Pat Lyons (Patterson)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Julie Eng

Pat Lyons (Patterson)

Postby Julie Eng » March 15th, 2016, 3:29 pm

PAT LYONS (PATTERSON)

Magicana is sad to report the passing of famed magic illustrator Pat Lyons (aka Pat Patterson) due to complications from lung cancer. She died peacefully in hospice last evening.

Pat, along with her husband, the late P. Howard Lyons were responsible for Ibidem magazine, one of the most ground-breaking magic publications of the 20th century. Her puzzle, The Vanishing Leprechaun, remains one of the most pirated designs of this genre.

Pat loved jazz and science fiction, and, if it was performed well, magic.

In the last number of years, she has had a close association with David Ben and had a hand providing illustrations for several of his publications and projects. Pat was also a huge supporter of Magicana. For more information about Pat as an illustrator please see Chuck Romano’s, The Art of Deception.

As per her wishes, donations can be made to Magicana (http://www.magicana.com) or to the Kensington Hospice (https://www.kensingtonhealth.org/Kensington-Hospice/Welcome.aspx) where she received extraordinary care and support in her final weeks.

A celebration of Pat’s life and work will be hosted in Toronto some time in April. Details will be posted as they become available.

Thank you Pat, for all that you did, and continue to do, for us through your generosity.
The End.jpeg
The End.jpeg (82.35 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Pat Lyons (Patterson)

Postby Matthew Field » March 15th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Pat Patterson Lyons was a treasure. Her covers for Ibidem were clever and beautiful. R.I.P. to a smart and talented woman who gave so much to magic.

Matt Field

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 15th, 2016, 7:08 pm

I just went through my little collection of her Ibidem covers with a big smile across my face (with thanks to Stephen Minch for making them available). I loved her art and humor. I'm so glad she shared it.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 15th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Pat and Howard were wonderful, creative people.

Chuck Romano

Postby Chuck Romano » March 16th, 2016, 11:54 am

Pat was a dear friend of mine. We never met in person, but wrote and called each other regularly for almost 20 years. Her artwork was outstanding. Pat was a wonderful woman and I will miss her.

Return to “Buzz”