Tom Mullica

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Tom Mullica

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2016, 2:38 pm

This is just a message to let everybody know that Tom Mullica went in for a routine hernia operation which apparently was botched blood clots formed and he had multiple strokes organ failure and he's now in the hospital in an induced coma. It doesn't look like he will be coming home. Please send good thoughts his way.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Tom Mullica

Postby Matthew Field » February 17th, 2016, 2:45 pm

This is the most horrible news. Tom is not only one of magic's treasures, he is a wonderful human being. My thoughts are with Tom and, of course, Stephen. I hope he pulls through. I love the guy.

Matt Field

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 17th, 2016, 3:06 pm

I'm at a loss for words. The guy beats cancer and then this happens?

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 17th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Horrible news, indeed. I have only met him at the last convention where he impressed me as a great person. An honest and sincere guy.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 17th, 2016, 4:41 pm

I can't believe this. Defeating cancer, coming back to magic and rumors of a new Tom Foolery in Vegas....and this happens. Tom isn't only one of my favorite magicians, he's one of my favorite humans. Hang in there Tom, we love you!

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 17th, 2016, 4:46 pm

This is terrible news - about an old friend. I sure hope he makes it. My prayers are certainly with him.

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » February 17th, 2016, 5:24 pm

NO ! ! ! How is this Possible !
Sending Tom Love ,Positive Energy and Prayers.

Michael Lee

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 17th, 2016, 7:27 pm

How often do you hear of a botched hernia operation, this is beyond botched. Very sad news for one of magic's finest.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 17th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:How often do you hear of a botched hernia operation, this is beyond botched. Very sad news for one of magic's finest.

I believe that Burt Sperber died during "routine" hernia surgery.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 17th, 2016, 10:13 pm

I fondly remember the time I had with Tom this summer at Abbott's. While everyone else was teching in their acts, Tom and I sat at the side of the stage cutting jackpots.
Prayers are with him and Steven.
Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 17th, 2016, 10:35 pm

This is so disheartening. Tom's was the first magic lecture I ever saw. I had just joined the local club, and some members were going to Nashville to see Tom Mullica. I had seen him on World's Greatest Magic, so I knew who he was, but didn't really understand the concept of a lecture. I was guaranteed to have a good time by the other club members, so I went.

Although I've seen a bunch of lectures since then, I haven't laughed as hard at any of them, and only a few had better magic.

(And I'm wondering a little about the word "botched" -- it implies the doctor screwed up. Do we know this? Sometimes things just don't work out. Every surgery is a risk. Tragic for Tom and his family either way, though.)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2016, 11:52 pm

"Apparently botched" is what I heard. Internal bleeding after the operation went undetected and blood clots formed.

jjsanvert

Postby jjsanvert » February 18th, 2016, 2:17 am

Very sorry to read that. I do hope he will make it.

n|trous

Postby n|trous » February 18th, 2016, 9:24 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Apparently botched" is what I heard. Internal bleeding after the operation went undetected and blood clots formed.

Not to diminish the tragedy of the situation, but "undetected bleeding" and "blood clots" do not equate to multiple strokes.

The fact is that all surgery has risk - even simple hernia repairs. As well, every person carries their own unique set of risks going into the surgery. In this case, two obvious ones related to stroke come to mind. The first is he is a cancer survivor. This increases his risk of clotting and of embolic events - his coagulation cascade was not normal, and depending on this course of treatment, his blood vessels wouldn't be normal as a result of chemotherapy. This increases the risk of clots and embolism. Finally, he was a smoker - his risk of cardiovascular disease was significant. Carotid vessel disease leading to perioperative/postoperative stroke is a very real possibility.

So, before anyone jumps to conclusions, I would suggest everyone remember that even when bad things happen in apparently "simply medical procedures", someone isn't always at fault.

Nitrous

performer

Postby performer » February 18th, 2016, 9:38 am

I have always said that it is the doctors who kill you. I still remember the time the doctors in Israel went on strike and the death rate went DOWN! In fact the Funeral Undertakers Association were so incensed about it that they petitioned the government to bring in back-to-work legislation as they were losing so much business.

