Bill to Lemon Method?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Dan Trommater

Re: Bill to Lemon Method?

Postby Dan Trommater » March 9th, 2004, 2:26 am

Pepka,

I believe the switch is Juan Tamariz' 'Crossing the Gaze' switch. It can be found in his book "The 5 Points in Magic". Not only is it about timing and "balls", it's about commitment. You have to commit to the fact that you are doing what it appears you are doing. It feels like it would be obvious to the spectators, but (if you practice sufficiently) it blows right by them.

You might also look at "Lime" by Richard Sanders. Very clever and uses the same switch. It can be found on his video "Video Tricks".

Dan

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2004, 6:28 am

Originally posted by Scott Chenow:
Must be a signed bill, otherwise why do it? Make it look impossible! And remember to think it through, every magician does this, so do it better!
While I agree with you that some might feel that way, I also feel that if everything is done in the open and clean... that is the bill is borrowed... the corner is torn off... and handed to the spectator (without a switch or even a chance of a switch) then the remainder of the bill destroyed (again very openly, cleanly and without the chance of us having switched it) I don't think it needs to be signed.

With the "Anywhere Bill" a bill is borrowed, the corner is ripped off, in fact you can begin the tear and have it completed by the spectator... they keep the corner that either you or they just tore off, you could then hand the remainder to someone else for them to destroy, burn shred or whatever... (Yes! you could hand the actual bill that the corner was just torn off of) yet when you introduce your lemon/orange etc. (which by the way could be out in plain sight from the start and not handled by you at all) the larger portion of the bill will be reproduced - restored and the serial numbers will match as will the torn edges.

This effect is all done very openly in fact we have a line in our routine where we say, well begin by recording the serial number but we dont have anything to write with or to write on (as we say this we show both sides of our hands one of which if holding the borrowed bill which also demonstrates that we are not holding any extra pieces (which we are not) the bill doesnt have to be placed into an envelope or any other apparatus

Jack Gaylin one of our local heroes in magic; in fact Jack is one of the few guys that came into our shop that I would ask for his autograph. Jack says this is the best bill to impossible location that he has ever seen, because it is so clean, and so well thought out. He said he wished he would have thought of it himself 50 or 60 years ago. Jack is now 73 and every bit the magic enthusiast he was 50 or 60 years ago, and there are times when I wish he would have thought of it too.

So while I agree a signed bill/card or anything, can be good, as it serves to prove there were no switches a signature may only necessary when the actions themselves arent strong enough to prove you only used one bill/card or whatever.

Ken

BTW - We are starting works on our new "Anywhere Bill Book" a collection of ideas sent in by "anywhere Bill" users... so if you have the effect and want to include your thoughts in the book, email them to me or mail them to Ken Driscoll, 8138 Dundalk Ave. Baltimore, Md. 21222 all those that have ideas selected for the book will recieve a free signed copy as well they will receive full credit for their entry

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2004, 10:41 pm

Come on. You could have torn a bill that looks like it was torn the same way (if that made sense). I would have to recommend a signed bill, yet again, for its unbelievability. It just looks that much cleaner and amazing. Its not too hard to find a method inwhich you could do naked on a beach if need be. I have seen and done it many times, although mentalisms more my thang.

Check out a buddy's site for some pics and such of him performing this miracle: ChrisIvanovich.com

S

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 12:20 pm

I think we all need to learn to get a long a little better, so I will never disagree with someones opinion; to each his or her own

Naked magic scares me a little though ;)

Take care

Ken

Magic-ME\'s FREE Discussion Board Blankity Blank. Blank.. Blank...

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2004, 3:26 pm

I love debating, so If I sound a little defensive its simply because I love thought. The meaning for my life; pursuit of knowledge. Sorry if I sounded mean.

By the way has anyone seen Osterlinds #3 dvd with bill in borrowed cigareete, its awesome!

mister Dominik
Favorite Magician: silvan

Postby mister Dominik » March 16th, 2016, 4:23 am

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » March 16th, 2016, 7:39 am

The guys at The Wizard Product Review gave your Platinum Bill in Lemon a great review. One gave it 98% and the other 100%.
They mention that Silvan says your version is the best bill in lemon he has ever seen. High praise indeed.
I see on your profile that Silvan is your favorite magician. Well I should hope so! ;)

I have a question. I think I know what your response will be.
Isn't the appearance of a signed bill in a lemon amazing enough in itself? Is the effect really that much greater, if the lemon is wrapped in tinfoil, sealed inside a bag, which is sealed inside another bag?

I will admit, there is that added element of surprise, when the spectator unwraps the tinfoil and finds a lemon, instead of a baked potato. :)

I myself have never performed bill in lemon, so what do I know.
If I did, I would be inclined to go with Carl Cloutier's handling, but that's just me.
I think you're going to sell a ton of these ingenious devices.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » March 16th, 2016, 11:52 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:Isn't the appearance of a signed bill in a lemon amazing enough in itself? Is the effect really that much greater, if the lemon is wrapped in tinfoil, sealed inside a bag, which is sealed inside another bag?

For real people: Yes. No.

For magicians: No. Yes.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 16th, 2016, 5:42 pm

John Bodine wrote:Larry Jennings published a card to lemon effect in the small bookliet Neoclassics. In the opening paragraph it is noted that the surprise element is essentially destroyed in most presentations of "object to fruit" as the fruit is presented before the effect begins. Obviously the structure of the entire routine can help eliminate this flaw but generally the audience knows whats going to happen.

Larry's take on the effect is startling and could likely be adapted to include a signature.

johnbodine

I've always thought the transformation aspect of Mr. Jennings' routine was really compelling. However, I wonder if the method is practical (Busby referred to it as a "vanishing tumor").

Has anyone actually used this method in the real world?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm

as Charles Reynolds posited, "fullfillment is more impactful than surprise".

that being said, there are still issues with making the effect obvious from the beginning. And there is a difference between bill to location and bill to impossible location.

all of that aside, I have done bill to Lemon and its one audiences talk about for years after. in my version the lemon is in a box in the audience (though the audience doesn't know what's in the box). Audiences DID mention, a year or more after the performance, that the 'lemon was in the audience'.

They did NOT mention the box, or the lock, or it being wrapped in paper. I don't think zips and bags would have been relevant either. At least, not given the choices I had made as to the presentation of the effect

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”