Just curious...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mel

Just curious...

Postby mel » January 5th, 2016, 10:21 am

Just being curious: am I the only one (outside the US) who had to pay import turnover tax (VAT) when DHL delivered "Tenyoism" to my doorstep here in Austria???
In short: cost me an additional $ 43,- (€ 41,-)!
And "no"! - I ain´t complaining, --- just wondered, who else got such a surprise (literally speaking)?

AJM

Re: Just curious...

Postby AJM » January 5th, 2016, 10:55 am

I've not been charged anything (so far). Although I would have thought that printed matter / 'educational material' would be exempt.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » January 5th, 2016, 4:35 pm

I had no such charge (in the UK)

performer

Postby performer » January 5th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I don't think Austria is part of the EEC although I may well be wrong. That may have something to do with it. If not, it probably means that DHL are trying to make a bit of extra money. UPS do this constantly by charging a "brokerage fee" which annoys me intensely.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » January 6th, 2016, 4:07 am

I had to pay an extra €37, which was annoying since the postage to Europe was already quite expensive and I was tempted to ask what the additional €37 was for. It happened before on a heavy parcel of books, and someone suggested to me that where possible it might be worth splitting large orders into two lots to avoid the charge. Of course, that wouldn't have worked with Tenyoism. In any case, it's an amazing set of books and one of my best magic purchases in a long time.

Arcato

Just curious...

Postby Arcato » January 6th, 2016, 5:27 am

I didn't have to pay any import fees here in Germany, although my guess is that I was just lucky... usually in Germany you'd have to pay import fees + tax for anything valued over 150,- €, however the import fee is waived if it's a book, but still I'd have to pay the VAT... don't know if it's the same in Austria though....

Return to “General”