And it costs money for the doctors to kill you in America. At least they do it for free up here.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » February 18th, 2016, 10:06 am

This is sad and horrible news.

Taking absolutely nothing away from the many great times and incredible performances where I saw him most often at Abbott's Get Togethers in the late 70s and early 80s, I was really surprised many later when, after being out of magic for a while, I was sitting in a movie theatre enjoying the movie Finding Forrester starring Sean Connery as a famous one-hit wonder writer of the great American novel turned recluse. At one point in the film there was a brief scene IIRC at a party and one of the characters was talking to a financier. The financier was played by none other than Tom Mullica. It cause me to have an instant and fond flashback to my days seeing him at Abbott's as well as giving me an ever greater appreciation for Tom's talent and range. I couldn't focus on the film for at least another 10 minutes.

I sure hope a miracle graces Tom.

n|trous

Postby n|trous » February 18th, 2016, 10:23 am

performer wrote:I have always said that it is the doctors who kill you. I still remember the time the doctors in Israel went on strike and the death rate went DOWN! In fact the Funeral Undertakers Association were so incensed about it that they petitioned the government to bring in back-to-work legislation as they were losing so much business.

And it costs money for the doctors to kill you in America. At least they do it for free up here.

That is such a silly use of statistics. The "rest of the story" is that after the initial fall in iatrogenic deaths, the morbidity/mortality rates dramatically (as expected) increases.

The idea that on balance, society is better off without a functioning healthcare system is nonsense. You're confusing short term outcomes with longer term outcomes.

BTW, death rates will go down if no one is there to certify deaths! It doesn't mean that fewer people die - it just means that the system that records deaths isn't functioning so there is a natural "decrease in death rates". Do you actually think that this means that you'd be better off without access to healthcare? Heaven help you if you do :)

Nitrous

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 18th, 2016, 10:44 am

Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that unwinnable arguments over the worth of doctors and premature judgments Re: causes of morbidity are of perhaps less importance than the fact a friend is gravely ill.

Those of you who are close to Tom and Stephen: is there any tangible way we can please help?

n|trous

Postby n|trous » February 18th, 2016, 10:48 am

erdnasephile wrote:Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that unwinnable arguments over the worth of doctors and premature judgments Re: causes of morbidity are of perhaps less importance than the fact a friend is gravely ill.

Those of you who are close to Tom and Stephen: is there any tangible way we can please help?

You're completely correct.
It might have been best to ignore that post - but in the theme of 'botched' events, it seemed relevant.
I can only wish the best for Tom.
Nitrous

performer

Postby performer » February 18th, 2016, 12:31 pm

But you didn't ignore it did you? Of course I can never be ignored. But I didn't say that there shouldn't be a good health care system. I merely said that it is the doctors that kill you. Anyway your explanation about paperwork being the cause of the problem doesn't square with the opinion of my own doctor who was just as much in a huff as you when I pointed this out to him. He said the real reason is that less operations are going on which kind of proves my point. It is the failed operations that kill you. And who conducts those operations?
Doctors of course!

Having said that I do extend my sympathy to those who know Tom Mullica. I didn't but I did see his act. He was actually supposed to be coming to Toronto in April.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 18th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Sad news. Had never heard of the guy, but back home on leave in what, 1979 I think it was, my sister told me about this magic bar in town that everyone was talking about. Yep, it was the Tom Foolery. Saw Tom there and my world was rocked - magic could be so much more than I'd imagined. His inspiration is one of the reasons I've stuck with it all these years. Saw his comedy club act a couple of times and met him once at the Atlanta Harvest of Magic convention. Nice guy, consummate performer. My best to him and his husband.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » February 18th, 2016, 2:13 pm

do we have an updated status?

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » February 18th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Brett Loudermilk on FB said Tom will be taken off life support later today.

DAMMIT!

CraigOusterling
Favorite Magician: All the dead ones.

