreciate that the blog has raised awareness about the way magicians should present magic.

A blog is written communication so criticism of the way it is written (in this case the vocabulary used) is a valid criticism. Since I don't know the blogger I can't say if he is a hormone driven academic. But I can see why the writing style would suggest this to some. I don't think anyone who does not know the blogger can say with certainty that he is not a hormone driven academic. Perhaps the blogger wrote The Magic Circle Jerk at a very young and tender age or he is a late bloomer.

I remain a fan and will continue to read the blog.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 5th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Andy's book starts shipping next week. I have it penciled in as a strong contender for the greatest book of magic ever written.

For people who enjoy Andy's approach to magic there is nothing else that comes close. Andy has created a new genre of magic and if that happens to be your favourite approach to magic - then it pretty much makes sense that his book will be the best book you have read in magic.

At least that is how I feel.

Andy's latest post gives a good insight into why I am so excited by his work:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/9/5/nu ... -in-a-book

performer

Postby performer » September 5th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Mac Stone wrote:
performer wrote:I just read the disgracefully vulgar first paragraph and couldn't take any more. This most definitely HAS to be a hormone driven university student.

Well if you refuse to actually read the source material perhaps then you'll kindly remove yourself from this conversation as you have nothing to contribute.

I'm not asking you to agree with Andy's ideas, I'm asking that if your position is to refute them that you do not do so from a place of ignorance and cease your ad hominem attacks.

Andy has been writing the same type of material since at least ten years ago when he was writing the Magic Circle Jerk, surely by now that would at least make him a hormone driven ACADEMIC.

I say, Stone old chap. You are really being most impertinent and I cannot possibly approve. Of course I have "something to contribute". My genius for one thing. Now you appear to be speaking Latin for some odd reason. Much as I wish to accommodate you I am afraid only the Pope speaks the language. I have reason to believe neither of us have reached such an exalted position so in future you really must address me in English.

Your admired author may not be an "ACADEMIC". However he is certainly a "DEMIC". That is grafter's language. I shall let you investigate it for the proper meaning. But then you probably don't know what a grafter is either. It seems you have led a sheltered life.

I am hardly speaking from a "place of ignorance" since I happen to be one of the world's greatest close up magicians. Actually I am the greatest but I don't want to say so in case you deem me immodest.

Now I have not given up on this chap yet. I have not read his tricks. Perhaps they are what everyone is raving about-I have no idea. I am not particularly interested in tricks-I grew out of that many years ago. No. I am far more interested in how they should be presented. And young Andrew's theories on presentation are utter rot.

Maybe his tricks are better. I wish I had the patience to read through one of them or perhaps see a video of one of them being performed. Providing there is no vulgar patter then I might be persuaded as to this young man's greatness. I am becoming suspicious of Joe Mckay's hero worship which seems a bit over the top. I bet he is getting a cut of the action or something.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 5th, 2016, 6:43 pm

I am 100% on the up and up. But I was expecting that accusation at some point.

I guess it is hard to express genuine enthusiasm for an unknown these days. I blame The Magic Cafe for that. So many expensive mentalism books/tricks get promoted by various members on there that it makes you suspect that something is up. Especially when most of them have little of real value.

I used to help out on a card magic blog a few years ago - back when I gave a hoot about card magic. I wrote under the name cardmagic10. And I wrote a post after seeing a tiny update on Andy's old blog that suggested he might start posting again soon. Sadly it never came to anything.

But for what it is worth - you can see I was just as enthusiastic about his work back then.

https://doubledeal.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... rcle-jerk/

https://doubledeal.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/more-mcj/

What has been great about his return to writing this time round is seeing the many inventive and creative ideas Andy has originated in the past decade. I saw a glimpse of it on his original blog when he published a very funny (and clever) Ouija board effect. But I never expected the torrent of creative magic effects he has unleashed on his latest blog. Yet at the same time - I was such a big fan that it didn't really surprise me.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 5th, 2016, 7:18 pm

while I have enjoyed that which I have read on Andy's blog, I ask myself if this is a new type of magic or merely a modern attempt to address the same issues explored by the bizzarists. Don't get me wrong, I think Andy is very interesting, having even bought the book, but to suggest this is a new genre if magic seems a little over stated.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » September 5th, 2016, 8:06 pm

"A new genre of magic" is over stating Andy's contributions. A sub category of Bizarre Magic sounds right.

For example "The Greatest Trick You Should Never Do" is just The Bill in a Lemon trick presented in a way that Jarrow and others would have never thought of or considered performing.

Jackpot
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Return to “General”