Theft & Copyright Infringement on YouTube

Post topics about the business side of magic.
magicbar

Postby magicbar » November 25th, 2015, 12:32 pm

The question deals specifically with Youtube since it is so rampant. It seems like too many YouTubers reveal marketed effects and moves without impunity. At the same time I notice a couple of magicians who's work rarely, if ever, gets revealed. Some videos are taken down for copyright infringement and some are not. How can one protect material on Youtube?

Specific examples: Known moves and effects are described in detail yet without credit yet the creator and move name are quite easy to properly credit leaving the viewer to think the move is public domain or of the poster. Another example is the YouTuber who demonstrates their latest magic shop purchase with the specific intent to reveal the method. Also, some post other people's videos [notably the L&L, A-1, Penguin productions] under their own channel. Some performers seem to escape these exposers and copiers outright.

I am not yet posting on Youtube. I want to get feedback and specifics before I do so I can protect myself and well as not offend others.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Re: Theft & Copyright Infringement on YouTube

Postby mr_goat » November 25th, 2015, 12:43 pm

If you own the copyright on the content, it is very easy to get it taken down.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... 2?hl=en-GB

However, that won't stop people exposing secrets, but nothing will. I'd advise you not to worry about it as there's nothing you can do.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 25th, 2015, 1:23 pm

magicbar wrote:The question deals specifically with Youtube since it is so rampant. ...

I am not yet posting on Youtube. I want to get feedback and specifics before I do so...

If you'd like to add to the literature of magic - could have your scholarly work (crediting etc) by way of this magazine or video links in the online version of the magazine.

If you want to show a routine to some specific audience you can make the video private and send them a link and the password.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2015, 2:37 pm

I had videos of David Berglas which came from the DVDs included with his book taken down because of copyright violations.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

RenzIII

Postby RenzIII » January 21st, 2016, 11:12 am

I remember a little while back Pop Haydn, had some of his teaching videos posted on YouTube, what blatant crap, I believe he had them pulled. I can't imagine how many levels of stupid these kind of offenders are.

I remember telling this one magician person I knew, that I picked up some good L&L classic titles on in eBook off the L&L site, he said send them to me.
I looked him in the eye and said sure after I come to your house and take a couple of books off your shelf that you paid for. He looked at me as though he didn't get it.

Apparently since digital formats are not tangible, seems people view digital media as meaningless files to be traded, given away or simply deleted.
Some people don't seem to get its someone's intellectual property and hard work.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 21st, 2016, 11:39 am

RenzIII wrote:... I can't imagine how many levels of stupid these kind of offenders are.

...I looked him in the eye and said sure after I come to your house and take a couple of books off your shelf that you paid for. He looked at me as though he didn't get it.

Apparently since digital formats are not tangible, ...

"He looked at me as though he didn't get it." - likely a correct analysis on your part - as the digital books "remain on your shelf". Then again one could argue that to copy electronic data rather than move also beings DCMA issues. Old discussion. If you're new to this dialog - the book referenced below might help get you up to speed on where we are today outside of magic. In magic we have an additional concern that involves what we call "secret". The secret however... i dunno

Cory Doctorow wrote an interesting book titled "Information Doesn't Want To Be Free" - FYI I bought the audiobook version.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 21st, 2016, 5:12 pm

RenzIII wrote:I remember telling this one magician person I knew, that I picked up some good L&L classic titles on in eBook off the L&L site, he said send them to me.
I looked him in the eye and said sure after I come to your house and take a couple of books off your shelf that you paid for.

If this magician person had said "Sure, take your pick", would you have been ok with the trade?

RenzIII

Postby RenzIII » January 21st, 2016, 5:19 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
RenzIII wrote:I remember telling this one magician person I knew, that I picked up some good L&L classic titles on in eBook off the L&L site, he said send them to me.
I looked him in the eye and said sure after I come to your house and take a couple of books off your shelf that you paid for.

If this magician person had said "Sure, take your pick", would you have been ok with the trade?

No I would not have, the point I was making is the nonchalant of his attitude, like it's not hurting anyone. You want the eBook buy it like I did, support the writer. I'm not even so sure trading physical book for book would be ethical, if you were using material from the book you traded.

My point is electronic format my not be as tangible as a book, still not cool to just trade and share files and the writers get nothing, just buy your own ebooks and use them as intended.

Last edited by RenzIII on January 21st, 2016, 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RenzIII

Postby RenzIII » January 21st, 2016, 5:33 pm

And don't get me started with these little eight-year-old twerps on YouTube, with their voices cracking badly performing and exposing other peoples material. When I was that age, as I do today at 55, I guard my work and secrets.

RenzIII

Postby RenzIII » January 21st, 2016, 5:41 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
RenzIII wrote:... I can't imagine how many levels of stupid these kind of offenders are.

...I looked him in the eye and said sure after I come to your house and take a couple of books off your shelf that you paid for. He looked at me as though he didn't get it.

Apparently since digital formats are not tangible, ...

"He looked at me as though he didn't get it." - likely a correct analysis on your part - as the digital books "remain on your shelf". Then again one could argue that to copy electronic data rather than move also beings DCMA issues. Old discussion. If you're new to this dialog - the book referenced below might help get you up to speed on where we are today outside of magic. In magic we have an additional concern that involves what we call "secret". The secret however... i dunno

Cory Doctorow wrote an interesting book titled "Information Doesn't Want To Be Free" - FYI I bought the audiobook version.

Interesting, I'll check it out, unless you have the eBook and would like to just email to me :-)~

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 21st, 2016, 10:43 pm

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”