Postby CraigOusterling » February 18th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Yes, and it's not good news. :(

I saw the same report from Steve Daly.

luigimar

Postby luigimar » February 18th, 2016, 3:53 pm

From Gary Plants on Facebook: "I just heard that Tom passed away today. Thanks for all the laughs Tom. Rest in peace."

Very. Sad. News. Rest in Peace...

Update from Gary Plants...

"There seems to be some confusion about whether Tom has passed away or not. Dave MaGee said he had just talked with Johnny Thompson and he told him that Tom was still on life support. So, things are a bit confusing at this time."
Last edited by luigimar on February 18th, 2016, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luigimar

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 18th, 2016, 4:40 pm

How sad. The world is a little duller place without Tom's brilliance to entertain us.
RIP Tom.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » February 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm

lets wait to hear from Steve...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 18th, 2016, 8:22 pm

It is official. Tom Mullica has left this world. Our best wishes to Steve.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 18th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Stephen reported on Facebook that he removed Tom from life support. A tragedy.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 18th, 2016, 9:35 pm

I am heartbroken to learn of the passing of Tom. I tried to call him a couple of weeks ago and wish that I had been able to reach him. I however, am very proud to be able to share my time with him via this interview. It is a fantastic conversation and still is one of the most popular interviews that I have done: http://bit.ly/MULLICA You will be incredibly missed Tom!

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 18th, 2016, 10:20 pm

I was fortunate to spend some quality time with Tom backstage at Abbott's last summer. We sat at the side of the stage and jackpotted while others were teaching in. He said, "I had a cigarette act and now no one smokes. I did Red and know one knows who he was anymore. So this is a new act I am working on."
Tom was breaking in a new pickpocket act. To be honest, by Tom's and other opinions, it just did not work at Abbott's. But Tom was smart enough to know it and was talking with people and still working on it. I would have loved to see his finished product.
He had developed two world class acts that were finely honed and crafted. I am sure a third was coming.
I am sure he is catching up with Karrell and Duke and receiving the thanks from Red for keeping his legacy alive.
Tom and Stephen had bought plots in Colon, Michigan among the other famous magicians reposing there as Phillip Morris liked to call it "the elephant's graveyard". The headstone had already been designed, constructed and set.
Tom, rest in peace. Thank you for all the smiles and laughter over the years. Stephen, my prayers and thoughts are with you.
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 19th, 2016, 12:03 am

A nice obituary from Mark Evanier.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 19th, 2016, 3:14 am

I am devastated by this news. Tom was someone I greatly admired on many levels. He was a creative, talented man who I believe showed how comedy and magic could successfully be combined. His Egg Bag routine, for example, was perhaps the best I've seen, with a climax that had to be seen to be believed (although tailored for a Tom-Foolery environment). His love for Steve was palpable and their relationship was beautiful to behold.

I interviewed Tom at the last International convention a couple of years ago for the "Face to Face" series, and got him to sign "Close-up at the Tom-Foolery" which I had edited many years previously. I treasure the time I spent with Tom and Steve and my heart and condolences go out to Steve. Magic is enriched by having had Tom in its midst. The loss is extreme. Tom was loved by so many people, magicians and audiences alike. And by me.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2016, 7:00 am

Yes, devastating news.

F.Amílcar
Favorite Magician: J. N. Hofzinser

Postby F.Amílcar » February 19th, 2016, 7:35 am

Dear friends magicians,

I have gotten the pleasure to met Tom and Stephen a long time ago in Barcelona show tv and dinner with them.

It is a great loss in magic world for all of us.

Our most sincere condolences to Stephen and the family from Barcelona-Spain.

Very sad news.

Rest in peace.

Sincerely,

F. Amílcar Riega i Bello.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » February 20th, 2016, 1:54 pm

A great magician who will be greatly missed.

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » February 20th, 2016, 6:50 pm

This is horrible news. My condolences to Tom's family and loved ones.

THANK YOU TOM FOR BRINGING OUT OUR INNER CHILD AND FOR BRINGING THE JOY OF MAGIC & LAUGHTER TO OUR HEARTS. R.I.P. Tom Mullica.

Roberto

Return to “Buzz”