Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Mickey MacDougall on To Tell The Truth

Postby Matthew Field » January 22nd, 2016, 6:50 am

Thank you, Brad. Most enjoyable.

Matt Field

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 22nd, 2016, 9:14 am

Thanks Brad, interesting clip. Couple of thoughts about the panelists... They seemed to have the questions to ask all written down. A lot of those questions didn't seem like they were coming from lay people. I found it interesting that the panelists seem familiar with Scarne.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » January 22nd, 2016, 10:50 am

I thought the questions seemed well prepared and the Scarne bit confirms it for me.

I can't recall ever seeing a picture of Mickey MacDougall before, let along actual footage. So I was in guessing mode and guessed along with everybody else. As it happens, I guessed correctly.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 22nd, 2016, 5:12 pm

scarne was a well know personality on these shows and among the celebrity guests who participated in them. I have heard Scarne's name mentioned more than once on old shows like I've got a secret and to tell the truth.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 22nd, 2016, 5:25 pm

There are a number of photos in Gamblers Don't Gamble, so I was prepared :)

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 22nd, 2016, 6:55 pm

Nat Bernstein, who was one of the 3 posing as MacDougall, was a magic enthusiast and the printer of the Jean Hugard testimonial program in 1945. I would have agreed with his description of Scarne, but the panelist didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if the other person posing as MacDougall (Edward P. Gallagher, a New York CPA) was also a magician, though I haven't heard of him.

performer

Postby performer » January 24th, 2016, 11:42 pm

MIckey McDougall had something in common with me. He was a svengali pitchman.

Shikina

Postby Shikina » January 26th, 2016, 5:51 pm

The tell for me was when they introduced Mickey's biography with a Voice of God announcer. The real Mickey smiled, while the other two continued to show serious visages. This confirmed for me two pieces of general pop psychology concerning the liar/truth-teller dynamic:

1. The truth tellers often relax because there is nothing for them to hide. There is also nothing to remember which is why he can smile at the description rather than having to focus on it

2. Liars try to avoid inconsistency. The two false MacDougal's displayed poker faces throughout the intro both because they needed to hear it in order to know what they must be aware of, but also because they were fearful of letting their guard down.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » January 27th, 2016, 10:09 am

Shikina wrote:The tell for me was when they introduced Mickey's biography with a Voice of God announcer. The real Mickey smiled, while the other two continued to show serious visages. This confirmed for me two pieces of general pop psychology concerning the liar/truth-teller dynamic:

1. The truth tellers often relax because there is nothing for them to hide. There is also nothing to remember which is why he can smile at the description rather than having to focus on it

2. Liars try to avoid inconsistency. The two false MacDougal's displayed poker faces throughout the intro both because they needed to hear it in order to know what they must be aware of, but also because they were fearful of letting their guard down.

Completely disagree.

A smile from one and stone face from the others means just that. A smile from one and stone face from the others.

My correct guess had nothing to do with anything specific. It felt right, which is one of the most scientific techniques I've ever come across.

Return to “General”